Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Some more images of John Simmon's Falcon.....just posted on FaceBook

attachment.php

View attachment 773836View attachment 773833View attachment 773837

attachment.php

View attachment 773838View attachment 773839View attachment 773840

J

Woah!.. there are some outstanding paint jobs on this bird!
just hope i can do my Deago justice.

Some more images of John Simmon's Falcon.....just posted on FaceBook

J

Did you color balance these? His FB post had then under yellow lighting. Looks better either way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, he asked me to & approved them

J
Hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate that you didn't have permission mate. Just noticed they looked different and better.

I really like his stand too.

Hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate that you didn't have permission mate. Just noticed they looked different and better.

I really like his stand too.

No....just so you can judge the CC as accurate to the artist

J

So I have a small concern. I am looking at the pipes in the white box. They seem to be just like the ones on the Bandai Ywing. I had terrible luck for some reason breaking those bastards clipping them off the sprue. I cut to close the pipe snaps. Cut to far away the nub is likely to break pipe when you go in for cut 2 or with a blade.

Tips here other than get some sharp cutters.

So I have a small concern. I am looking at the pipes in the white box. They seem to be just like the ones on the Bandai Ywing. I had terrible luck for some reason breaking those bastards clipping them off the sprue. I cut to close the pipe snaps. Cut to far away the nub is likely to break pipe when you go in for cut 2 or with a blade.

Tips here other than get some sharp cutters.

The clipper shall apply some twisting force to the thin parts when the blades go in. You shall be able to see this twist as you 'clip', because those thin pipes shall start to bend when you do. When the parts are bent too much, they shall break.
The tip is to 'clip" very slowly. As soon as you see the pipe starting to bend, rotate the clipper in the opposite direction to counter the twist.
Of course, a fine clipper shall be greatly beneficial.
This way, I was able to complete the assembly without breaking a single pipe.

In some cases, it also seems to make a difference which part you snip first. If a pipe for example, is connected on both ends and also has a connector in the middle of it, I will clip off the connector for the middle part so when I cut the ends it is less prone to break

Hard to explain, hope that makes sense

Also, I've found that if you cut vertically then the force doesn't start twisting, though it leaves more material you have to clean off. If you can get the clippers at the same angle as the sprue gate then it's fine but usually you won't be able to get them in there.

I've only broken one tiny pipe so far, but my main issue is getting the teensy posts into the tiny holes!

Love this thread. I'm keenly taking notes while awaiting mine. Are you guys all completing the assembly for painting later? And is the bare plastic color a good candidate for a no-basepaint, just-wash/weather build? Forgot who it was that did that to his 1/144 that turned out fantastic.

Love this thread. I'm keenly taking notes while awaiting mine. Are you guys all completing the assembly for painting later? And is the bare plastic color a good candidate for a no-basepaint, just-wash/weather build? Forgot who it was that did that to his 1/144 that turned out fantastic.

Paint, always! If your painting skills are in question, you won't go wrong with using the Tamiya spray paint.

I just started mine, finishing up the cockpit as a sub-assembly. Landing gear and gun bays will likely get the same treatment before main assembly than the topcoat and weathering. I plan to paint most the major panels (reds, greys, yellows).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For those who might be afraid to paint it, yes, I think the plastic color is a great "base coat" color. Just matte varnish it and go to town weathering.

I've actually been wrestling with that choice myself

I haven't been brave enough to try it with my Star Wars models yet, but I have done it with the Bandai 1/1000 Yamato stuff.

I had no problems using just Citadel Matte Varnish, White, Black, Burnt and Raw Umber Oil paints thinned with Weber Oderless Turpenoid and pastels (ok the tiny fighters were painted)

I'm a believer in paint....but I've seen some amazing work by people who don't

I agree with blakeh1 on the color of the PG Falcon as well as for the Bandai 1/144 scaled version. I sprayed a very light base coat on the 1/144 scale and then weathered to my liking. I was concerned that with such small detail that i would lose some of that detail and open myself up to some problems with the added weathering and final base coat (globing). Again, this is just a personal preference as I have seen some absolutely incredible paint work by others in this forum. I plan on doing the same for the PG.

I was concerned that with such small detail that i would lose some of that detail and open myself up to some problems with the added weathering and final base coat (globing).

Unless you are using poor quality paint (Testors) this shouldn't be a concern. Any good model paint is designed to not obscure detail. Tamiya, Vallejo, Mr. Color and MRP are the best out there. I primed the 1/350 Falcon with Stynylrez black, then painted it white. There was no loss of any detail. All the bolts, vents, etc retained their detail. As long as you aren't flooding the surface, model paint skin should be thinner than the human eye can detect, and thus not a concern of filling in detail.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back