PropShop announces TFA Props!

I think way too much has been made about the statements causing people to say Anovos is crowd sourced or it is a ponzi scheme. All they said was money from one product goes towards developing new products. That is pretty standard business.

The issue I had with the early Anovos model was the extremely long pre-order periods before any production started on the product. This causes the early purchasers to have excessively long waits. Unfortunately for some of the products like the OT Stormtrooper helmet kit, Shadowtrooper helmet kit, Vader wingman, etc the wait has been excessively long for most purchasers. I have no idea why those have taken so long other than giving other products like the OT Stormtrooper full kits and completed helmets priority.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's been 2 years, 6 months since I paid for the snowtrooper helmet. It's been pushed back and I still don't have it. So they've got more stuff held back while they push new armor, helmets, and now blaster kits.

How efx still has the SW license is beyond me. They've done nothing for what? 3 years? No one has any confidence in them at this point and they are awarded MORE by LFL? Something ain't right there.

Can only get one company the license for props or costumes?What is if a new company comes and wants to produce also props like EFX?

It's been 2 years, 6 months since I paid for the snowtrooper helmet. It's been pushed back and I still don't have it. So they've got more stuff held back while they push new armor, helmets, and now blaster kits.
I agree some of the OT products have taken way too long. However, I don't think the more recent products are having those issues. Full costumes may take longer than helmets because of multiple suppliers being involved.

Generally the recent helmets get delivered in less than 6 months. I know that is frustrating for those that have older orders. I have some outstanding orders that are several years old too. At least they have shown signs of improving delivery times of the newer products.

Can only get one company the license for props or costumes?What is if a new company comes and wants to produce also props like EFX?
There hasn't been much overlap of licenses in the same price range and license category at the higher end. Maybe part of the agreement is to be the only high end costume or replica prop company for a film.

Although the split between costumes and replica seems pretty silly for helmets. A helmet is a helmet regardless of which category it is in.

Pretty sure it's just 1 company. I mean, you'd pay for a license to be the only one to make a product. And, you'd likely pay a lot for it. Now, how much would you pay to just be one of many who's allowed to make it? You wouldn't. It'd make it to hard to get your money back.

Pretty sure it's just 1 company. I mean, you'd pay for a license to be the only one to make a product. And, you'd likely pay a lot for it. Now, how much would you pay to just be one of many who's allowed to make it? You wouldn't. It'd make it to hard to get your money back.
I think it depends how you look at it. Anovos and PropShop had several similar products. Maybe this was allowed because of the significantly different price or the costume vs replica distinction. I question if Lucasfilm would allow Anovos and efx to make the same helmet with similar prices. That is what concerns me about efx getting the sequel license. I hope they don't block Anovos from making certain helmets or costumes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Well, they have to actually make and deliver something before they have room to say jack...

Anovos themselves said the reason they couldn't have stands come with the helmets is that it moved it into the display piece (prop) category.

Frankly, a helmet falls under costume if you wanna argue it. It's only a prop if you have someone like Luke come in to completed battle scene, pick up a discarded helmet and do a Yorrick monologue. Guns, sabers - those would be props.

That is so stupid.Disney could make so much more money if they would give the license to more factorys.competition is good for business.And at the end the company with the best props and support will survive.

That´s not stupid, that´s the reason to pay for a license. In fact you pay for the right to have no competitors.

But - it depends how the license is set up. It can be a regional license, that means it only works for a single country or a continent but not elsewhere. Or for a certain level of accurary.
For Example let´s talk about model kits, At the same time Finemolds and Revell had a license, but different ones. Revell kits had to be much simpler and could be distributed at much more countries than Finemolds. But Finemolds had a license for much higher accuracy, just only for Japan. I know from first hand that they had to simplify the details to have them look more toylike until LFL gave their OK, even the prepainting of the kitparts has to be corrected several times from good to more toylike before it was LFL-approved.

So, same product for different regions and/or different levels can be made. Just different licenses.

Well, they have to actually make and deliver something before they have room to say jack...

Anovos themselves said the reason they couldn't have stands come with the helmets is that it moved it into the display piece (prop) category.

