MPC Millennium Falcon Upgrade Kit Mk.II, HH

hey Mark,

I completely agree with you on the element of John Williams. He was here a few years back at the PHX symphony, surprise guest, Mr. Spielberg no less. A friend of mine who is also a SW fan, flew in from Maui to go with. The gal I was seeing at the time had no interest, hence the extra ticket. Anyway, got the autographed 2 CD set and it's in the player in either vehicle more than anything else.

I get what you're saying about the cockpit, and thank you for the explanation by the way. I have seen plenty of shots, particularly the shots from above, where the MPC cockpit and tube look close to right. it's those side shots from the cockpit side where it's looks so much bigger on screen. I'm not one of those that's trying to get 100% screen accurate, just want it to look good and generally proportionate. After reading your reply here, I think maybe to quench my own visual satisfaction, I might attempt a second layer of armor plating with an appropriately thicker sheet of styrene, stagger the panel gaps and tape it on, and see how that looks. should be fairly easy and quick and certainly doesn't require any surgery to the upper hull piece. And if it doesn't look right, easily reversed.

I had considered at one point, to do the DeAugustino or whatever it's called, but I eventually concluded that it would be a money pit and likely have things about it I didn't like as well. Not to mention, as you said...where would I put it? Wall mount I'd suppose. Anyway, I have fun doing the MPC's, needless to say I no longer need the instructions. I bought a Revell/FM but probably won't touch it for some time. I only got it cause the price was right and I was curious to see one first hand.
Well sir, I can't thank you enough for the explanation you were good enough to take the time with. Most kind. Sure like to see some of your work if you care to share.

Thanks again Mark

Weeellll, I’m still a bit older than you. I was in engineering college when I first saw Star Wars. Effects-wise, there really wasn’t anything out there that compared to it on such a grand scale. Add John Williams’ music to it and the whole is greater than sum of the parts.

Regarding the cockpit, your instincts do you credit (but they could be made to serve the emperor (sorry, I couldn’t resist)): it is complicated. The first issue is the model kit top and bottom are based largely on old photos of ”5-footer” of its top and bottom shot square on (as much as they tried) that we the public now have access to…perspective errors and all. This is why, for example that the antenna dish appears way too big compared to the cockpit, making the cockpit look too small. If you look at a top view photograph, you will see this. The second issue is the kit mandibles are too big for some reason, also giving rise to the “illusion” that the cockpit is too small. I say “illusion” (in quotes) because depending on the level of the horizontal plane one wishes to correct the kit to could make the cockpit larger or smaller, which really goes back to the first issue. Many other greeblies would also be of an incorrect size depending where they lie radially on the saucer surface, the curvature of which places each item in differing planes with respect to the camera, compounding the effort to correct the kit. So these items are out of whack with respect to one another making the kit truly nightmarish to make accurate.

Assuming one cares not for one’s sanity, the best thing to do is to scale the ”5-footer” dimensions down to approximately kit size, tweaking the scaling so as to minimize the errors, or at least minimize the hardest things to correct for. This was the mad path down which I was going until I was convinced to scratch a model in 1 to 1 scale with the ”5-footer”. The advantages of this approach are 1) not having to scale down each and every greebly and 2) it would be easier to scratch an interior with some degree of accuracy. The disadvantage is where to put it in my house, and the weight.

Mark

Well, it depends on if Haystack is doing a run of the kits. The first time around I think they did 25, and mine was numbered 19/25. I guess it took about a month, maybe a little less. You can just ask him, either email the site, or find one of his posts and ask through here. He's a super nice dude, he'll let you know what's happening in shipping and production.
hope that helps. BTW...if you are by chance doing a gear down build, get the landing ramp and hydraulics, and the ESB extra landing gear housings and landing gear from Shapeways. I'd also recommend the cockpit "set" from Shapeways as well. JMO[
QUOTE=Jeducos;4263657]I placed an order for an upgrade kit back on May 11th. Any eta on shipping? Appreciate your response. Thx[/QUOTE]

I was trying to pm him via this thread but it ended up on the thread amd when I tried to erase I couldn't figure it out!! Duh!

I will send him an email. And yes, already a very satisfied Shapeways customer!

