Westworld (HBO)

Re: HBO gives us a "Westworld" remake as a series!

Is "Futureworld" worth watching?

Also I wonder if they are going to factor in roman work and medieval world into the HBO show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched this with my family, we all enjoyed it. A bit awkward with the sex scenes and all the dongs.. Some GREAT casting for this show, a lot of interesting stuff going on too. I've never seen the old movie though, do you guys think watching it would potentially spoil anything?

I watched this with my family, we all enjoyed it. A bit awkward with the sex scenes and all the dongs.. Some GREAT casting for this show, a lot of interesting stuff going on too. I've never seen the old movie though, do you guys think watching it would potentially spoil anything?

It seems when a show is made for HBO or Showtime they have nudity because they can have it and not because it advances the story to any particular decree. In the case of Westworld the case can be made that some of it is needed although I don't see why they need the hosts to be naked when they are interviewing them other than to provide some excitement for the viewers and cast.

Is "Futureworld" worth watching?

Also I wonder if they are going to factor in roman work and medieval world into the HBO show

I saw Futureworld when it first came out and don't remember anything about it other than it starred Peter Fonda and that they filmed some of it at NASA in Alabama or Florida so that should tell you something about it. I've also watched Westworld a number of times since it came out in 1973 but have not seen Futureworld since it first came out.

If they are going to connect back to the original movies it probable wouldn't be a bad idea to watch both of them again or for the first time if you have never seen either of them.

Last edited:
Watching and liking it so far. Interested to see where it goes.

I enjoyed the small twist with the boy that was a host. Nice play off the other kid that was a guest in episode 1.

It seems when a show is made for HBO or Showtime they have nudity because they can have it and not because it advances the story to any particular decree. In the case of Westworld the case can be made that some of it is needed although I don't see why they need the hosts to be naked when they are interviewing them other than to provide some excitement for the viewers and cast.

I look at it like they're doing a full eval, both psych and physical and need to see if there's any damage to the host prior to putting them back out.
Even though they say they can't harm a human, I wonder if they still want to make absolutely sure they don't have anything on them that could be used as a weapon incase they malfunction during the evaluations.[

QUOTE=Gator Fett;4098381]I enjoyed the small twist with the boy that was a host. Nice play off the other kid that was a guest in episode 1.[/QUOTE]

It has a bit of the Battlestar Galactica feel of not always know right away if the people your seeing are human or machine.

I look at it like they're doing a full eval, both psych and physical and need to see if there's any damage to the host prior to putting them back out.
Even though they say they can't harm a human, I wonder if they still want to make absolutely sure they don't have anything on them that could be used as a weapon incase they malfunction during the evaluations.

I enjoyed the small twist with the boy that was a host. Nice play off the other kid that was a guest in episode 1.

It has a bit of the Battlestar Galactica feel of not always know right away if the people your seeing are human or machine.

They're probably nude because they either came from, or are going to, a deep cleaning/bathing around the interview. After all, let us not forget that guests like to screw these creations as well as kill them, so the last thing the game-runners want is a guest getting an STD because the ****bot wasn't properly sanitized at the end of the day...

There appears to be nothing stopping one guest from scalping, knifing, hanging or otherwise doing a lot of harm to other guests. What would have happened if the host Ed Harris scalped turned out to be a guest? Would someone have been able to stop him before he hurt or killed them?

Yes - the real life logistics of running such an "attraction" and the very foundation of the show. This is something I'd like ironed out before I can comfortably commit myself to any deeper storyline.

What is to stop a guest (at best) unintentionally ruining another guests stay or (at worst) seriously injuring them by mistaking them for a host? I get the feeling that this is an aspect the writers would rather gloss over.

Yes - the real life logistics of running such an "attraction" and the very foundation of the show. This is something I'd like ironed out before I can comfortably commit myself to any deeper storyline.

What is to stop a guest (at best) unintentionally ruining another guests stay or (at worst) seriously injuring them by mistaking them for a host? I get the feeling that this is an aspect the writers would rather gloss over.

Hard to say....

The second episode shows two guys... one a repeat guest. He seems to have been to the attraction so many times he can't even enjoy the realism of it because he knows all of the routine/repeat cues of the hosts. So I would imagine he's not as much of a threat to other guests as the guy who goes in planning on raping and pillaging right off the train... How do they know they're not attacking another guest. The only failsafe regarding weapons seems to be the guns. What's the stop someone from stabbing another guest though.

Hard to say....

The second episode shows two guys... one a repeat guest. He seems to have been to the attraction so many times he can't even enjoy the realism of it because he knows all of the routine/repeat cues of the hosts. So I would imagine he's not as much of a threat to other guests as the guy who goes in planning on raping and pillaging right off the train... How do they know they're not attacking another guest. The only failsafe regarding weapons seems to be the guns. What's the stop someone from stabbing another guest though.

If we can accept that one of those guns can fire a "bullet" that hurts a physical host, but bounces off a human, that technology is absolutely plausible for a knife.