Frankly, a helmet falls under costume if you wanna argue it. It's only a prop if you have someone like Luke come in to completed battle scene, pick up a discarded helmet and do a Yorrick monologue. Guns, sabers - those would be props.
Both efx and PropShop made helmets as well as weapons. I doubt either of them had a license for replicas and another license for costumes.

With all of the licensor approvals, I don't know if Lucasfilm controls which products each company starts working on or not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 5 helmets being authorized from Ep VIII that they are split between Anovos and efx. I hope that isn't the case.

Last edited:
Both efx and PropShop made helmets as well as weapons. I doubt either of them had a license for replicas and another license for costumes.

With all of the licensor approvals, I don't know if Lucasfilm controls which products each company starts working on or not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 5 helmets being authorized from Ep VIII that they are split between Anovos and efx. I hope that isn't the case.

And both EFX and Propshop retained the "prop replica" license. Anovos has a strict "costuming" license.

I don't think there will be issues between splitting items between EFX and Anovos because they're under different licenses. In fact, they've already have- EFX and Anovos both have TK and Vader helmets- Both are radically different, but you can argue it's "the same." The only ironic thing to all this is that despite EFX having the "prop replica" license, some of Anovos's items are derived from more original sources, whether you agree with how they did in the first place.

"But muh EFX legendary and muh scout trooper"

Which one was paid for in 2012 that you still don't have?

I´ve heared they don´t pay only for the license...they must pay fees to disney for every sold piece.Is that correct?

It's usually how it works. Pay for the right to make it, then you have to pay a royalty on each item sold.

I know Prop Shop and Efx have made helmets. I was just saying that if you wanted to go uber technical, helmets aren't props, they're costumes. Efx and MR both did helmets before Anovos existed.

Propshop seemed to be a whole other category. Seemed as if that was the upper echelon made by a real (theoretically) prop house being as close as you can possibly get to the on screen item. There's no way the prop business was going to survive a $1500 lightsaber entry point. Frankly, i find it hard to believe they'd manage enough sales for it to be successful enough to continue. I'm not going to fund a branch of my company and devote a number of people to it to make a small amount of money.

So i magine there's now the costume license (with no restrictions on accuracy, yeah!), the main prop license, and the way over top, upper echelon prop license.

My guess is they'll let Efx make helmets, etc, if it comes down to it. It's not really a threat to anyone because you have to actually ship something to be a threat...I won't buy anything more from them unless they have it in hand and ready to ship upon order placement. And even then i'm not entirely sure i'd pull the trigger.

There comes a point where you dig a deep enough hole that you can't climb out again.

From what I understand, Anovos has the sole license for WEARABLE stuff. Propshop weren't allowed to market any of the helmets as wearable; obviously they made them wearable but what you're buying as far as advertising and licensing is concerned is strictly a display piece. I'd imagine eFX is a similar deal.

Has anyone actually parted with any of their Propshop items yet? I've kicked around the idea of listing my Kylo Saber, but have been reluctant to pull the trigger. Just curious if anyone has moved any pieces in the market at all.

From what I understand, Anovos has the sole license for WEARABLE stuff. Propshop weren't allowed to market any of the helmets as wearable; obviously they made them wearable but what you're buying as far as advertising and licensing is concerned is strictly a display piece. I'd imagine eFX is a similar deal.
Anovos has a costume license. efx has a high end replica license. Certain things like helmets overlap. The only difference as far as helmets is efx can include a stand and Anovos can't. When efx doesn't include a stand, there isn't any difference that I can tell. For example the PCR helmets. Those seem more like costume pieces to me than high end replicas.

I assume Propshop also had a replica license since they made sabers, blasters, etc.

Has anyone actually parted with any of their Propshop items yet? I've kicked around the idea of listing my Kylo Saber, but have been reluctant to pull the trigger. Just curious if anyone has moved any pieces in the market at all.

Now that prop replicators have their hands on them, I doubt it'll be worth more than what you gave for it but you might make some coin if you find a mindless fanatic on eBay and point out the fact that it isn't being made anymore.

Is anyone that owns one of the Kylo sabers willing to send me a few measurement and photos? I'm hoping to scratch build one but want to make sure I get the size and details right. Beautiful piece and I wish I could afford one!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back