Back to the Future Head Goonie 1985 Class-5 Vest Replica Upgrade

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I have the BTTF replica vest from Head Goonies which is hands down the best replica in the world. Now even with it's stunning accuracy I found that it could use a couple small upgrades. I have a cheap Class-5 vest on hand that I will remove the buttons and attach them to the HG vest. Class-5 buttons have the rose logo on them so I want my vest to have that little extra bit of accuracy. The second thing is replace the HG patch on the inside with the real thing. I will never sell the vest this is just for me.

So since snap buttons aren't reusable I will have to adhere the two halves to the vest very carefully to not get any glue on the vest that doesn't need it.

The first step would be to drill out both sets buttons to separate the two pieces. Then glue the HG female ends to the vest so they stay in place and glue the real Class-5 buttons to the outside. I will never snap the buttons together so I won't have to worry too much on the glue's strength.

For the patch I will just pluck the stitches out of both of them and use a glue that works on nylon as the original patch was probably sewn on while the inner liner wasn't attached to the outside.

Tools/materials:
Drill
Drill bits
Adhesives
Class-5 buttons
Class-5 patch

Last edited:
Re: Head Goonie 1985 Class-5 Vest Replica Upgrade

I'd probably just hand sew the patch, glue can go terribly wrong on nylon...

First step complete. I separated the two halves of both sets of buttons. Next will be the gluing.
13256027_10206797125114759_42054917117697469_n.jpg

13239405_10206797125634772_7300584269449395197_n.jpg

13238959_10206797126434792_8154399010150038830_n.jpg

Well done! I tried before and terribly failed in dividing the snap buttons x)

The drilling for separating the class-5 buttons was a little tricky. They weren't pressed together like common buttons are where it's a circle you can drill out. It's like two prongs bent inward so it's touch to find a good drill point. The best way that I found was to come at it from one side and drill as much as I can. I used kind of a small bit for this part. Then do the other side. Then drill the middle out. For the HG vest it was easy as you just get a slightly bigger drill bit than the little circle inside and drill u til it pops off.

I used a razor to cut the patch off of the vest and just cut the border materal around it off so it looks like it's still stitched.
13256089_10206808894128977_3867351536930461243_n.jpg

This doesn't have anything to do with my HG vest, but I am selling my Magnoli Clothiers vest. I have a FS thread.

So, your current 1985 McFly outfit is:
Brown Hair Dye
Indy's Sunglasses (pending)
Magenta Short sleeved T-Shirt
Shah Safari Re issued shirt
Black X suspenders
Headgoonie's Updated McFly Denim
Headgoonie's updated Mcfly Vest (Class 5 replacements pending)
Lavender Calvin Klein Underwear
Real Stonewashed Guess Jeans
Gray Crew Socks
Real Nike Bruins

Marty's Red Wallet, Madrid's Valterra re-issue, an AIWA MKII, Sony headphones, Eastpak Pak'r in maroon, and JVC GR-C1U
Is that right?

So, your current 1985 McFly outfit is:
Brown Hair Dye
Indy's Sunglasses (pending)
Magenta Short sleeved T-Shirt
Shah Safari Re issued shirt
Black X suspenders
Headgoonie's Updated McFly Denim
Headgoonie's updated Mcfly Vest (Class 5 replacements pending)
Lavender Calvin Klein Underwear
Real Stonewashed Guess Jeans
Gray Crew Socks
Real Nike Bruins

Marty's Red Wallet, Madrid's Valterra re-issue, an AIWA MKII, Sony headphones, Eastpak Pak'r in maroon, and JVC GR-C1U
Is that right?

I have natural brown hair so I don't know where you got that I have hair dye. And the things out of items you mentioned that I don't have are the suspenders, purple underwear, socks, wallet, walkman, and guess jeans.

I have natural brown hair so I don't know where you got that I have hair dye. And the things out of items you mentioned that I don't have are the suspenders, purple underwear, socks, wallet, walkman, and guess jeans.

Someone mentioned on another thread needing Hair dye. Guess it wasn't you.
Anyways, I am glad to see your outfit becoming more and more like the screen used outfit.

Hi so I was curious on how u were able to buy HG's vest because jetlinks website is in all Japanese and even when translated it's to hard to understand how to order it. Oh and just making sure do u live in the U.S. because I wasn't sure whether or not they even ship to the US? Thanks

Hi so I was curious on how u were able to buy HG's vest because jetlinks website is in all Japanese and even when translated it's to hard to understand how to order it. Oh and just making sure do u live in the U.S. because I wasn't sure whether or not they even ship to the US? Thanks
I contacted Miki Ooyagi on facebook and paid through paypal. He is the head of Headgoonie. Unfortunately, they only do one run of a certain item and don't make any more after that. Maybe you can get lucky and they didn't sell all of them yet, but I doubt it. And yes I am from the US.

Last edited:
Hi I just so happened to find headgooonies vest still available on a website called jetlink.com. But when I try buying it even after its translated it's still confusing and I'm not sure if they ship to the US. I don't know the head person at keeping so sadly I can't do what u did. I tried contacting them through twitter but haven't gotten a response yet. Maybe I'll try though facebook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back