Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

How are you guys going about recreating these blast marks? My initial thought was taking a pastel or grafite and smearing it. Thoughts?
e59e76b3c5980c6f83a9af9f67eda6d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any progress been made on lighting the cockpit better. I am not looking for zillion fiber crap but the general illumination makes me so bummed I just slide it back in storage.

I suppose this depends on what bums you.

a) Kit LEDs are too weak: Replace with brighter LEDs (what I have done, page 68 of this thread)
b) Want to have the many little lights light up in the back panel: Paint the transparent back panel and scrape off the paint where light needs to come through (TK4611 executed this in page 74)
c) Want to have the many little lights light up in the side wall panels: Recast the side wall parts with transparent resin and do the same as b).

If not satisfied with the above solutions, I think it would be better to do away with lighting the cockpit, possibly by substituting it with JoeCS 's prop faithful cockpit.
An alternate route would be to just bypass the cockpit and go on to build the other areas, until eventually the motivation to complete the kit builds up so much that it forces you to invent new creative ways to light the cockpit (or to go the zillion fiber route).

a) Kit LEDs are too weak: Replace with brighter LEDs (what I have done, page 68 of this thread)
b) Want to have the many little lights light up in the back panel: Paint the transparent back panel and scrape off the paint where light needs to come through (TK4611 executed this in page 74)
c) Want to have the many little lights light up in the side wall panels: Recast the side wall parts with transparent resin and do the same as b).

If not satisfied with the above solutions, I think it would be better to do away with lighting the cockpit, possibly by substituting it with JoeCS 's prop faithful cockpit.
An alternate route would be to just bypass the cockpit and go on to build the other areas, until eventually the motivation to complete the kit builds up so much that it forces you to invent new creative ways to light the cockpit (or to go the zillion fiber route).

The buttons dont bother me so much as just ambient light so you can see the figures. Will try some bigger smds

The buttons dont bother me so much as just ambient light so you can see the figures. Will try some bigger smds

This is tricky.
If you want the figures to be more visible, you need to put lights in front of the figures, possibly on the floor in front of the figures, or on the back of the front seats.
The important thing is that the light source must not be directly visible from the outside.
Lighting the light bars in the sidewalls shall make the light bars themselves to stand out, and in effect darken the figures in contrast when viewed from a viewing distance.

The easiest way would be to put some lighting fixture to cast light from outside of the model, so that the figures are lit.

About showing the damage on the edges of the hull - I used a pair of smooth needle nose pliers held against my soldering iron for a few second and then just bent and distorted in the places shown in research photos of the real 5'er. If you don't get the pliers too hot it works a treat.

One thing I did notice is that the research photos are almost all close-ups, so the tendency is to make details on the Bandai Falcon larger than the scale will allow. So, less is more on the damage to the hull edges and the blast points.

I used the rectangle and square notches on the hull plating edges as a reference against the photos of the real 5 footer, making sure bandai sized and located them in the right place, which they appear to have done.

On this topic, I wrote to the folks at ParaGrafix and asked if they would be making a photo etch cockpit set like they did for the DeAgostini MF. They told me yes and hopefully it will be ready by late January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was scanning through the ANH blu-ray last night and noticed that there seems to be some visible lights in the studio model cockpit during the backing out of the hangar shot. We know there were LEDs in the two lighter grey dashboard console boxes, but there seems to be an amber light visible on the board of gauges on the top of the cockpit back wall. I also suspect they may have added a couple figures into the Morgan seats because there are some shapes visible that don't correspond to the known details in the cockpit. I wasn't planning to light JoeCS's studio cockpit insert, but it looks like I'll have to do it after all.
Falcon 1.jpgFalcon 2.jpgFalcon 3.png

I was scanning through the ANH blu-ray last night and noticed that there seems to be some visible lights in the studio model cockpit during the backing out of the hangar shot. We know there were LEDs in the two lighter grey dashboard console boxes, but there seems to be an amber light visible on the board of gauges on the top of the cockpit back wall. I also suspect they may have added a couple figures into the Morgan seats because there are some shapes visible that don't correspond to the known details in the cockpit.

