Westworld (HBO)

Oh William believes Emily is dead, for sure. Because he doesn't know the profile card was in the music box (which Emily implied she never found). So as far as being a major point in William's life, you're correct.

I took it as she implied she didn’t find it after she threw it out...not that she never found it.

This is her exact line:
I threw it away. I told her that if she wasn't drunk all the time, she'd know that I hadn't danced in years. And then afterwards, I went to get it back because I felt bad, but the trash had already been emptied and it was gone. I pushed her away and then it was too late. But it's not too late for us.”

To me this line doesn’t suggest she never found the box, just that she thought it was gone when she went to get it out of the trash. The fact that she later found the box with the card in it is how she knew the card was meant for her, and how she knew it was her mom that left it.

That said, they never did show the result of her scan...so it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if she was a host...but if she was, it really diminishes the impact of the scene.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's real and so was his daughter, they scanned her int he background and the tech guy just stood up and said nothing before William gunned them down.

He may have been waiting to hear what they said about william before reporting. He never got the chance.

Keep in mind we saw Williams scan, we did not see hers and we did not hear a result.

I took it as she implied she didn’t find it after she threw it out...not that she never found it.

This is her exact line:
I threw it away. I told her that if she wasn't drunk all the time, she'd know that I hadn't danced in years. And then afterwards, I went to get it back because I felt bad, but the trash had already been emptied and it was gone. I pushed her away and then it was too late. But it's not too late for us.”

To me this line doesn’t suggest she never found the box, just that she thought it was gone when she went to get it out of the trash. The fact that she later found the box with the card in it is how she knew the card was meant for her, and how she knew it was her mom that left it.

That said, they never did show the result of her scan...so it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if she was a host...but if she was, it really diminishes the impact of the scene.

Yeah, her Mom may have found the box in the trash and saved it for her.

Question is what are they scanning? Looking for the explosives in the neck possibly. Since he has been outside the park he wouldn't have them in his neck. Also Bernard had his DNA scanned and was cleared. So I am not sure a clear with the neck scan means anything. Also if you freeze framed the final episode preview, you see something very interesting.

Well, it IS digital....

just add into the scan function:

if HostID = <Bernard> or HostID=<Willaim> Then
'report as human
End if

Not hard. Obviously you have to hide it, but that's how simple it is to exclude them.

As for the scan, you'd think they could devise something to scan for certain materials. If they have a USB port in their arm, there has to be metals in there.

The music box is irrelevant, she never said that she found it in the music box. She said, "I read your profile, mom left it for me". Mom puts profile in music box, puts it where Emily can find it.

I've been avoiding this thread because I just want to binge the whole season when it's over. How many episodes left this season?

If they are doing the same amount of episodes they did in season 1 then this sunday should be the last episode. In the previews for this week it also looked like things were coming to the end for this go around.

I’m so pumped for tonight.

I want to skip lip work and just watch the whole season this afternoon so it finishes right at the start of the season finale.

Any guesses as to who lives and who dies?

I’m so pumped for tonight.

I want to skip lip work and just watch the whole season this afternoon so it finishes right at the start of the season finale.

Any guesses as to who lives and who dies?

I don't think it matters who lives and who dies unless they are not doing anymore seasons. As we have seen this season even the dead come back to life at some point even if it is an earlier timeline or just in someones mind.

You know, other than the obvious first film, I think the show's borrowing from the attempted spin-offs. I mean, the whole "copying a human being" thing and Shogan World comes from the follow up film Futureworld. And with the way tonight's episode ended, It kinda seems like the starting of a similar premise to the previous attempt at making Westworld a TV series, Beyond Westworld. I could be wrong on that regard.

We do get an answer about the scanner thing from the previous episode. But, I'm not sure about the post credit scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow.

Again, really felt like a series finale more than a season finale.

I'm not sure that post credit scene is meant to jive with the episode. I think the way it was cut was meant to be a narrative zig, but I also have a feeling, well, that it's a very different timeline. Though it could bring into question much of what we saw this season too. Any scene with him is now suspect.

Wow.

Again, really felt like a series finale more than a season finale.

I'm not sure that post credit scene is meant to jive with the episode. I think the way it was cut was meant to be a narrative zig, but I also have a feeling, well, that it's a very different timeline. Though it could bring into question much of what we saw this season too. Any scene with him is now suspect.

