X-Men: Apocalypse (Post-release)

I liked the movie, but then again I like all the X-men movies. I never read their comics so I don't get hung up by them or any inconsistent issue the movies bring. Thought it was an entertaining movie. Not sure exactly what all the haters are looking for, you can nitpick almost every movie out there if you really want to find something to pick.

I think i'm going to check this one out next week.

I liked thefirst two movies, even though i skipped the 90s series they are loosely based on. and i never read the comics.

It was an okay movie. Quicksilver was definitely the best thing in the movie. As for Apocalypse himself... If he had the power to turn those factory workers into dust, then howcome he couldn't just kill the X-Men as soon as he first encountered them? (when they arrived at the mansion to take Charles)

His whole mission is to make all mutants the only beings on the planet, Sebastian Shaw didn't like hurting other mutants, Magneto (McKellen) never liked killing other mutants. There's a shortage already, no need to kill each other when the regular humans want that anyway

His whole mission is to make all mutants the only beings on the planet, Sebastian Shaw didn't like hurting other mutants, Magneto (McKellen) never liked killing other mutants. There's a shortage already, no need to kill each other when the regular humans want that anyway

Never realized that. Thanks for clearing it up :)

I thought it was alright, somewhere around X1, but not as good as X2 or DoFP. I would have done a few things differently, and it could stand to lose 15 minutes or so, but it didn't offend me greatly.
Do wish Apocalypse had been a little more imposing.
The stinger was cool though!

See, I didnt get that, and from the comics, that really isnt his mission either. I didnt get Apacolypse's mission at all, thats a point for me where I was like "what the hell is this guy doing, whats his point"? The comics Apacolypse believes in the darwinian approach of the strong ruling over the weak, regardless if youre a mutant or not. Thats what was annoying, was that he arbitrarily killed humans, when he totally could have killed the Xmen, especially if they were going to thwart his master plan. When Angel was down he was like "useless" or something along those lines. If they are plugging the egyptian thing, they were all about making sacrifices. I think the writers/director are kind of like "we dont care if the writing makes sense or not, youre going to see it anyway", which of course is awful.

Movie was...AWESOME!!!!!

Course some flaws are there. There's no ignoring or getting away from them. But it was awesome! Better than First class and DoFP. The best part is Charles losing his hair and finally being bald! Second is Weapon X Logan escaping! But not before he unleashes his rage mode!!!
So many Easter eggs. So many nice juicy details. And the X-Men finally being started! Oh, and the nice 80's theme. I love the 80's

See, I didnt get that, and from the comics, that really isnt his mission either. I didnt get Apacolypse's mission at all, thats a point for me where I was like "what the hell is this guy doing, whats his point"? The comics Apacolypse believes in the darwinian approach of the strong ruling over the weak, regardless if youre a mutant or not. Thats what was annoying, was that he arbitrarily killed humans, when he totally could have killed the Xmen, especially if they were going to thwart his master plan. When Angel was down he was like "useless" or something along those lines. If they are plugging the egyptian thing, they were all about making sacrifices. I think the writers/director are kind of like "we dont care if the writing makes sense or not, youre going to see it anyway", which of course is awful.

Leaving Angel but not killing him was just saying "well you aren't a leader anymore but you'll still witness a mutant world" The mutants fight for survival and wanting to fit in. But the "bad guys" want the humans dead, because the humans always try to get rid of the mutants, or they've experienced something similar in their life (Magneto) .

Charles wants the world to coexist, while Erik wants full superiority. Then there's the ones who take a big leap in the mutant superiority side of things. Its not a huge risk to the good mutants, they just want humans to live alongside the mutants. So we actually dont feel the stakes of what is going on. If we had more human characters, it'd be a bigger game being played, but since is mainly mutant v mutant, Apocalypse's motivation seemed less dangerous in the end

My biggest beef with this movie is that none of the returning principals look like they could be twenty years older than they did in First Class, excepting maybe Fassbender. Prof and Mags (and Mystique for that matter, though her power makes this moot) are all in their early 50's by '83. Beast and Havoc should have been pushing 40 as well. It just didn't hold together for me with the timeline.
But honestly, I think that's my biggest complaint.

Don't forget Moira McTaggart who looks late-30s, considering she must have been in her 20s in First Class.

And we're supposed to make the leap from McAvoy to Stewart in about 17 years after Apocalypse. Maybe in addition to making him bald, Apocalypse also accelerated his aging. :p

I've seen several comments here by people who have no previous X-Men comic book experience enjoying this movie. Honestly, I think that's who these X-Men movies are tailored to. Bryan Singer has flat out said he's not a fan of the comics so he's taking the premise and making his own movie.

I've always wondered if it's better to cater to the general audience or the fans? I guess it depends on how big your fan base is. As a fan, I will see a movie multiple times if it appeals to the comic book roots of the characters whereas if it strays too far I'll likely only give it a single viewing. Are general audiences more likely to see a movie multiple times if they enjoy something? I kind of doubt it and I think you're seeing those results from the films we've had so far this summer (BvS and X:A are somewhat lackluster while CA:CW and Deadpool have done much better).

I guess Mystique let Wolverine go and he still ended up in possession of Stryker within the next few years.

that would be my guess. He still had to have the metal claws installed.

I can't remember the status of Magneto in the last one.

I kind of liked that he went and had a family, and that fate is trying to drive him evil. that was the most heart wrenching part of the story.
You CAN'T hate Magneto in this movie given what's happened to him. kind of tough to do.

I'm still not quite sure what jeans powers are, not being a die hard x men fan...but I guess if they can take down a god.....they've got to be pretty good.

All in all, not a bad movie.
I forgot quicksilvers lineage. But I forget how magneto and his mother hooked up too...

I guess I really should rewatch the first two again.

All in all, it's a GREAT series. I doubt marvel could do any better with it if they had it. unlike fantastic four.
tHere is a sense of fun in the X Men movies that is missing in that other one.

looking forward to a 4.

I've always wondered if it's better to cater to the general audience or the fans? I guess it depends on how big your fan base is. As a fan, I will see a movie multiple times if it appeals to the comic book roots of the characters whereas if it strays too far I'll likely only give it a single viewing. Are general audiences more likely to see a movie multiple times if they enjoy something? I kind of doubt it and I think you're seeing those results from the films we've had so far this summer (BvS and X:A are somewhat lackluster while CA:CW and Deadpool have done much better).

I do believe that there are alot of stories out there that can be appealing for both. Bvs had way too many comic storylines pushed in one movie, X-men apocalypse is a timeline mess now. First class should have actually been a reboot rather then a prequel. Cap was one of the best so far and yet wasnt as i hoped it to be. It def wasnt a Civil War but more like a minor dispute. And deadpool basicly showed how you can make a romantic comedy R-rated.

I'm still not quite sure what jeans powers are, not being a die hard x men fan...but I guess if they can take down a god.....they've got to be pretty good.

Phoenix force which can be put in a list as being one of the most powerful things in the marvel universe.

I agree if she has Phoenix in her then she's up there with Galactus in power levels, it's why the Phoenix saga was so important to the comics as she had to deal with the powers and the fact that the force itself was sentient.

She's supposed to a telepath with telekinetic powers as well, but that's just Jean Grey as Jean Grey, when you add in the Phoenix then she can do pretty much anything she wants.

we're getting short changed on the Phoenix saga and we're going to be really short changed with the Dark Phoenix saga.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back