Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

For my Fine molds Falcon I literally just used an unpainted paper thin sheet of styrene ( although I use a pre-bought, lighting kit from Madman Lighting which used blue LEDs). I wanted to knock back the blue since at the time I was not confident enough to wire an engine glow effect myself as well as try to duplicate the studio model. Although i still used the grill because it was more interesting to look at when the lights are off

I was to go back and redo it, I would have used at least 3 to 6 more LEDs behind the sheet and used cool white instead of blue

before the sheet

effect afterwards

Had not followed this for quite a while as I didn't think they would put this out, as they had put out the 144 TFA Falcon but thought I would check the status as the TLJ is coming out.

Saw it was available last night and it arrives tomorrow. Took about 30 seconds of debating the price, but I have been waiting literally(!) 40 years for this, and while I started a customization on an MPC a few years back, and suprisingly found some of the kit bashed parts of the 5 footer in scale with the MPC (including an ENTEX trasmission!) the bottom line is to create a truly accurate STAR WARS Millenium Falcon, would cost more money (than the Bandai model, most likely), time, and skill that I do not have, although some on this board have succeeded in doing just that.

Now its here and the cost is no more (actually less) than the Fine Molds ESB Falcon. While it may come down in price as time goes on, like TFA Falcon did (and I paid nowhere near $400 for my FM Falcon) I was not going to take the chance that it may sell out never to return, or be reissued as ESB. Because for me the one true Falcon is from STAR WARS with its non "gridded" engines (won't be installing that...) curved hull and 3 landing gears... and always will be.

Last edited:

Hi!Have read this forum with great interest the last weeks. I just bought my Bandai MFP. It is actually the first kit I ever build. Have just finished the copy. Tonight I discovered that The parts "D " to my great horror were missing. Instead, there were two sets of parts marked "E" in the sealed bag. Is there anyone in the forum that has the same problem? I just sent a mail to the seller on ebay. Hope this will be alright otherwise I do not know what to do ...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sombody else missing the parts D in the Kit? In my box IT was double of the parts E insted.....Have read this forum with great interest in recent weeks. I just bought my Bandai MFP. It will be the first building kit I build. Have just finished the copitt. Tonight I had plsombodyaned to go ahead with the construction, but discovered that I lacked the parts marked with "D". Instead, there were two sets of parts marked "E" in the sealed bag. Is there anyone in the forum that has the same ssproblem? I sentsom a message to the seller on ebay. Hope this will be alright otherwise I do not know what to do ...

Just picked up one from Hobbyworld USA for $285 ($302 shipped)! Long way from months ago when I thought it would be a limited Japan-only thing and I was begging my son (who lives there) to get me one ASAP at any price.
Mike Todd

Edit: Oops. Had the wrong price, but now corrected.

Just picked up one from Hobbyworld USA for $285 ($302 shipped)! Long way from months ago when I thought it would be a limited Japan-only thing and I was begging my son (who lives there) to get me one ASAP at any price.
Mike Todd

Edit: Oops. Had the wrong price, but now corrected.
Amazing price!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Merseajohn and Capt Solo! WOW, :thumbsup
You guys are KILLING it with those paint jobs!!!! Top notch and very accurate work!! I'm beyond impressed with the level of accuracy, detail and color you guys have hit on your builds. I'm sorry if I missed it in previous posts, but would you guys mind elaborating on your base colors? Did you start with the AS-20 White then frost over darker shade, or make up a custom blend, or use the Archive X? There's a lot of different approaches I've seen folks use out there, would be curious how you nailed your base color. Again, CONGRATS and nice work!!
-Sean

Merseajohn and Capt Solo! WOW, :thumbsup
You guys are KILLING it with those paint jobs!!!! Top notch and very accurate work!! I'm beyond impressed with the level of accuracy, detail and color you guys have hit on your builds. I'm sorry if I missed it in previous posts, but would you guys mind elaborating on your base colors? Did you start with the AS-20 White then frost over darker shade, or make up a custom blend, or use the Archive X? There's a lot of different approaches I've seen folks use out there, would be curious how you nailed your base color. Again, CONGRATS and nice work!!
-Sean

Merseajohn/J. Simmons primed with Tamiya fine surface primer and the rest was all done with Archive-X. Hope he doesn’t mind me answering on his behalf, it’s just I followed his build on FB from the beginning.

No gunport interiors.

On the studio model, the top one has a unique interior with its own greeblies, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this would be taking it too far :D. What I want to try is painting the gun bay provided by Bandai one solid color of dark gray and see how that looks. If I don't like it, I may scratch build something that resembles what is on the studio model.

On the studio model, the top one has a unique interior with its own greeblies, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this would be taking it too far :D. .

Oh it's taking it WAAAAYY too far -- which is why I'm doing it. :lol I'm throwing something together like this:
gunport.jpeg
On my FM Falcon, I spent time making accurate gunports and even a detailed tunnel with a ladder going between them -- none of which can be seen. So, I'll save the Bandai gunport pieces for the spares box. Yeah, it's crazy to make a nothing interior like on the 5-footer, but replicating the model, not the fictional ship, is my goal.

Has anyone used EL tape to light any part of the model?
Also has anyone opened the door to the cockpit and built a hall way back there?
I received my shipping notice for my kit, the waiting game begins.

EL wire and tape is cool stuff, and there’s plenty of room to stash an inverter. Note that unlike LEDs EL tech has a fairly short lifespan - important if you plan on running the lights a lot. Also the colours are a bit enh - the white approximations in EL do look a bit odd.

Opening up the corridor is easy - just have to remove Bandai’s brackets. Lots of careful snipping with a sprue cutter as the plastic can crack.

Well once I saw that Hobbyworld-USA price tag it was a done deal for me. To good of a price to pass up. Now the waiting begins. It'll give me time to come up with a excuse to the Mrs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back