Westworld (HBO)

I finally watched the first episode last night and thought it was very good. It came as a complete surprise that the Gunslinger was the human and the one that looked to be the hero turned out to be another host. I'm wondering what his back story is since it appears that he has been coming to Westworld for many years and has some sort of objective. I'm trying to figure out who Deloris was in the original movie since she is the oldest host there is.

The second episode is available online now, a few days before it airs. Just finished it, and after also feeling a bit underwhelmed with the first episode, I enjoyed this one a lot more.

It's a little too early to start making predictions about where the story is going to go, but this episode at least gives you a few ideas, hints, and an impression that something bad is coming.

So cool of HBO to released the second episode early. I love the idea of a game within a game. up down up down left right left right A B A B start!

I like how it's hard to read the different characters true motivations. The dude shut down that conversation pretty quick, lol. And how bad can you feel for the hosts when the man in black is on to something?! I'm waiting for him to hurt a real person. But I suspect a twist. Mayhaps the girl will actually hurt someone.

I really liked the way Stubbs was shown video of The Man in Black, told he killed a whole posse and without batting an eye said "That gentleman gets whatever he wants." That was done so well all around, and only made that characters story (and the mystery around what he's chasing) more compelling for me. It was a great little moment I thought

That scene with the dad, child and mother after the shootout with the man in black. To know that they are hosts and are only simulating everything and yet to witness it and feel it - heartbreaking.

And the second episode made me want a clean room, tailored to myself, with a horde of western clothes, guns etc. The mash up of sci-fi and western is beautiful.

Re: HBO gives us a "Westworld" remake as a series!

Well no one else has mentioned it...

The Man in Black carries a LeMat revolver

The base gun for Jaynes gun in Firefly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well no one else has mentioned it...

The Man in Black carries a LeMat revolver

The base gun for Jaynes gun in Firefly

He even used the shotgun under barrel! Shiny!

Plus it was some how magically a cartridge conversion which, to my knowledge, they never made.
The "shotgun" was just filled with shot which wouldn't have penetrated that wall. But whatever. It's a show about robot cowboys so can't be picky.

Plus it was some how magically a cartridge conversion which, to my knowledge, they never made.
The "shotgun" was just filled with shot which wouldn't have penetrated that wall. But whatever. It's a show about robot cowboys so can't be picky.

I saw that too, it was a cartridge conversion just like Jayne's which got me thinking if it was he same prop???

Interesting idea
It WAS the Navy version with lanyard ring and the trigger guard

It was common in the late 1800s to have cap and ball revolvers converted to use cartridges by gunsmiths. Firearms were expensive, and you didn't throw away a perfectly good weapon, just because the technology changed. Especially if you could have that weapon modified to use the new technology. Many people liked their converted revolver, because they could carry extra cylinders already loaded, just like they did when it was a cap and ball firearm.

David.

But the only LeMat I've seen converted was a carbine

After watching Sunday's episode I was reminded of something I thought about when I saw the movie back in 1973. In the movie James Brolin tells Richard Benjamin that one guest can't shoot another guest because the guns have sensor's in them. This was also touched upon in the new show when Ed Harris was shot by a host and nothing happened to him. Seeing Ed Harris scalp a host in the first episode and others being scalped in Sunday's episode reminded me that they never said anything about other ways in which quests could hurt or kill other guests. There appears to be nothing stopping one guest from scalping, knifing, hanging or otherwise doing a lot of harm to other guests. What would have happened if the host Ed Harris scalped turned out to be a guest? Would someone have been able to stop him before he hurt or killed them?

I have a hypothesis. I'm watching the first episode right now, and there's a mention that the park hasn't had a critical failure in over 30 years. I'm just spitballing here, but what if the show is actually a continuation of the films? Think about it, the original company that owned the park goes under after the Futureworld failure. So, another company bought the park, saw how popular Westworld was, and revamped the park to focus on that, and it's been working like that for over 30 years. Is this idea something so far out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

philosophically... take away the guns from everyone on earth, same premise, there are other ways to kill each other and they will be used ;)

to point though, not sure how this was applicable in Roman World, a sword isn't a mechanical

I think it might be a giant holodeck, how else can you walk through a door and be on a moving train that also had other guests in?

That would also prevent real people from being scalped or hanged.

But the other thing I noticed is that there was a bunch of knives in the selection room so its possible the knives have sensors in them too, and the blades retreat inside the handle when they sense a human, which is why the two techs were so worried, as for the first time a host had a real knife.

I love that too!!!

Watching E2 now... Radiohead is the first song on the player piano. Too cool.

So far I like this show. The last few scenes, especially with the "interview" of Abernathy, are amazing. He has amazing range in my opinion. I hope his decommissioning isn't a permanent removal from the show at least.

There's a lot of potential to explore in this show.
- Are humans really such base savages being held back by the rules of society? There's several references by the staff about "rape and pillaging" and how some of the staff seems to be kind of disgusted by what the park brings out in people.
- What's the deal with the Man in Black? He's a guest. He's been in the park for a while... so he must either be stupid rich, or something else entirely.
Is it possible the park is also a prison of some kind?
- What's causing the malfunctions? Is it Anthony Hopkin's character setting the stages for his next big story?

Can't wait for more.

Last edited:

I watched the original film last night.
It makes me wonder is this film canon with the show ?

It makes mention of an incident that occurred over thirty years ago.

I think the sub-level they go to in the first episode is the lobby from the movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back