They haven't glossed over it - they have set a rule (regardless of the physics behind that rule) and they can abide by it. The introduction host even says "Real enough...but you can't kill anyone you're not supposed to."

We can't always expect a full explanation from a show (something I think a lot of viewers seem hellbent on making an issue nowadays) - sometimes the fact they tell us something is this way has to be enough.

If we can accept that one of those guns can fire a "bullet" that hurts a physical host, but bounces off a human, that technology is absolutely plausible for a knife.

For myself that would be stretching plausability beyond fictional reasonability, at present.

That would entail that absolutely every inanimate object in Westworld that is capable of being used as a weapon is able to somehow neutralise itself intelligently when used as a weapon. How exactly would that work? My dinner knife crumbles as I lunge at someone with it? I smash a bottle to stab someone and it turns to dust? I take my belt off to strangle someone and it knows to snap? And what about my bare hands as a weapon?

The writers seem to want to have their cake and eat it, they show the pride the attraction runners take in a guest not being able to distinguish guest from host, and the selling point of the attraction is (apparently) unfettered immersive fantasy, but they don't show how that could be more of a problem before anything like the hosts showing sentience.

They haven't really shown WHAT WESTWORLD is. Could be a holodeck?

For myself that would be stretching plausability beyond fictional reasonability, at present.

That would entail that absolutely every inanimate object in Westworld that is capable of being used as a weapon is able to somehow neutralise itself intelligently when used as a weapon. How exactly would that work? My dinner knife crumbles as I lunge at someone with it? I smash a bottle to stab someone and it turns to dust? I take my belt off to strangle someone and it knows to snap? And what about my bare hands as a weapon?

The writers seem to want to have their cake and eat it, they show the pride the attraction runners take in a guest not being able to distinguish guest from host, and the selling point of the attraction is (apparently) unfettered immersive fantasy, but they don't show how that could be more of a problem before anything like the hosts showing sentience.

But everything the guests wear and use is created by Westworld. Unique, custom gear remember? That could conceivably cover most items used in a killing situation. Again, surely you are utterly non believing (in terms of show) in the case of the bullets that bounce off guests then? Or do you accept that technology (without knowing its intricacies?)

In terms of bare hands, they monitor guest activity 24/7 as far as I can see - they would be able to intervene I would imagine - and that is if a host doesn't immediately get involved to split the offenders up. Whats to say the hosts arent programmed to protect guests at all costs?

And one more thought - more of a question - have we been shown that guests can even come across each other? As far as I can see, we've only seen instances of guests that already know each other, such as families or two friends. If there is an instance of seeing two people, unknown to each other coming across each other that I havent seen, then fair play. If that is the case - you no more need to worry about bare handed killing then you do about three friends on the street.

I think it's a very harsh viewpoint on the show when there hasn't been definitive evidence of what you're suggesting, yet there is tangible evidence that can lead us to assume things in a positive light - and as I've said, the watcher must also be involved with a show, we don't need every detail meticulously laid out for us I don't think. I think we have a good balance of intrigue, mystery and knowledge so far.

We know this is Westworld and that things have messed up before and are starting to go south again which means hosts are going to start killing guests so I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that guests might start killing other guests and they have no way of stopping it. One of the main points of the original movies were not to trust all the new technology with your very life and I don't see that changing.

They say they have this show mapped out for 5 seasons.
Going to be interesting how they "drag" it out. The original movie was a fairly simple concept that was simply executed.

We're enjoying Westworld and are looking forward to see how this story unfolds. I loved seeing Harris's character sporting that LeMat revolver! I stopped the show to point it out to my wife. For once I'd like to see a character properly load a blackpowder revolver. Powder, ball, (wad/lubricant of choice) and cap!

One observation- the company is working hard to create robots that look and act so very human. All so the guests can treat them so inhuman! It is an interesting take on the human condition. Or as has been hinted at, the company has other plans for this entire project?...

They say they have this show mapped out for 5 seasons.
Going to be interesting how they "drag" it out. The original movie was a fairly simple concept that was simply executed.

Same way BSG was dragged out.
The movie was malfunctioning androids.
The show is more along the lines of androids becoming self-aware or developing feelings, emotions, etc.
They said in the show they're designed to interact with one another to become more "human". At what point do they actually become human... when they start imitating the humans by killing and raping everything around them and taking actual pleasure in it like real humans do?

Same way BSG was dragged out.
The movie was malfunctioning androids.
The show is more along the lines of androids becoming self-aware or developing feelings, emotions, etc.
They said in the show they're designed to interact with one another to become more "human". At what point do they actually become human... when they start imitating the humans by killing and raping everything around them and taking actual pleasure in it like real humans do?

The introduction host made a valid (that has been used many times I know) but still wonderfully hard hitting point - "If you can't tell, does it matter?"

I like how once they mentioned that the hosts will talk to one another to practice, some of the conversations we'd seen previously take on a different light.

I felt it has A LOT of the BSG feel to it where it's humans encountering some "alien" sentience where some good/evil characters exist on both sides of the conflict and existential questions arise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back