Ha! same here. I think in the past 6 or 7 months I've probably bought almost everything Tony makes for these. just got a set of the recently updated 5 footer docking collars. they be nice.
I was trying to pm him via this thread but it ended up on the thread amd when I tried to erase I couldn't figure it out!! Duh!

I will send him an email. And yes, already a very satisfied Shapeways customer!

@ gt350pony66…not that it matters, but it was stupidly late so I failed to include the other kit issues of wrong hull curvature (too flat), sketchy top greeblies, too high sidewalls, and reeeeeally wrong sidewall greeblies. Of course you know all this since you are here basking in HH’s lovely sidewall efforts.

Mark

I'm sort of reminded of that old joke about George Washington's axe. It's had three new handles and two new heads, but it was once George Washington's axe!

At what point is it still an MPC Falcon once all the glaringly wrong stuff has been replaced? :)

Buckey,
I hadn't seen this post of yours before, must have missed it. Now I see what happened... brother, that is hideous, but I think you have several things working against you. first and foremost, two words, "test fit" again and again. second, and this is probably the worst thing, these kits were crap to begin with, even if you have a nice early one without a lot of flash and it's not all warped from time. I think your hull pieces, certainly the lower, is warped all to h3ll. I've seen this a lot in the kits I've done. I've got one that so bad it's not worth trying to build. I suppose I'll try the wife's hair dryer on it, see if I cant salvage it. But man I'm telling you, ALL these kits have warped hull pieces even if they've been stored flat. if they were stored standing on end or the box side, those are the worst but can be salvaged. And the use of rubber bands, painters tape and hobby clamps where ever you can put them also helps with this warpty BS. Another thing that helps is the LaserBond stuff. A
nyway, cockpit lower tube is a bitch even on a stock build. you really have to massage the crap out of them to get them to fit right with a short wall build. that cockpit sidewall gap, I've run into that, looks like you need to set your wall back further, and where the walls meet the wing panels close to the docking collars you either need to just use the sock wing panels and cut like a 1/4 inch out of the middle and glue back together...use you xacto saw...or set you walls clear to the edge and shim the other end if needed with that stock stuff in the green and white packages at the hobby store.
I can clearly see where you'd run into all these problems if this is the first time building this kit and especially with the mod parts. I feel bad for you dude, in fact...if you want to take another run at this kit, I've got a closet full, like 10 or 12. I had intended to build and sell so I just kept buying then on ebay when the price was good. if you want I'll sell you one for a smoking deal cause I'll likely NEVER build all of these. Besides, your paint job pics were an inspiration to me to take another direction with my painting and to get the air brush out and distance myself from the rattle cans. my current build is way better than any previous, and the paint is progressing awesome...I'm following your pics, got them printed and enlarged in my reference folder. if you're interested in another Falcon, send me a private message and we'll get you fixed up. have a good one brother.

Hey there Friend, I've been away for awhile to visit family and basically put "everything" on the back burner. I thank you very much for you generous offer yet I've (beleave this or not) been able to salvage the HH miniature upgrade kit parts as well as the shapeway parts to fit the Revel Snaptite kit Max. I'll be uploading the progress pictures soon. The upgraded parts fit this so well it's a little bit mid-boggling. Just a little trimming here and there, nothing that the rotary-tool couldn't handle.
Again thanks for the offer though, its good to know fellow folks have your back!
Oh, thought I'd also mention that I bought a fine molds 1/72 scale kit the other day, Yikes! (probably not the right thread to mention that but oh, well)

Last edited:
Somewhere in storage I've got the mangled MPC Falcon, covered in glue and bits of sprue, that I tried to improve when I was a kid. Part of me thinks I should dig it out, spend a ton of money on 3D printed and resin parts, and make it the Falcon I always dreamed of. And then I think - man, why bother? :) I have the Bandai 144 and the De Ago... do I really need another?