Were those lights and figures there before the special edition ?

How are you guys going about recreating these blast marks? My initial thought was taking a pastel or grafite and smearing it. Thoughts?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/e59e76b3c5980c6f83a9af9f67eda6d8.jpg

For those I angled my airbrush and shot it at low pressure similar to how the original was done. I appreciate that is hard to do though at this scale so I cheated on some areas, a dot from a sharpie then quickly smudged in the required direction with a cotton bud can work....

For those I angled my airbrush and shot it at low pressure similar to how the original was done. I appreciate that is hard to do though at this scale so I cheated on some areas, a dot from a sharpie then quickly smudged in the required direction with a cotton bud can work....
When I tried that with my airbrush I couldn't get them small enough. Were you able to o achieve the right size for this scale?

When I tried that with my airbrush I couldn't get them small enough. Were you able to o achieve the right size for this scale?

yeah it is very tricky to do, those marks where made with the airbrush:587939A1-F0AC-430E-AC14-780301539138.png

I believe so, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Well, to add to the conversation here is a photo from the new chronicles book with the same reddish color in the cockpit. It doesn't quite look like an illumination to me, but I can't tell for sure.
8420554e7c92a2d267aed0c205f3869d.jpg

That brownish shape can be seen in nearly every shot in ANH. I've assumed it was meant to be Chewie in the co-pilot seat, notice that it is not there when the Falcon comes aboard the Deathstar as everyone was in the hidden hold by that time. The light is also present, in ANH and ESB non-SE.

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_00.54.01_[2017.12.04_12.45.32].jpgStar Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.03.58_[2017.12.04_12.48.11].jpgStar Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.31.17_[2017.12.04_12.49.25].jpgStar Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.36.34_[2017.12.04_12.54.50].jpgesb.jpg

That ESB cave shot is pretty conclusive evidence that there is some sort of amber/red light in the overheard gauge panel. The light seems pretty concentrated -- it doesn't backlight the entire panel. So is that a fiber optic poking through or is it a light behind the panel illustration that is just too close and giving off a really strong hotspot?

As for "Chewie", there's also definitely something there that isn't in the regular cockpit images. In the ESB cave shot, did they stick a tiny Leia doll in there? She's roughly in the same position she is in the live action shot.

Here's another view of the Han and Chewie figures:

a7267e4c7679e3bf6d7a3ac7a30f8157.jpg

And here's what the lighting in the cockpit was supposed to look like, although I don't think they ever used this many lights in star wars:

lights.jpg

Second photo is from nkg's millennium falcon notes: https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/five-foot-cockpit

This maybe will clear up some questions about the lighting. I will say that the cockpit interior I made is definitely not equipped for 99% of this lighting. You might be able to get away with a light behind the back wall (with all the panels and dials) by drilling a hole in that piece with an xacto. But if you did that, you would have to run an LED through the cockpit tunnel, and if you wanted to swap the cockpit out for the set interior, you'd have to figure out what to do with that LED.

Yeah, I was going to post that cockpit interior shot when I got home. :)

You could wire up a bunch of LEDs and stick them on a plug. Then you'd have a socket inside the cockpit tunnel for when you wanted to swap out cockpit interiors.

Whoa, Joe! That cockpit photo is amazing! It looks like they built the cone sections of the cockpit and attached them directly to a ring (white) connected to a fan motor (also white), which would explain why they made those funky white roll bars on either side -- to connect the top and bottom pieces or (I'd bet) to conceal the wires for the lights. It also definitely looks like the upper gauge panel was intended to be backlit, making that amber light a hot spot.
attachment-1.jpg

Based on these ESB photos, it looks like the dashboard lights could be turned on an off independently of the amber gauge light.
star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-5168.jpgstar-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13573.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back