My Kylo Ren BS helmet mod

Kilano

Hi folks !

First of all, i want to thanks @Jamestan for is thread on this forum. I started my mod on my BS helmet following is advice.

I want to share my work too because i love looking at other people work on the BS helmet so feel free to comment my work too.

I will update this message directly for update.

This is the first stage of my welding and sanding. I'm struggling a little with the button part right now but overall you can see the welding and the orbital sanding doing a great job. I also cut the side part where the fourth line jaw part was to replace it with a custom one (still in progress). The first thing i notice is the color difference between the two part after the sanding.

IMG_0833.JPGIMG_0834.JPGIMG_0835.JPGIMG_0836.JPG

The tool i use to weld and sand
tool_4.jpgtool_3.jpg

Here my first layer of painting. As you can see, the paint on the button doesn't react the same. I hope next layer of paint will get ride of that. I have use firebrick dust for texture.

helm_2.jpghelm_1.jpgbrick.jpg

After that, i have begin to mod the chrome part with a dremel and a nice fabric i found. I also cutted the eye part. You see it's loot like a ninja turtle headband.

tool_1.jpgface_1.jpgface_2.jpgface_3.jpg

Last update (Disney mod) finished on 11 september 2016 !!

Here some photo of the process.

First part was to cut and weld in place the jaw part
IMG_1124.jpg

After i have sand and do some test fitting the jaw part and the chrome part
IMG_1125.jpg

The next part was to heat the chrome part (This is a stressful moment we you do it !!!)
IMG_1129.jpgIMG_1131.jpg

The hardest part was to fit this two piece on the chrome part and the bottom. I finally decided to weld in place and use milliput to put part together. Here some pic before and after milliput
IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1145.jpg

The next part was to sand properly with 80 and 320 grind. Picture before and during the painting
IMG_1149.jpg

Here the final result, maybe i'll take better picture later with better light
IMG_1183.jpg

I hope you enjoy !

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Today i decided to re-sand the helmet for a third time because i wasn't happy about the texture.

The new texture is sooo better !

repaint_4.jpgrepaint_1.jpgrepaint_2.jpgrepaint_3.jpg

This is my two attempts on the visor mesh. The first was so amazing but i can't barely see through it so i have replace it with another fabric.

window_mesh_1.jpgwindow_mesh_3.jpg

Next step will be the weathering. I need the wait a little because the paint need to heal first.

Last edited:
So, the V1 of the helmet is finally completed. I'm really proud of the result for now. The next step will be the front facing but i'm not sur how and when a i will do it. So for now, this is the final result.

final_4.jpgfinal_1.jpgfinal_2.jpgfinal_3.jpg

Hey just curious how you welded the pieces together did you use extra plastic to fill in the weld . The Helmet is looking pretty awesome

regards FETT 1

Sweet mod! Thanks for the shout out. No weathering on the chrome parts?

Jamestan After seeing some screenshot of the Adam Savage collective version of the helmet (http://imgur.com/a/yZkdF) i don't think i'll do the weathering on the chrome parts. However, I have seen some people just adding temporary stuff on the chrome part to for none permanent weathering.

I'm planing the mod the faceplate somehow, and i think what you have do is a great start but i'm scared about cutting the faceplate right now because i'm not so good at cutting and welding haha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Mod!:)

The sanding is great.What a grit did you used with what machine?

Kroenen77 Orbital sander with 60 grit for rough part, and 120 to remove fuzzy plastic. To remove the original texture, you have the sand a lot. Sometime, your welding will go away and you have to redo it, especially on the button part

Hey just curious how you welded the pieces together did you use extra plastic to fill in the weld . The Helmet is looking pretty awesome

regards FETT 1

I used soldering iron for welding. And yes, you have to fill with plastic sometime. I use the part i cut from the inside to fill gaps.

The only hard part to weld is the two button because they are not the same kind of plastic.

@Kroenen77 Orbital sander with 60 grit for rough part, and 120 to remove fuzzy plastic. To remove the original texture, you have the sand a lot. Sometime, your welding will go away and you have to redo it, especially on the button part

Thanks.I must look what I can do.;)

Your work is great on that helmet...but I would close the holes for the speaker between the chrome lines.You can use Milliput for that.
But only when you don´t wanna use it as a voicechanger in the next time!:lol

I removed the bad working voicechanger so its no problem.

Thanks.I must look what I can do.;)

Your work is great on that helmet...but I would close the holes for the speaker between the chrome lines.You can use Milliput for that.
But only when you don´t wanna use it as a voicechanger in the next time!:lol

I removed the bad working voicechanger so its no problem.

Agree with you. I also removed EVERYTHING about the voice changer. I'll use a Voice Synth Pro setup for voice changing.

Closing the holes for the speaker also on my todo list :) I just don't know how to do it clean.

Use Milliput.When you work with water you can create a very smooth surface.Because its a deep area you need to work in more steps.

I did that with mine:

25807859cd.jpg

Thanks..yes it is.:)

I use the 2 mouth plates from the Disney voicechanger half mask.They are a lot sharper as the BS ones.And when its finish you have the "seperate plates look" like the real helmet.

Awesome thread! I'm planning on modding my BS helmet in the near future.

Are you just sprinkling the fire-brick dust over the wet paint? - looks great!

Thanks..yes it is.:)

I use the 2 mouth plates from the Disney voicechanger half mask.They are a lot sharper as the BS ones.And when its finish you have the "seperate plates look" like the real helmet.

Love the crisp detail on the mouth plate - have you done some sculpting on it, or is it this crisp out of the box? Is it gray because its been primed?

Awesome thread! I'm planning on modding my BS helmet in the near future.

Are you just sprinkling the fire-brick dust over the wet paint? - looks great!

Love the crisp detail on the mouth plate - have you done some sculpting on it, or is it this crisp out of the box? Is it gray because its been primed?

Sorry for the delay !! And yes, over the wet paint !

By the way, i'm beginning the Disney mod soon on my BS helmet. I just received the Disney mask. Stay tuned !

Killano, when cutting and welding the disney jaw, did you remove the existing black series flare and then proceed to welding the ds jaw on your helmet? Or did you just weld the piece straight on top of the existing bs flare?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back