Yes, you do need another...if it crossed you mind to do it more than once...then you need to

JMO

QUOTE=nkg;4264329]Somewhere in storage I've got the mangled MPC Falcon, covered in glue and bits of sprue, that I tried to improve when I was a kid. Part of me thinks I should dig it out, spend a ton of money on 3D printed and resin parts, and make it the Falcon I always dreamed of. And then I think - man, why bother? :) I have the Bandai 144 and the De Ago... do I really need another?[/QUOTE]

Hey, I replied in our emails, but I missed the part about the FM, I bought one on Ebay, the Revell boxed, about 6 months ago. It's in the closet with the rest of my hoard. I figure on saving it for last, by then I'll know everything I want to do with these. :thumbsup
Hey there Friend, I've been away for awhile to visit family and basically put "everything" on the back burner. I thank you very much for you generous offer yet I've (beleave this or not) been able to salvage the HH miniature upgrade kit parts as well as the shapeway parts to fit the Revel Snaptite kit Max. I'll be uploading the progress pictures soon. The upgraded parts fit this so well it's a little bit mid-boggling. Just a little trimming here and there, nothing that the rotary-tool couldn't handle.
Again thanks for the offer though, its good to know fellow folks have your back!
Oh, thought I'd also mention that I bought a fine molds 1/72 scale kit the other day, Yikes! (probably not the right thread to mention that but oh, well)

Hey Mark,

yes, all serious issues with this kit for sure...the hull curvature, definately. I've seen others do some major surgery on these to correct that. saw where one guy had don the cutting on the docking collar corridors and the cockpit corridor and then he made a styrene tube for the center that's 6.6cm to spread the center. I went partial, 5.7cm which won't require all the cutting, still the corridors will have a slight down angle, but not so much that it bothers me. I've got a closet full of these kits, 10 or 12 (snatched up all the decently priced ones on Ebay before the prices went stupid) so I've got plenty to experiment with. Always glad to hear, and appreciate the knowledge you're willing to share. It helps make my builds better, and everyone else that's reading the thread and learning :thumbsup

QUOTE=Darth Humorous;4264119]@ gt350pony66…not that it matters, but it was stupidly late so I failed to include the other kit issues of wrong hull curvature (too flat), sketchy top greeblies, too high sidewalls, and reeeeeally wrong sidewall greeblies. Of course you know all this since you are here basking in HH’s lovely sidewall efforts.

Mark[/QUOTE]

you know, I didn't recall earlier, but along the lines of George's axe. I read once where the sailing ship USS Constitution retains about 10% of it's original timber...so I guess it's still the USS Constitution, right? :lol but I certainly see your point :thumbsup

I'm sort of reminded of that old joke about George Washington's axe. It's had three new handles and two new heads, but it was once George Washington's axe!

At what point is it still an MPC Falcon once all the glaringly wrong stuff has been replaced? :)

OK, here is the "work in Progress" of the Revell Snaptite MAX (formally easy-kit) upgraded with modified HH Miniatures Millennium Spacecraft kit and Shapeway parts originally designed for the AMT/Ertl (MPC) kit. So, where do I start - the original sidewalls "height" of this kit are like less than .125 in. difference between the HH Min. kit. So, they fit beautifully - just had to trim about as much from the "length". The Shapeways parts (cockpit, radar dish, and guns) are just slightly over-scale that (in my opinion) made the model overall look more correct. Even though the HH Min. kit's sidewalls where designed for a model of larger scale, you'd really not even notice it here. Now this is totally just my opinion here but given all I've laid out about the slightly "off" scale dimensions, it gives the illusion of the front mandible end of the ship that its slightly shortened up a bit....but that could be just me. I've done some kit bashing here and there, but i'll let the pics speak for themselves. Keep in mind that I realize I need to do some odds and ends work here and there, It's not finished , I just have it on it's display base (which I build) for the sake of these pictures for this post.
1 (4).jpg1 (1).jpg1 (5).jpgkjljlk.jpgp[okop.jpgddhg.jpg1 (2).jpg

good save on the parts dude, looks good! What scale is that easy kit anyway?

OK, here is the "work in Progress" of the Revell Snaptite MAX (formally easy-kit) upgraded with modified HH Miniatures Millennium Spacecraft kit and Shapeway parts originally designed for the AMT/Ertl (MPC) kit. So, where do I start - the original sidewalls "height" of this kit are like less than .125 in. difference between the HH Min. kit. So, they fit beautifully - just had to trim about as much from the "length". The Shapeways parts (cockpit, radar dish, and guns) are just slightly over-scale that (in my opinion) made the model overall look more correct. Even though the HH Min. kit's sidewalls where designed for a model of larger scale, you'd really not even notice it here. Now this is totally just my opinion here but given all I've laid out about the slightly "off" scale dimensions, it gives the illusion of the front mandible end of the ship that its slightly shortened up a bit....but that could be just me. I've done some kit bashing here and there, but i'll let the pics speak for themselves. Keep in mind that I realize I need to do some odds and ends work here and there, It's not finished , I just have it on it's display base (which I build) for the sake of these pictures for this post.
View attachment 736508View attachment 736509View attachment 736510View attachment 736511View attachment 736512View attachment 736513View attachment 736514

