DeAgo Falcon tools/tips recommendations

Thanks for all the tips and advice, Trimotor! Is there a particular advantage to buying a tank versus a constant pressure compressor? Seems like a tank would be a bit more of an investment, especially if you have to buy traps & filters for it (and I'm sure there must be some extra maintenance involved regarding dispelling the air in the tank if you don't mean to use it for a while).

Hey Mudron,

You're welcome. It can be a confusing part of the hobby to get started in!

In my opinion there is no advantage in a tank setup over a high quality constant pressure compressor for use when painting and weathering scale models. They also work well for airbrush work in baking, helmet painting etc. If I remember correctly the constant run time maximum on my Iwata Smart Jet Pro is around 60 min. Cheaper quality compressors should give you between 30 and 20 mins constant use.

Although I don't have one, I imagine that a tank would be hugely useful when painting a car, or using air driven power tools. The difference between the two is the volume of air used and possibly the maximum pressure. I wouldn't worry about air left in the tank, there is air left in a reservoir in my Smart jet pro that I release by pressing down on the airbrush trigger after I finish my clean up at the end of my painting session. The only difference with a large tank is that it would take much longer! All that said, the tank is a great shout if you are going to use it for those high volume applications that I mentioned earlier.

Just make sure you can set it anywhere between 10 and 35PSI and you will be able to achieve any effect with any paint type for modelling.

Hey Mudron,

You're welcome. It can be a confusing part of the hobby to get started in!

Oh yeah, I'm kicking myself a bit now for letting my model-making skills lapse from when I was a kid and waiting 20 years to dive back into it, and into the DEEP end of the pool with airbrushing, lighting, etc, no less (though learning about all this stuff will be half the fun, as long as I don't accidentally blow up my house or set my DeAgo Falcon on fire or something in the process!)

Yeah, I'll be buying an airbrush just for this model (for starters), and even then, it'll "just" be for all the weathering and fine detailing (I've already got a bunch of cans of Tamiya spray paint for the body's base coat), so I'm not too worried about coverage or PSI right now.

Yes, that's the one. They have recently updated the design slightly with a few minor changes, such as where the air line connects, to make the compressor more ergonomic.

Thanks for the confirmation!

And speaking of hardware, is there a Dremel tool anyone can recommend for modeling? I'd assume that something like the cordless Multipro should be an obvious choice if only for its mobility and the fact that it comes with some many bits out of the box, but I dunno about how it compares in power or modeling-specific attachment flexibility to other tools.

Hey all -

So, I'm about to finally start working on my DeAgo Falcon! I'm about the pull the trigger on an Iwata Eclipse airbrush and the Iwata Studio Pro compressor (as recommended by Trimotor above), but I had a few more quick questions:

- Should I worry about priming the Falcon before applying the Tamiya Insignia White as the base coat for most of the ship? And how much should I consider decanting that Tamiya Insignia White so I can apply it via airbrush, rather than just using it straight from the can?

- What sandpaper should I consider getting for this project? As a novice, I'm not sure if there's a specific variety of sandpapers that I should be looking at that might be specific to ABS plastic.

- What weathering/detailing paints and weathering pastels should I consider? I bought a bunch of primary Tamiya colors (both opaque and clear) and some Tamiya smoke, and I see that Amazon offers a pack of 6 different Tamiya weathering pastels which I'll probably grab.

- Lastly, is anyone aware of extra lighting kits for the DeAgo Falcon aside from the underbelly lighting kit from mybuildsandmods? Specifically, I'd like to light the console of the Falcon and try my hand at lighting the main hold, but I know next to nothing about lighting/electronics.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back