Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Just a heads up for anyone who lives in the Laurel, MD area... I was in the Hobby Works and they had some (at least two) for $368 (I think). A little rich for my blood, but if you're within driving distance, it might be worth the trip. At that price, I think I'll stick with my old MPC bird.

$368 is a great price

It's cheaper than Amazon's and about the same as others if you factor in shipping

- - - Updated - - -

Remember when everyone worried about Fine Molds losing the Star Wars licence and Bandai might not do as good a job? Lol.

Remember when people were happy that Revell was going to reissue Fine Molds kits

Mine arrived yesterday. Looks like it had to run a blockade and the shipping box took significant battle damage.

But the inner black box was still pristine. Looking inside, the large panels seemed a bit underwhelming after all the hype. As I dug down and the parts got smaller the detail seemed to get finer and finer - a very counterintuitive relationship. I started getting excited.

Excitement morphed into apprehension as I dug into side #2 (inside that big black box it's divided indeed into two compartments, left and right). There were SO MANY friggin' parts. OMG! It would take me years of patient building to put all this together. Let alone PAINT the thing so as to do it any justice at all.

Apprehension transitioned into outright fear as I got to the 'box within the box' filled with piping and stuff I will need to use a microscope to pick and place onto the model - if I ever get that far. I was afraid to look at them too hard lest I break one in two just through the act of observation.

Never even noticed the electronics package - wherever that was hidden. By that point, I had settled on despair as I carefully reversed everything I had done to put the genie back in the box, as it were.

Need to find some way to get worthy before I contemplate opening that box again with intention to do anything but gawk.

Just, wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's not as daunting as you would think.

All you need is patience and a good pair of clippers for building it

For painting it, even if you are not a master class painter, just a nice base coat and some simple pastel weathering and oil washes will go a long way to making it look the part. The key is taking it in small steps. You can always add more weathering, while it is not so easy to remove heavy handed weathering

Think of it this way, it will look much better built and on a shelf with a basic paint job than it will in a box in the closet :D

Pick up the smaller 1/144 or 1/350 version for a test run

Just received mine and I can't believe the detail that this has. it is so tiny and sharp. looks better than the original. Blown away.
Chris1748

Looking through the manual- on page 48 I'm putting black stickers on the bottom side of part V1-why? I can't figure it out. Any help? Thanks!

Looking through the manual- on page 48 I'm putting black stickers on the bottom side of part V1-why? I can't figure it out. Any help? Thanks!
Lab is correct. It lights up like a Christmas tree if you don't.
9c3ed69a74cd486ac545e16379e86c29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06f9c23bd75d8d0cb7a823608d562cce.jpg

Last edited:

Because of the lighting, this will probably be the first kit I'll the read the instructions thoroughly before starting so I can ensure the light is blocked completely where necessary. I'm not likely to buy a second kit so you want to nail everything right the first time. That, and watching the rest of you :)

I didn't really get an answer to my earlier question: which paints are incompatible with Bandai's plastic?

Got my kid - boy I'm gonna muck this up hah.

I will probably build this over a year or so (couple hours here, couple hours there) to make sure I do it right and get inspired by your builds! That will also help justify the price tag if it takes that long (hours to dollars ratio seems more reasonable)

I also have to say the size is really lost in the translation in photos. This really is EXACTLY the size I was hoping for - small enough to easily display, and big enough to be incredibly impressive.

In terms of painting, I am thinking of going to go with the Vallejo paint just because it seems to go on pretty thin and more matte and pastels for some of the rusty spots on the falcon.

For this model, I want to aim for the sprit of ILM, meaning "good enough" in a lot of things.

For those freaking out about the small parts and piping, I'm sure it's been pointed out before but these are molded in a softer, more flexible plastic so there's really no major risk of breaking these parts, and the no-glue assembly (if you choose to go that way) means you can make quite a lot of progress in a short amount of time. It's broken up into very manageable assemblies--I have a feeling I'll have the bulk of it built over the Thanksgiving break.

For those freaking out about the small parts and piping, I'm sure it's been pointed out before but these are molded in a softer, more flexible plastic so there's really no major risk of breaking these parts, and the no-glue assembly (if you choose to go that way) means you can make quite a lot of progress in a short amount of time. It's broken up into very manageable assemblies--I have a feeling I'll have the bulk of it built over the Thanksgiving break.

The soft plastic is actually more of a worry since people have had a hard time with its reaction to certain thinners

Not much done, but I started on my kit today

I love the figures I have seen for sale, but I just couldn't justify spending even more money after already blowing my yearly model budget.

So I decided to try reposing them best I can.

I had hoped to be able to cut/shave off the existing arms and then just do some clean-up using greenstuff .
I mangled Chebacca's right arm, but I was able to rescue most of Chewie's left arm

I lost Han's right one when it shot off the bench. I had it bounce, but after a half hour of crawling around could not find it so I gave up looking and sculpted a replacement

While not perfect, at this small scale they will be good enough

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back