Scratch Built Hensoldt Scope

JohnG

Hi all,

As predicted, I'm moving on from my first scratch built DL-44. It's still very popular with the kids. I'm making an airsoft ESB version with some cheap electronics out of a $1 blaster to try my hand at making something that lights up and makes noise. Next on the to-do list is a Denix based ANH DL-44 with real electronics. This will be a long, drawn out process

I'm a big fan of scratch building it myself. I can't figure out the pieces for a good metal scratch built flash hider, so will likely go with a Todd's or DEC creation. I do plan to scratch build the scope and scope mount.

That brings me to this post. I've started the scratch build of a Hensoldt scope. The parts are pretty generic: Copper pipe, PVC coupling, PVC pipe, funnel, sink aerator, some scrap.

Any similar builds out there?

The pipe is 7/8 and the Coupling is 1.5 inches. I have leftover 1/2 PVC from my earlier effort that will go inside the copper pipe. That will work to join the funnel to the pipe.

Here are the raw materials, though the funnel has already been cut.

Any thoughts and input is welcome.

Thanks.

Pipe 1.JPGPipe 2.JPGAerator.JPGCoupling.JPGFunnel.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool! I'm working on scratching one of these myself, but using the bell from a real scope. I like your solution to the windage knob, is that a sink fitting of some kind? That's the only part I have yet to sort out.

Very cool! I'm working on scratching one of these myself, but using the bell from a real scope. I like your solution to the windage knob, is that a sink fitting of some kind? That's the only part I have yet to sort out.

Exactly,

Specifically, it's this model
http://www.amazon.com/LASCO-09-1641...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

but there are obviously a lot of choices. I briefly tried to find a brass colored one, but didn't. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the link! I've been looking into knurled thumb screws or nuts, which may fit the bill if I can find one the right size.

Are you going to stick with the bottle cap for the windage knob base? The contour looks like it matches the faucet adapter nicely, it could be a nice piece to build up a little bit, or even leave as is.

Are you going to stick with the bottle cap for the windage knob base? The contour looks like it matches the faucet adapter nicely, it could be a nice piece to build up a little bit, or even leave as is.

No! I'm planning on making the base of the windage knob from some aluminum bar and the curved part from scrap from the copper tube. I'm not sure exactly wha to do about the aerator. It needs a top.

No! I'm planning on making the base of the windage knob from some aluminum bar and the curved part from scrap from the copper tube. I'm not sure exactly wha to do about the aerator. It needs a top.

Have you thought of filling with J-B Weld SteelStik and grinding that down? I don't know how hard that stuff is to finish. Or if you just plan to paint, bondo.... Maybe cut out a top from aluminum foil tape...

I think an M12 washer will fit the top well. I'm testing ways to knurl that as a top. I may get another one of this aerator and grind it way down to serve as the top, and yes, fill the hole with some filler compound.

If it helps at all, I did a bunch of digging for my scope, 7/8" knurled knobs or nuts are hard to find! But I did discover that pen turning mandrels typically use a diamond knurled brass nut that's about the right size. This one measures almost exactly 7/8 according to the (excellent) support on their site: http://www.exoticblanks.com/Brass-Knurled-Nut.html. I actually picked a few locally that are bit smaller and has a small bevel on top and bottom, perhaps not quite as accurate, but I didn't have to spend a bunch of extra money on shipping and such. I may have an extra depending on some experiments I'm going to try cutting a notch to represent the top windage part.

Yeah, too bad it's a $10 minimum order and shipping in the US is around $8. I do like the look of that one more (maybe?) than the one I got. Anyone want to go in on a batch? I could pick up 8 and they'd be like $2.75 dropped in an envelope and mailed in the US.

Thats looking good. This is my next build after im done my bowcaster. Allthough I really like Hans E S B blaster.

I did a little work on my knurled knob. I cut the knurled part from the threaded part. I made a stem with a bolt, washer and nut; clamped the stem to the table and hack sawed away.

Photo Jun 07, 10 07 17 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 07, 10 02 17 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 07, 10 03 28 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 07, 10 18 37 PM.jpg

I've ordered a second to join to this one to make the knob. if the top can spin, I'll be stoked.

- - Updated - - -

Also found this at home depot. It has different knurling, but my adapter screwed into it perfectly and would have been great if the knurling had been the same. may work for someone else.

Photo Jun 07, 11 12 30 AM.jpg

Looks brilliant! You did that with a hack saw? Nice straight cut! I wonder if you filed down the knurling a bit might it look a bit more like the circular knurl on the real deal?

The nut I have on hand is 3/4", a bit small for my taste. According to the vendor the one I posted before is .856", pretty close to 7/8" which I believe is accurate. Still thinking about picking on up.

Looks brilliant! You did that with a hack saw? Nice straight cut! I wonder if you filed down the knurling a bit might it look a bit more like the circular knurl on the real deal?

Another benefit to trying this would be revealing the brass under the plating. Even if the knurling didn't appear particularly round, a flatter profile with visible brass could turn out really nice once finished and weathered.

This is looking great John!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back