The wasp Costume ??

LH Art

Hi all

I have been following the forum for years, but this will be my first post.
I want to make the wasp costume that are briefly seen at the end scene in Antman. I am still researching and I will try and post about my Progress. For now am trying to decide on materials and I am having a really hard time deciding which direction to take, so this is where I was hoping for some thoughts from some of all the very talented people on this forum.

fHP2xbu.jpg

I originally thought leather, but I am not very experienced in working with leather and now I am having doubts that it is possible to make the costume so tight fitting using leather, wouldn't it be horrible to Wear? If it is leather what type?
i am pretty certain that the gold parts aer leather, since they look shaped and stamped, but i guess you would need to use veg. tan lether to make that effect? everybody I have asked keep telling me veg. tan lether is way to stiff for any type of garment?
The blue parts, could it be a some type of heavy spandex? neoprene? or would leather still be the best option?
I am completely stuck trying to decide what mateirals to buy, any knowledge or ideas anyone of you might have would be greatly appreciated.

LH

It's almost certainly all screen printed fabric like all the other marvel costumes and I'd imagine shaped foam for the chest are to keep its shape.
Your best bet unless you can afford to have all the fabric custom is to look for fabric with a similar pattern (preferably in a jumbo spandex) to sew it with. You can add a breast plate underneath the fabric if you want to or just let the spandex shape over your own.

The helmet I'd recommend getting someone like DO3D to make and get it printed.
Same for parts of the wings (circle section) the use some thin plastic to make the wings and use a sharp knife to cut detail into it.

Hope this helps

Sent From The Batcave

@TheRocketeer was working on a wasp helmet from the sequences in the movie, If you show interest there's a chance he'll complete that. Post in his thread if its something you think you'd buy, Otherwise maybe post there that you'd be interested in the newer version. he makes a good quality product! The one from the end scene will likely change for the second ant-man movie, so if you want to do a modern wasp I'd probably wait for there to be some proper source material for the final version :p

Those are my two cents at least! I haven't seen anyone tackle that particular version as of yet (the one hanging from the wall)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246325

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are building a Hope Van Dyne Wasp suit for her for DragonCon this year.

She's researched and is doing all the soft parts (a huge undertaking considering the variety and complexity of the materials involved), and I'm working on the helmet, blasters, backpack, and (operational) wings.

I'm doing Hank Pym again this year, and I've almost completed my Portable Office building as seen in the trailers.

Details on the Pym Portable Office are over here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=292124

The Wasp costume is on display at the Arclight Hollywood Cinema. I forgot that there is usually a display there when I went to see a movie yesterday so I didn't take my good camera or stay after dark to avoid the glare, but still got some decent pictures with my iPhone 8. Here's an album with the shots I got. There's also Albums with Ant Man and Ghost.

Wasp Costume.jpg

Wasp: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154476314@N03/albums/72157697967356284

Ant Man: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154476314@N03/albums/72157696788649511

Ghost: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154476314@N03/albums/72157697967457924

Last edited:
I'm working on a Wasp suit from the latest movie but the reference images have confused me. The pictures taken on set seem to have the main parts of the suit seem like a dark blue but in the references images above and others I've gathered show the main parts black. So I'm very confused as to which colour is more accurate

The black leather-like material has holes punched in it with a blue backing material so it can look like a dark blue with the mixing of colors.

The Wasp costume is on display at the Arclight Hollywood Cinema. I forgot that there is usually a display there when I went to see a movie yesterday so I didn't take my good camera or stay after dark to avoid the glare, but still got some decent pictures with my iPhone 8. Here's an album with the shots I got. There's also Albums with Ant Man and Ghost.

View attachment 827360

Wasp: Wasp Costume

Ant Man: Ant Man Costume

Ghost: Ghost Costume

Thanks!

I saw the build for TK-326 and his wife's from Dragon Con. Amazing. Still not approaching their level but it's a goal. Has anyone else gotten a Wasp done? I'd love to see pics and share notes!

I built the HVD Wasp costume for SDCC 2019. Some of it was last minute, so a lot of scrambling and not quite what I wanted. But I ended up with a solid version 1. The current helmet is a bad foam job. Wrist cuffs and backpack are a 3d print that needs some rework to get closer to screen accurate.

I commissioned the soft part but it needs work to get it looking better, it's not very breathable, and is VERY restrictive. I'm probably going to get some 4-way stretch printed to match the pattern and replace the area in the armpit through much of the inside upper arm so it breathes more (or at all). The torso is also a touch too long so it bunches. The silver accents should be more of a gold color, so I'm going to paint/dye those. The gloves also need to be redone. I sent those back twice and they ended up sending me all of it and spare material so I hand sewed them closer to fitting. Still too small and weird fitment. But I'm probably stuck with that as is since the pleather pattern will be hard to find.

Version 2.0 helmet is in progress. It's about 1/3 printed so far.

Backpack 2.0 will have swappable wings (small to large) and LEDs. I'm tempted to try the motorized wings as that's way closer to my skill set than sewing. haha

Attachments

• 67473709_2875921835757752_6694700553752018944_n.jpg
    67473709_2875921835757752_6694700553752018944_n.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 67330193_2875922002424402_6405822513711939584_n.jpg
    67330193_2875922002424402_6405822513711939584_n.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 105
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back