PropShop announces TFA Props!

Where are these even being made? Is this the price we're paying in order to have replicas that aren't made in China?

It seems the main selling point is that these are hand-made by PropShop, exactly as the items were made before being given to Lucasfilm (much like Rubbertoe makes additional copies of their Doctor Who props for sale as replicas, using original tooling/masters/molds etc). So the helmets would all be finished 3d prints out of the PropShop printers as with the originals.

If that's not the case, the prices are even harder to swallow (as previously noted, it is unlikely that the Rey lightsabers will be made from original flash handles, so that's already one that cannot be identical to what was provided to Lucasfilm).

Hell, Anovos Kylo Ren fiberglass glass helmet was only $699! Now if Anovos/Star Wars is telling the truth they're 3D scanned off the same prop! So Anovos doesn't give you a stand or a wooden crate but is that justifying the extra $1,300? Even if it's not made in China?

Hell, Anovos Kylo Ren fiberglass glass helmet was only $699! Now if Anovos/Star Wars is telling the truth they're 3D scanned off the same prop! So Anovos doesn't give you a stand or a wooden crate but is that justifying the extra $1,300? Even if it's not made in China?

Are these not being printed from the original source models? Are they instead prints from scans of screen-used items? I wasn't sure if the melted Vader began as a digital or physical sculpt, so I couldn't tell based on that one, but in their video they show the Rey staff being scanned, which I thought was originally a digital sculpt.

Yeah, those prices are crazy stupid. The Graflex saber isn't even accurate. The glass eye isn't "shaved" and the clamp looks to be a single piece, not the clamp plus a cover. I think I'll stick with my modded basic Kylo Ren too. It may not be anywhere near accurate, but I'm much happier with that. How much happier? About $1148 worth (I found it for a whopping $2 at a thrift shop).

Yeah, those prices are crazy stupid. The Graflex saber isn't even accurate. The glass eye isn't "shaved" and the clamp looks to be a single piece, not the clamp plus a cover. I think I'll stick with my modded basic Kylo Ren too. It may not be anywhere near accurate, but I'm much happier with that. How much happier? About $1148 worth (I found it for a whopping $2 at a thrift shop).

The clamp definitely has a cover/wrap. Interesting to see they engraved holes and lines into it instead of just punching them out or debossing them. Also, instead of rivets on the grips it has hex screws with text on them.

Yeah, those prices are crazy stupid. The Graflex saber isn't even accurate. The glass eye isn't "shaved" and the clamp looks to be a single piece, not the clamp plus a cover. I think I'll stick with my modded basic Kylo Ren too. It may not be anywhere near accurate, but I'm much happier with that. How much happier? About $1148 worth (I found it for a whopping $2 at a thrift shop).[/QUOmTE]

There are two main "hero" saber versions seen in the film, the Maz chest/"Indoor" Hero, and the "Outdoor" hero. The one they've replicated appears to be the Maz/Indoor hero, with grips that do not extend to the saber bottom and the glass eye knurling intact. Only the "Outdoor" hero had grips-to-the-bottom and a glass eye with the knurling removed.

The clamp does have a cover, as is evidenced by the different (warmer) color. It's even mentioned in the video that the clamp has a different color to the saber body, though the reason given (because the overall saber is supposed to look older) doesn't really make sense.

Are these not being printed from the original source models? Are they instead prints from scans of screen-used items? I wasn't sure if the melted Vader began as a digital or physical sculpt, so I couldn't tell based on that one, but in their video they show the Rey staff being scanned, which I thought was originally a digital sculpt.

The Rey staff began as a an assembly of real world parts that was then digitally scanned and 3D-printed at a reduced size at JJ's request. They are presumably using the same 3D file to print more for this offering.

The burned Vader helmet began as a hand-sculpted item that was then digitally scanned and 3D printed, presumably so that multiple copies could be made and plastic is more easily-painted than clay. It's explicitly stated in the helmet video that the same 3D file used to print the film prop was used to print these, which is why I think the same thing is happening with Rey's staff.

And now the story has hit the major news networks: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/reys-staff-star-wars-force-awakens-unboxed/story?id=39531676

Last edited:
The Rey saber began as a an assembly of real world parts that was then digitally scanned and 3D-printed at a reduced size at JJ's request.

The burned Vader helmet began as a hand-sculpted item that was then digitally scanned and 3D printed, presumably so that multiple copies could be made and plastic is more easily-painted than clay. It's stated in the helmet video that the same 3D file used to print the film prop was used to print these.

Thanks, I missed that in the video. So the shots of the original props being scanned in the video were just marketing fluff, then. Have to say this presentation doesn't help with clarity - consumers at this level would certainly be concerned with whether they're getting a standard replica (scan or mold from existing prop to generate a new version as other companies do) or one created exactly as the originals were (as the marketing is selling it).

All this talk of accuracy and they didn't even position the D-ring assembly correctly on the Graflex. It's on backwards.

Good eye!

Ep 7 Dis Replica Graf Labeled.jpg

The helmet pictured looks to me like a digital rendering, not an actual helmet. The shop seems to intend to print and finish them in the same way as they were done for the movie.

Edit: Rewatching the videos it does appear they've made some of them. It's really strange to promote these items with such oddly staged photos.

They look like good studio photography taken by a good photographer using good photography gear. :D

The other images I've seen from other licensed companies look like point and shoot shots taken by my aunt Betty. :lol

OH! I can tell you right now. I can hear the scrutiny over the Prop Shop Kylo Ren helmet and the Anovos Premier helmet with certain details missing. ...It's Darth Vader Helmets all over again. :)

Please NO!!! Then you must pay 10000$ for a ESB Vaderhelmet in the future!:lol

Me thinks they'll offer an exact replica of the Rogue One Vader, and that'll tip in at a cool $5,000.

I'll be pretty happy with my two Vader lids when they're finished - and they don't come anywhere near that price (combined). ;)

That licensing fee musta cost them massive amounts of cash to come up with these prices..... Icons was was what? 299? MR 349, Efx 369 - 1250 is no where near the next logical spot.

I think they wanna do only lots of money in a very short time.;)

But not with me...if this will be a success,all SW-Replicas in the future will cost that amount of money.

But when they fail with this insolence,Disney knows that the EFX and Anovos prices are the better way for the future.:lol

Me thinks they'll offer an exact replica of the Rogue One Vader, and that'll tip in at a cool $5,000.

I'll be pretty happy with my two Vader lids when they're finished - and they don't come anywhere near that price (combined). ;)

You can have a direct copy from Brian Muir for 900 british pounds.That shows how stupid this prices from propshop are!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back