MPC Millennium Falcon Upgrade Kit Mk.II, HH

Yeah, You can definitely see that Tony has a passion for the MPC Falcon model as well as the Bird in general. I asked about a set of figures to make up the "crew" for his cockpit interior and he said he had no plans...I guess I can see why, they'd be tiny. I tried using a Han & Chewie micro-machine set and THEY WHERE TOO BIG! crazy right?

I could see about making the figures next?

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what I hate about this site? everytime I type out a long post it logs me off and it was all for nothing. did that last night on my Iphone.
Anyway, I bought that same set, still in the pkg in the closet. Once they got here (ebay) they looked to me they looked more the scale of a fine molds. I did however also find on ebay the MPC cantina set, those are the proper scale but they're all standing, but i was ok with that since I was thinking of docking bay 94. I've only built one of these "in flight" I like the landed version better, it shows off all the lighting...ramp down, gear wells, etc.
I just saw this post by Haystack, sounds like he may be working on a solution. Very cool. I don't know where we'd be without guys like Tony and Haystack doing the awesome stuff they do.

Yeah, You can definitely see that Tony has a passion for the MPC Falcon model as well as the Bird in general. I asked about a set of figures to make up the "crew" for his cockpit interior and he said he had no plans...I guess I can see why, they'd be tiny. I tried using a Han & Chewie micro-machine set and THEY WHERE TOO BIG! crazy right?

No Doubt, gt!
OK, so I've finished top and bottom hull prep - Had an engine intake ring mishap with the dremel. I was carefully tapping away and in my Zin-mode, then the dogs burst out with a fit of barking at someone walking down the street and, well I slipped. I had to do some major surgery with a spare piece of curved styrene and contour putty. I think things will look ok after some black primer and a base coat.
P.S. - What glue and primer does anyone recommend for the RESIN kit parts?

001.jpg

Last edited:
No Doubt, gt!
OK, so I've finished top and bottom hull prep - Had an engine intake ring mishap with the dremel. I was carefully tapping away and in my Zin-mode, then the dogs burst out with a fit of barking at someone walking down the street and, well I slipped. I had to do some major surgery with a spare piece of curved styrene and contour putty. I think things will look ok after some black primer and a base coat.

View attachment 726848

You should be fine, the photo-etch will hide it quite well. As for the resin primer, I use Hycote Primer for literally everything, it's cheap, cheerful and works every time.
Tamiya primer seems to have difficulty sometimes adhering evenly, but if you spray a mist coat on first and then prime fully, it works a charm.
I use polyurethane resin which is broadly more forgiving on paint adhesion than polyester

Thought I would get a head start on some of the simpler stuff in this build while waiting for the HH Min. kit to arrive (Shipped today, Yeah!). I have bought some Shapeways Parts as well and boy, am I glad I did. The difference is astounding. I have some side-byes to compare.
View attachment 726014View attachment 726015View attachment 726016View attachment 726017

I have a question, does the shapeways cockpit have the same dimensions as the factory cockpit?

Not quite, It is actually a little bit smaller - Yet it is correct in relation to the rest of the model. The stock fit part is out of perportion. If you use the stock pilot figures, it'll look pretty weird, because they look Huge in the cockpit...I guess the original engineers really wanted to focus on visibility of the figures over detail of the cockpit in general. I don't know how the "upgrade seats" fit with the original cockpit cone as I bought the upgrade cone - They however fit together "like a glove".

I've done 3 ships with the Shapeways cockpit and stock cone, and very pleased with the outcome. However, don't use the stock clear pieces, they're too hazy. kinda like looking through a window from the 19th century. Get one of those clear thick book report things from the school supply and cut your own and carefully place your glue spots and use clear scotch tape to assist if needed. you'll love the out come. I've decided to go with the Shapeways cockpit cone from now on since seeing Buckeye's.
I have a question, does the shapeways cockpit have the same dimensions as the factory cockpit?

looks like we're at roughly the same stage of our builds. I got the walls up and landing gear hsng 4 and 5 on. going to drill my engine fan holes today, this will be the first time on that procedure. I'vefalcon 5 build pic7.JPGfalcon 5 build pic6.JPGfalcon 5 build pic4.JPG got a nice hole drill set but the bit set screw walked so off to the hardware store. also will be drilling out the landing light holes in the lower hull and attaching the light cans. I chop up a bic click ink pen tube, work great. also pic is the nearly finished landing ramp hull couplers. I really like this modification.
No Doubt, gt!

View attachment 726848

Haystack, question...this will be my first time using anything photo etched, what is the proceedure for the finish? I'm sure they are not meant to be left the brass color? but if painted do they need roughing up to keep paint stuck. particularly the landing gear angled wraps? please, anyone chime in if you see this...

thanks

You should be fine, the photo-etch will hide it quite well. As for the resin primer, I use Hycote Primer for literally everything, it's cheap, cheerful and works every time.
Tamiya primer seems to have difficulty sometimes adhering evenly, but if you spray a mist coat on first and then prime fully, it works a charm.
I use polyurethane resin which is broadly more forgiving on paint adhesion than polyester

Man, That's lookin' Great! I think we are all finding that a Modded MPC Falcon is not for the faint of heart, yet very rewarding at the same time. I'm having fun and I'm sure you are as well.