In the EW.com Q/A about the episode, Jonah Nolan basically said that final scene was set in a fairly distant future.

Here was the exact question and answer:

Question: Your Marvel-like post credits sequence with William and his daughter that brought us back to the horrifying James Delos fidelity apartment. My read was that Dolores printed out a version of the Man in Black and his daughter using the park’s secret guest data to leave them entombed in The Forge to do the fidelity test for all eternity and that scene takes place many years later. But that it doesn’t mean the Man in Black was a host previously or that he’s not still alive in the real world like we saw with him in the tent. Is that more or less how we should be interpreting this?

Answer: I’d agree with a lot of that. They do explicitly say they’re not in the system. And we do see the ruins of it. So that does suggest in that scene we are further in the future. We’d always said with this story we wanted to consider the beginning, middle and the end the of the emergence of a new form of life on Earth and we managed to cover a lot of those bases in this season.

Agree 100% that this could have easily served as a series finale...but opened the door (see what I did there) for a really interesting Season 3.

Last edited:
Re: HBO gives us a "Westworld" remake as a series!

My brain hurts.

Yes, watched the post-credits scene.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was a LOT to unpack in that episode.

The two different timelines in this season really kept me on my toes. In the first season, once we all kind of became keen to the idea that William and William were the same person, it became a bit easier to figure out which timeline you were in. This season, though, it was more difficult because we didn't have one timeline with Jimmi Simpson and one with Ed Harris playing the same character...we had two weeks between the slaughter at Ford's speech and all the hosts ending up "dead." It definitely made it a bit harder to keep up, especially if your mind started to wander at all trying to think about OTHER things going on in the episode/story.

CB2001, this one confused me - can you help explain? Thanks!!

At the end when Dolores/Charlotte is leaving the island, they scan her and it comes up clear.

So this means that:
1. It's possible that Ford is manipulating the code in the scanners so that they do in fact clear hosts as humans when Ford desires.
2. It's possible to build a host without the explosives in it's head so that the scanner comes back clear.

This means that they've left the door open to the fact that William did NOT actually kill his own daughter, but did kill a host version of her. We saw Emily come back with what appeared to be a clear reading...at least, the guy doing the reading didn't instantly train his weapon her, so it alluded to her being cleared, which left us to believe that she was in fact William's actual daughter.

After seeing tonight that the scanner didn't reveal that Dolorlette was in fact a host, we can't be 100% certain that Emily was in fact William's real daughter.

I still feel that she was...as that will ultimately be the most important thing in William's life, and will ultimately be his "cornerstone" if you will. I also feel that it would really cheapen that event on screen for us as viewers to reveal that the real Emily is alive and well back home in her giant palace of a house. That said, we do know that the scanners don't tell the whole truth about who's a host and who's not.

Cool, cool - thanks...! Yeah, that's sort of what I thought - I just didn't know if there was any on screen manipulation/explanation/interaction, or we were just sort of supposed to figure out for ourselves that those things aren't always correct, or simply hacked.

Thanks again!

At the end when Dolores/Charlotte is leaving the island, they scan her and it comes up clear.

So this means that:
1. It's possible that Ford is manipulating the code in the scanners so that they do in fact clear hosts as humans when Ford desires.
2. It's possible to build a host without the explosives in it's head so that the scanner comes back clear.

This means that they've left the door open to the fact that William did NOT actually kill his own daughter, but did kill a host version of her. We saw Emily come back with what appeared to be a clear reading...at least, the guy doing the reading didn't instantly train his weapon her, so it alluded to her being cleared, which left us to believe that she was in fact William's actual daughter.

After seeing tonight that the scanner didn't reveal that Dolorlette was in fact a host, we can't be 100% certain that Emily was in fact William's real daughter.

I still feel that she was...as that will ultimately be the most important thing in William's life, and will ultimately be his "cornerstone" if you will. I also feel that it would really cheapen that event on screen for us as viewers to reveal that the real Emily is alive and well back home in her giant palace of a house. That said, we do know that the scanners don't tell the whole truth about who's a host and who's not.

There's the third option as well: William being a host the whole time like he suspected towards the end of previous episode before the season finale.

But, yeah, tonight's episode clarified that the scanner tech isn't reliable as we thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back