ROGUE ONE - E11 blaster differences

Here's a link to a desktop version of that album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/139302914@N04/albums/72157672822611574

That E-11 is very strange compared to all others that we've seen on display. It's still a cast airsoft sterling, but:
-it has a completely different scope rail and a different rear sight housing. The rail has bent ends and is mounted on round stand-off in the front, and with two screws in the back, rather than a straight piece of stock on square blocks)
-Hengstler counter with raised counter lens vs all others seen so far on R1 props with a recessed counter lens, including the E-22 in that same display.
-Scope engraving filled in versus all other E-11/22 (and the E-22 in that display) that still have the engraving visible

Here's the rail variation.

Blocks:
rail blocks.jpg

LA display with bent ends and new rear sight:
rail bent.jpg

I thought the scope rail on this was unique but reviewing the promo photo of the wading stormtroopers, at least two or three of them seem to have a scope rail and rear sight of similar construction:

TK blaster 3.jpgTK blaster 2.png

It makes me wonder if we are just seeing different levels of props (closeup vs rubber), or if some of the ones on display so far have been replicas (as with Launch Bay).

Last edited:
Note that the rails that are angled where they attach to the blaster have been damaged a bit by having the rail being bent where the scope attached. The rail being not sufficiently strong enough to support the scope. The scope may have been hit/ pressed down during use as seen in the last set of 3 photos.

Perhaps the blasters that have 3 blocks under them were built after they found out that the bent rail build didn't work well enough under the rigors of shooting in the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Note the silver weathering on the "brass" scope, and the "plastic" t-track. ;)

I noticed in one of those pics that the Hengstler socket DOES have a window to the Eagle!

I noticed in one of those pics that the Hengstler socket DOES have a window to the Eagle!

Yes you are correct, seeing this side of the counter it is now obvious that it does in fact have an Eagle window. However it is still a plastic socket cover albeit modified with the window cut out as the plastic socket covers were not made with windows. This is apparent by the abnormally large window cut out which is much larger than the windows on real vintage metal socket covers. Also the plastic injection molding leaves excess "flashing" at the injection points which is clearly visible in this photo on the front "T" shaped ridges. Speaking of which those "T" shaped ridges are connected on the plastic socket covers, but they are not connected on the metal socket covers, this is a defining point and confirms the plastic socket cover was used.
Also it should be noted that the Eagle logo in this photo is actually the Small Eagle, not the Medium or Large seen in ANH. Otherwise known as the "Mini" Eagle it is the smallest of the three Eagle size variations. It's also worth mentioning the front cover with the counter window is the screw-on type, not the clip-on type. You can see the screw if you look closely.
Rogue One Hengstler.jpg

As you can see here the counter on the left has an unmodified plastic socket cover with the connected "T" shaped ridges and the injection molding points on the front those ridges, notice it does not have eagle window cut out. The counter on the right is a small eagle with a plastic socket cover that I modified, only the window I cut out is more accurately sized to a real vintage metal socket cover used in ANH. I also disconnected the "T" shaped ridges to replicate the vintage metal ones more accurately.
image_zps2vhllfvn.jpeg

Below are three different size Eagle logos, Small on the left, Medium in the middle, and Large on the right.
image_zpskzh8zsec.jpeg

Last edited:
Aside from the wide front foot that I identified, this image confirms that a 1943 M38 Telescope (or resin cast) was used for the blasters. Notice the year in the engraving.
Rogue One Scope.jpg
The screen used Scope appears to have a number "8" on the side of it, but it's possible that this could be a number "3" as well.
Rogue One M38 Scope.jpgRogue One Scope 3.jpg
Here's my personal 1943 M38 Telescope. It also has the number 8 on the left side of it, and the wide front foot of course.
My 1943 M38.JPEG

Last edited:
Definitely a 3.

It's definitely possible but I'm not quite convinced of that. Look very closely at the shadows and highlights in that image, It could also be an 8 possibly.
Also look at the same number from this angle.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I'd have to dig some photos out, as I took them on a works phone and things move on but I made 2 working airsoft e11s in 2015 and one of them fell into the paws of the guys at pinewood studios. Considering that they built theirs EXACTLY the same as I made mine It wouldnt be far fetched to assume they copied it.
DBS props supplied the parts, originally for real steel, but the smart team sterling the hero props were made from is such a close replica the scope rail needs only minor modification.

I'd have to dig some photos out, as I took them on a works phone and things move on but I made 2 working airsoft e11s in 2015 and one of them fell into the paws of the guys at pinewood studios. Considering that they built theirs EXACTLY the same as I made mine It wouldnt be far fetched to assume they copied it.
DBS props supplied the parts, originally for real steel, but the smart team sterling the hero props were made from is such a close replica the scope rail needs only minor modification.

Woah how did it end up at pinewood? That's pretty awesome. Also, did you use a replica counter or a real one? What did you use for the tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my M-38 scope, made in 1943, w/ 2 flat-head fillister screws and a 3 on the side. One that's in focus and well lit, and the other that's out of focus and not well lit. (after the pop-up window opens, click on it for full-size). This font has a three which is very curved, almost touching, and when viewed under less than ideal lighting conditions, can be confused for an eight.

M-38 scope 02.JPGM-38 scope 03.JPG

And here's the photo that was posted after adjusting the curves:

Hemgstler logo visible 2.jpeg

Years ago someone, maybe Chris Trevas @lonepigeon , did some research to determine what numbers were assigned to which model scope. Perhaps it was to identify the factory that manufactured it, I don't recall. Maybe someone else knows.

Last edited:

You used resin scopes didn't you?
This would explain the origin of the scope that I discovered awhile back.
The Rogue One props use a M38 scope with a 3 on the side.

Yeah, I did. Really good quality ones, with lots of detail, that I milled out and fitted electrics in and installed glass lenses.
Tried doopydoos (total ****e) and a few others but then randomly found two guys in Swindon (England) who made stuff like the scopes, counters, rails, t track, muzzles and scopes and greeblies for DL series pistols ect as a side job, and they were fantastic. Unfortunately the two guys who made that stuff are no longer around (or one of them passed on).
I will try and find where the other one is but they were made out of the same materials, with the difference being on the other one I had a small switch on it to light the scope red for kill and blue for stun.
If anyone builds another out of an airsoft gun I put a UV light in the magazine so red tracer BBS gave the laser effect in darker conditions.

And I wouldn't pay too much attention to this blaster that people keep picturing. The hero ones have silver "bolts" (the firearm term) that have no detailing (the real sterling bolt has two grooves in it that are visible.)
This one is blatantly a cast as the receiver is filled in.
Just my two pence. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back