Revell Build and Play Millennium Falcon

Gregatron

Master Member
So, I decide to pick up the FORCE AWAKENS Build and Play Millennium Falcon from Revell for a mere $20. STAR TREK is my primary modeling passion, but I also love STAR WARS, and am way behind on building SW kits. I have a whole stack of 'em that I've never gotten around to building. So, I picked up the Revell Falcon to practice my weathering techniques (I have limited weathering experience, since TREK ships tend to be very clean), and prepare for my eventual Bandai and Fine Molds Falcon builds.

image.jpeg

This was my very first experience with preshading, washes, and the hairspray method of paint chipping. Pastel chalks were used for the streaks, rust, etc. I also acquired a 3D-printed radar dish (designed for the Fine Molds 1/144 Falcon, which the Revell kit is almost a perfect scale match for) from Tony's Shapeways store, and replaced the clear engine grille with smooth, frosted clear styrene, so as to backdate the model to a proper ESB/ROTJ style, since the Revell kit appears to have been based on the Fine Molds, which itself was based on the 32" ESB model.

This was not a full-on accurizing build. The toy-like landing gear and electronics module remain, and the only structural changes were the radar dish and addition of the battle damage. But, for my first true STAR WARS build, and my first major weathering job, I think it turned out pretty darn well!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. I built one of these with my six-year-old, to keep him from grabbing at one of my more delicate Falcons. I made him do at least half the work and he had fun. Then he spent all day playing with it, but insisted I didn't weather it cause he liked it looking clean.

I have another of these that I mean to build a mini-diorama with of the ship under the tarp on Jakku.

Cheers!

--Alex

Nice job. Looks like one of the better Revells... Although it's not the most accurate kit (are any 100%, though?) it makes a very attractive model. The shading and weathering look great.

I've been comparing it to the Bandai--by itself, and with a proper paint job (with preshading, washes, streaking, etc.), the Revell is rather impressively detailed for the size and cost. Set next to the Bandai, though...it's like night and day. The Bandai's detailing is just superb, and makes the Revell look like a cheap toy. The Revell only really suffers by comparison, though. By itself, it makes for a very nice little Falcon to set on a table or bookshelf.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back