I'm guessing that was for me...yeah, this is my 5th ship and I do something new everytime. you know, some guys who like the FM kit better poo-poo the MPC, but if you ask me, if you can take an MPC and make it look just as god or betterr than FM, that's much more gratifying than spending endless time with 900 parts. But the FM itself is a nice kit...I'm saving mine for when I'm retired. so it'll sit in the closet for a couple decades LOL

Man, That's lookin' Great! I think we are all finding that a Modded MPC Falcon is not for the faint of heart, yet very rewarding at the same time. I'm having fun and I'm sure you are as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing that was for me...yeah, this is my 5th ship and I do something new everytime. you know, some guys who like the FM kit better poo-poo the MPC, but if you ask me, if you can take an MPC and make it look just as god or betterr than FM, that's much more gratifying than spending endless time with 900 parts. But the FM itself is a nice kit...I'm saving mine for when I'm retired. so it'll sit in the closet for a couple decades LOL
oh, and thanks for the comp if it was meant for me. LOL

falcon fan holes 1.JPGthis what I used, progressively larger holes drilled from center that I located with a pair of digital calipers. then trim with xacto, then tiny semi round file, then sandpaper. I also did something else new on this one...filed out the tiny notches on the edge of the hull. looks good but my laptop lost the pic. ahh, found them. I've also taken to trimming down those rails on the top front of the hullfalcon fan holes 2.JPGfalcon top hull mod front.JPGfalcon hull edges.JPG

Haystack, question...this will be my first time using anything photo etched, what is the proceedure for the finish? I'm sure they are not meant to be left the brass color? but if painted do they need roughing up to keep paint stuck. particularly the landing gear angled wraps? please, anyone chime in if you see this...

thanks

Ordinary primer should do the trick! I wouldn't paint onto metal without a primer coat down first, and unless you really go at it with fingernails the paint will adhere just fine. Here's my Mk.I photo etch on a FM Falcon I did a couple of years ago:

20566859889_393a32e89c_c.jpg

And an abandoned MPC with the Mk.II (current) photo etch:

18652340784_26e70df5be_c.jpg

thanks, will do. saw Youtube vid where a guy ran over it with 600gr and then 1000 so the paint would adhere but processes vary. like I said I haven't done etch parts previously and I'm really getting into making everything a next level with this one. Turns out well, and I may keep it for myself.
Aprreciate all the cool stuff you're doing my friend.

Ordinary primer should do the trick! I wouldn't paint onto metal without a primer coat down first, and unless you really go at it with fingernails the paint will adhere just fine. Here's my Mk.I photo etch on a FM Falcon I did a couple of years ago:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/693/20566859889_393a32e89c_c.jpg

And an abandoned MPC with the Mk.II (current) photo etch:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3865/18652340784_26e70df5be_c.jpg

Good day Mr. Haystack...got another question...

the only ANH version I've built is the first one, I'm hung up on the ESB version now, got a thing for those extra landing gear. Your PE sheet only has enough for 6 legs and the way you've designed yours is much better IMO, that the Paragraphix. I suppose in the future I could just get an extra set and have enough to do 6 birds with all the legs. Do most builders only do ANH versions?

thanks

Good day Mr. Haystack...got another question...

the only ANH version I've built is the first one, I'm hung up on the ESB version now, got a thing for those extra landing gear. Your PE sheet only has enough for 6 legs and the way you've designed yours is much better IMO, that the Paragraphix. I suppose in the future I could just get an extra set and have enough to do 6 birds with all the legs. Do most builders only do ANH versions?

thanks

Most builders seem to go the ANH 'original' route, as it's cheaper and easier than fitting front gear housings I guess; hence the 5 +1 spare....designing and producing new etch is currently off the table as it's expensive with not a great difference over the Mk.II....It's not impossible, just unlikely within the foreseeable future.
I have loads of the Mk.II sheets in stock though if you're dead set on doing a landed ESB model

I'm sorry I'm not able to help you further than that !!

Package arrived today. I won't be doing a full "piece by piece" review, but let me just give one of many, many examples of how astonishing and intricate this kit is engineered.
First I'd like to say that it is totally mind-boggling at the level of detail that the original "ILM" team built into the original 5 FT. Falcon model (which most you never see on film).
Secondly, I'd like to congratulate HH Miniatures for faithfully replicating the designs of "ILM". Just have a Look -
(I also have a side-by-side comparison of stock kit parts)

001.jpg002.jpg004.jpgi-hCDW25b-XL.jpg

not a problem, I'll just order an extra next time and then I'll have a whole other sheet to work with and then spare fan screens...just in case LOL
thanks again my good man!
Most builders seem to go the ANH 'original' route, as it's cheaper and easier than fitting front gear housings I guess; hence the 5 +1 spare....designing and producing new etch is currently off the table as it's expensive with not a great difference over the Mk.II....It's not impossible, just unlikely within the foreseeable future.
I have loads of the Mk.II sheets in stock though if you're dead set on doing a landed ESB model

I'm sorry I'm not able to help you further than that !!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back