Yes, I did use that technique on that particular model. About the scale...the box has no information. Sites online list it as 1/72 scale yet when comparing it to the top hull of the fine molds 1/72 scale, this model is considerably smaller.

Last edited:
I thought so, looks really good. that's another thing I'll need to practice. I picked up this pastel stuff from the hobby shop and was practicing on one of the other kit pieces. Rust and grime trails on the hull panels. it looks ok I guess but It could look better. I've been referencing pics of the studio models. at least the stuff comes off easy if you screw up, unlike the powdered chalk I used on previous builds. you mess up with that and it's a B to get off.
I thought that looked a bit smaller. I wonder why some kits are made in these "off standard" scales? weird
I read somewhere that someone said the MPC was actually a 1/58 scale, and the FM was the true 1/72. Not sure I buy that, they're not that different except for the mandibles. However, I've got a case full of 1/72 WWII war implements, some with figures...and they do appears to be smaller than the ones that come with the MPC Falcon. So, perhaps 1/58 is a true story.
was going to put up a pic of the pastel work but the PC isn't co-op. got to log off and log on again...I'm getting tired of this bs, lol

QUOTE=Buckey Goldstar;4265432]Yes, I did use that technique on that particular model. About the scale...the box has no information. Sites online list it as 1/72 scale yet when comparing it to the top hull of the fine molds 1/72 scale, this model is considerably smaller.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

falcon rust n grime.JPGhere we go...any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

falcon rust n grime.JPGhere we go...any suggestions?

I thought so, looks really good. that's another thing I'll need to practice. I picked up this pastel stuff from the hobby shop and was practicing on one of the other kit pieces. Rust and grime trails on the hull panels. it looks ok I guess but It could look better. I've been referencing pics of the studio models. at least the stuff comes off easy if you screw up, unlike the powdered chalk I used on previous builds. you mess up with that and it's a B to get off.
I thought that looked a bit smaller. I wonder why some kits are made in these "off standard" scales? weird
I read somewhere that someone said the MPC was actually a 1/58 scale, and the FM was the true 1/72. Not sure I buy that, they're not that different except for the mandibles. However, I've got a case full of 1/72 WWII war implements, some with figures...and they do appears to be smaller than the ones that come with the MPC Falcon. So, perhaps 1/58 is a true story.
was going to put up a pic of the pastel work but the PC isn't co-op. got to log off and log on again...I'm getting tired of this bs, lol

QUOTE=Buckey Goldstar;4265432]Yes, I did use that technique on that particular model. About the scale...the box has no information. Sites online list it as 1/72 scale yet when comparing it to the top hull of the fine molds 1/72 scale, this model is considerably smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 736754here we go...any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 736754here we go...any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

That looks Superb my friend! Makes me ready to get back at it. Go Man, Go!

Hey, thanks dude!, that means quite a bit coming from a fella with your talent with the paint and weathering. This IS just a test piece from one of the other dozen kits I have, wanna be sure I got it down before I do the build piece. offer stands if you want another MPC. Like I said, I'll never build them all. Have a great weekend, gonna be 110 here shortly, and climbing up to 120 they say. I'll be indoors for sure...jeez, what will I do? LOL
- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That looks Superb my friend! Makes me ready to get back at it. Go Man, Go![/QUOTE]

Well, it looks like this thread has been left for dead...again.
First time using acrylic wash on something, turned out nicer than the shaved black chalk that I used to use. I'm happy with the results but if anyone besides me, is still reading this thread...any suggestions?falcon wash 1.JPGfalcon wash 2.JPGfalcon wash3.JPG I previously posted panel grime and rust run trails on an upper hull test piece, this is the sidewalls of the actual build which will get the grime and rust spot treatment as soon as I find some suitable images to reference.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back