im assuming trimming the same as the lower, particularly the mandible locators
right?
thanks

Haystack
question...the instructions don't indicate what to do with the upper hull
im assuming trimming the same as the lower, particularly the mandible locators
right?
thanks

Ah! True, the mandibles do need be trimmed but as far as I can remember from the box art build it doesn't actually matter too much, the only place on the upper hull that the locator pins really do need to be removed is in the engine area

Assuming that the Aft/Back engine deck area will be lowered as well, will the hollow connection pin on the bottom hull need to be trimmed and sanded? The digital instructions (as well as jpeg) only hint at trimming the ones closest to the front mandible area. Hey, really looking forward to this build! Thanks HH miniatures!

Assuming that the Aft/Back engine deck area will be lowered as well, will the hollow connection pin on the bottom hull need to be trimmed and sanded? The digital instructions (as well as jpeg) only hint at trimming the ones closest to the front mandible area. Hey, really looking forward to this build! Thanks HH miniatures!

Must've been an oversight on my part.....all the pegs need removing and cleaning up. I'll update the instruction files ASAP!

I see, no problem. Got her figured out, thanks. I've had to make several modifications but this being my 5th MPC Falcon I've run into just about everything I think. had to trench out your mandibles for LED's in the front, dremel tool. done. Your parts don't lend themselves to lighting but it's nothing that can't be overcome. I'm a lighting freak, engine glow, flashing fiber optics, landing gear wells, tons of lighting. the last one I built was a cut away, short walls, which meant shortening everything inside with little to no indications of what was needed. Besides the fixed LED's I think I installed at least 200 fiber optics. 10 weeks that one took. I'll be using you parts for all my future builds. The detail is incredible.
the 5th bird is also getting the center separation tube in the center, another challenge but I've got that whipped. another builder says 6.6 cm, but that req a lot of cutting and repositioning of upper hull pieces. so I went 5.7cm, after all walls secured in place, taped the upper hull down and hit the whole thing with the wife's hair dryer. top and bottom, that allowed the upper and lower hulls to form down to where they need to be. This one is NOT a cut away, but it looks like its going to be the best so far.

Thanks

oops, that reply was meant for Haystack's post...but I'm sure y'all will figure that. I also appreciate Buckeye's input. anything and everything is useful.

btw everyone...I went on a binge buying these things on ebay. got more than I'm going to build before I get weary of it. The cut away I did is going to be the ONLY one. way too much work. So, if anyone is interested, I'm going to be parting with a few. Ebay costs a lot to sell on and now the prices are ridiculous. I got most of these VERY reasonably
I've got maybe 5 or 6 cut aways and just as many regulars. some still in sealed boxes.

just as a note of interest...if you ever run across a kit that the hull pieces are warped, it usually from years of storage with the box on end instead of flat. take a 25ft Stanley tape measure and set in the rear and a 12 to 16 ft in the center front. place some flat items under the mandibles and the sides so they will be the correct height so you know when to stop, and hit it with a hair dryer on high heat in a circular motion a few inches from the plastic. when the hull piece gets to the point where it looks right, stop and put a few weights of whatever to keep it in position. let stand for a half hour or so and your hull pieces are again like they should be. that setting them in the Sun doesn't work too well and takes too long.

That's some good info, Mine was a sealed "Return of the Jedi" edition and kinda had this problem. As far as availability goes, I picked mine up on eBay for $40.00. Not bad Considering that a lot of folks are trying to sell these for $400.00 and higher! Ridiculous! I told myself that I would only do an MPC upgrade project if I could get the base model for a decent price. If not, it just border-lines on insanity....my wife thinks it does regardless.

