Doctor Who Handles Foam Pep Disaster

Hey D,

Derek is looking pretty damn good, however I have a question, why have you built it on it's side? LOL!
Seriously though it's really is looking good, you and your helper ('s) should be very proud of yourselves. I'm thinking three weeks to finish is a bit tight though, even for a propmeister like yourself! I hope you get enough time and resources to do it, since you've worked your socks off on it so far.
Excuse me, I need to pop out for some more Popcorn and snacks. Don't worry though, I'll be right here for the next transmission.!

Roughneck:coolne

This whole weekend was supposed to be given over to dalek building. In reality, I got about six hours in total. Better yet, my weasels tried to help...
20180929_164226.jpg
They have worse issues with focus than I do. So, I sprayed the bumper with a rubberised black paint.
20180929_134936.jpg
I primed the skirt and sprayed that with one coat of bronze...
20180929_154440.jpg20180929_170207.jpg
For the shoulders, it was time to start fitting all those damn slats. I tasked one of the weasels with making the filler pieces for behind the slats. She did...some of them. Well, most of them. And, to be fair, she did it while I was doing other stuff, so she DID save me time and effort.
20180930_165853.jpg
I built the top part of the cowl, using foamcore board. For accuracy's sake, I'll have to cut a slot in the top board, but not yet.
20180929_170155.jpg
I want to spend a lot longer on the surfacing, but there really isn't enough time. I went ahead and sprayed it with a first coat.
20180930_171403.jpg

Decided to go with four discs, rather than the canon six, because I'm short of time and the stalk itself is short.
20181005_143602.jpg
I have slightly less than half the hemispheres I need. I don't know I can find another thirty before next weekend, but I guess I should try - I don't have a plan B. I can't fit the ones I have until I've finished spraying the skirt, so I got on with that too.
20181005_150704.jpg
The gun arms are out for the moment, getting their final spray coats. Today I hope to line the neck cage, finish spraying the skirt and fitting the hemis. Then it's getting the eyestalk installed in the dome and remembering to attach the string to raise it up and down.

I did none of those things. I climbed a mountain with my family, which was nice, but didn't get any dalek done,
When we got home I resprayed the skirt and the shoulders, then built a housing for the eyestalk cogwheel. It may work, I don't know yet. I also bought three extra-bright LED flashlights - one for the laser, two for the ears. Dunno about the wiring and stuff, but my eldest's best friend is training to be an Electrical Engineer....
20181006_191316.jpg

Wow,

That is absolutely brilliant, I can see you're almost there! Congratulations to you and all the other family artisans who are working on Derek the Dalek, you should be proud of what you have achieved. Looking forward to seeing him completed.

Roughneck:coolne

I found the last hemis I needed (drove half an hour to pick 'em up) and press-ganged my latest visiting relative into gluing 20 sticks into position while I trimmed and re-fitted the existing hemis.Then I put the last of the bolt-heads into the slats (some builders use real bolts, but I am cheap and lazy, so I used plastic caps designed to hide screws...) Derek is good, other than the vital light-up ears. I need to get to Canadian Tire and buy some wire, otherwise they're just going to be ears.
20181009_211045.jpg
The Fan Expo starts on Friday, but we have tickets for Saturday. My Eldest, who is the operator for Derek, won't be done with work until noon on Sat. Should we take an empty dalek for the morning anyway?

So, what constitutes a victory?
We got to the Fan Expo. We met up with my Eldest, and assembled Derek outside the convention centre. We attracted a crowd almost immediately, because we were right on the path to the entrance.
Met this nice lady:
Shannon Lindsey meets Derek.png
Once we had a break in the crowd, we tried wheeling on round the corner to the plaza outside the entrance to the convention centre. We had barely gone 10 metres before the front wheel broke. I had a bag of glue, duct tape, craft knife, multi-tool...but no spare wheel. Damn.
We moved Derek inside and tried to repair the wheel. It worked well enough for Derek to amuse a few folks for a while.
Then we tried to move again, and the wheel fell apart for good. We manhandled Derek to a clear space, where he continued to attract attention, even when Eldest stepped out for a breather.
20181013_152918.jpg
It was disappointing that I didn't build better, or think to bring the right spares. On the other hand, people seemed genuinely stoked that we had built Derek and lugged him all the way to the Fan Expo. They didn't see the rough surfacing or the cut corners. We were pat of the Fan Expo experience, and that was cool.
Derek's back home now, and waiting on an upgrade or two. Mrs Dim has decided that the issues were a result of her not taking a more supervisory role, and she's planning the whole revamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it on twitter, and I'll say it here too -- you should be really proud. Derek looks fantastic. This was really ambitious and a huge step up from a Republic Commando helmet. As makers, we only see the flaws while everyone else takes in the project as a whole and never sees those little things. Happy to hear Mrs. Dim is now on board. Can't wait for the next family build.

In case anyone's still following this thread - we rebuilt Derek, and had a MUCH better experience at Vancouver Fan Expo 2020. Last week we took him up to Simon Fraser University (where they filmed the Halo Dawn short films) and shot this epic drama:

That was great Damien! It was awesome to see Derek out and about doing Dalek'y things.
I hope you and your family are following his self-isolation advice as much as possible and doing well. It's certainly testing us at the moment over here in the UK.

Roughneckone:cool:

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back