Hey! No,not bad at at all.40 is good, I averaged it out and all mine came to about that. Now though, it's getting a bit crazy with the prices. I may build a few more, try to sell a few built but I doubt I'd build all of them. I've also been using some shapways pieces for the cockpit, additional landing gear and the really nice boarding ramp but I only bought one original set of stuff and made molds to duplicate more. Like to see what you do with yours, post pics if you can, you may know something I don't, and visa versa
have a good one

Thought I would get a head start on some of the simpler stuff in this build while waiting for the HH Min. kit to arrive (Shipped today, Yeah!). I have bought some Shapeways Parts as well and boy, am I glad I did. The difference is astounding. I have some side-byes to compare.
041.jpg043.jpg044.jpg045.jpg

for sure, great looking cockpit! I think the cockpit cone is the only thing I haven't used but I've used the cockpit interior on 3 builds. Tough fit when you light the ceiling piece, have to drop it slightly which screws up the wall lighting alignment. Say, if you're doing a landed ramp down, I highly recommend the Shapways landing ramp, it's far and away better than the stock MPC parts. I think Tony is also working up a ceiling for the landing ramp corridor. Other Shapways pieces for "landed" ships I really like is the ESB additional front landing gear and housings. Some of that stuff can be a bit spendy, but it sure makes a huge difference.

if you google Shapeways it pops right up. The designer, Tony, I'm pretty sure he's in the UK as well. It's a network of designers all over. When I order stuff, the designs belongs to Tony, so he gets his cut of the sale, but it's farmed out to a Shapeways associate in New York and ships from there. never takes very long, they're quick. And the customer service is amazing. The first landing ramp set I ordered came with 2 left sides of the longest hydraulic ram. sent them a pic of the error...the sent a whole new set, on the quick, no charge. awesome folks to deal with. and if you have questions and you've subscribed to the site, you can email the designers and ask questions. Tony has done the most if not all of the MPC Falcon parts and he's a super friendly and helpful dude.
hope that helps, and again...I love your sidewall set and will be using them for all future builds...but don't tell Tony if you talk to him, LOL

Hi Haystack, Here you go - https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y...pc-combo-cabin-cone-cockpit?optionId=56434201
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E...-radar-5-footer-44-mm-w-mount?optionId=621703

Also, I'm gonna attempt to use this for the Aft/Back engine exhaust grill, it's the reduced height egg crate kit from Star ship modeler. Can't remember the exact dimensions. Do you happen to know anything about their parts in relation to the HH miniature parts?

040.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops sorry,I was typing this when I realized gt350pony66 basically answered Haystack's question. My Bad......So, Howz it goin'

Hi Haystack, Here you go - https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y...pc-combo-cabin-cone-cockpit?optionId=56434201
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E...-radar-5-footer-44-mm-w-mount?optionId=621703

Also, I'm gonna attempt to use this for the Aft/Back engine exhaust grill, it's the reduced height egg crate kit from Star ship modeler. Can't remember the exact dimensions. Do you happen to know anything about their parts in relation to the HH miniature parts?

View attachment 726177

- - - Updated - - -

Oops sorry,I was typing this when I realized gt350pony66 basically answered Haystack's question. My Bad......So, Howz it goin'

As far as I know the SSM 'egg-crate' engine pieces should fit perfectly !

falcon ramp upgrade 1.JPGfalcon ramp upgrade 2.JPGfalcon 1-19-17 3.JPGthought I would share what I've been doing with the boarding ramps on my falcons. the ramp and hydraulic cyl are the Shapeways that Tony designed, and the hull couplers are his also, but for the Fine Molds. the scale is different, yes...but if you're doing a "ramp down" it won't matter. however it does enhance the hull appearance so it looks pretty close to correct. the ramp is awesome, but if you don't do something with the hull as well, it's like..."how does it mesh together if it was closed?" much more attractive than the stock ramp, yes?

Yeah, You can definitely see that Tony has a passion for the MPC Falcon model as well as the Bird in general. I asked about a set of figures to make up the "crew" for his cockpit interior and he said he had no plans...I guess I can see why, they'd be tiny. I tried using a Han & Chewie micro-machine set and THEY WHERE TOO BIG! crazy right?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back