Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Post-release)

What did you think of Birds of Prey?

• Total voters
The whole Paul Dini concept was that love isn't always healthy, and it certainly wasn't/isn't for Harley in those early days. New 52 actually has Harley off on her own, with non abusive relationships and is actively doing some good in the world as an anti-hero rather than an anti-villain. I think the idea of the second type is more appealing, but of course I still love the idea of the original Harley.

Psychologically it would be interesting to see the pure dedication/blind love (mad love) angle, but I think I can accept the newer style if it's done well. (Bloody hope it is!)

I appreciate the change in theory, but there are many issues in practice, particularly with Conner and Palmiotti writing. Harley was on her own for years in her 2000 series and after, prior to 2011. That said, most people knew she would eventually return to the Joker, which she also has done in New 52 and will after. It doesn't sway from Dini, it tries to have it's cake and eat it by varying without committing. Dini's character means a lot to people who have been abused in relationships.

Ah yes - I forgot how many die hard idiots are claiming that the DCEU is too similar to their favourite universe. Oh that's right. None. Because the majority of complaints center around the fact it is being done differently... :facepalm

In related news, I'd be interested in this. As long as it's an interesting premise and an entertaining story I'm sold.

What I aren't looking forward to is the thinly veiled sexism masquerading as "genuine concern". And the inevitable (hasn't happened yet, so I'm actually hopeful) Ghostbusters comparisons. Because can you imagine the absolute temerity of a film that dares have primarily a female cast?

The whole Paul Dini concept was that love isn't always healthy, and it certainly wasn't/isn't for Harley in those early days. New 52 actually has Harley off on her own, with non abusive relationships and is actively doing some good in the world as an anti-hero rather than an anti-villain. I think the idea of the second type is more appealing, but of course I still love the idea of the original Harley.

Psychologically it would be interesting to see the pure dedication/blind love (mad love) angle, but I think I can accept the newer style if it's done well. (Bloody hope it is!)

I'll thank you to save the childish name calling for someone else.

The head of WB or DC, can't recall which, said pretty much what I wrote above - that they needed cash in while they could. Their words, not mine. Was right after Avengers 1.

The issue has nothing to do with quality. No one really had a universe until marvel tried to do it. We've had what? 6-7 superman movies? 8-9 batman movies? All, before BvS. Never an attempt to stick the two of them or any other hero in any of the movies. Universe wasn't really on their mind. I know they've kicked a JLA around a couple times in the past, but it wasn't ever connected to anything else.

The point is that I seriously doubt there'd be a DCU of any type whatsoever right now, if not for Marvel's success. But, i guess you're right about one thing...they are doing them differently. One's a rousing success across the board, and as of now, the other is not.

That's fair, yeah. I'll confess that I'm not that well versed in Hawkman/Hawkgirl (or is it Hawkwoman now?) lore, but I can say conclusively that either the actor playing Hawkman is TERRIBLE, or the writing for him is bad, or some combination of the two. I think it's the actor. He has ZERO chemistry with the woman playing Kendra and I actually DON'T want to see them together. I prefer when he's dead/gone from the show because he just drags it to a crawl. He seems really, really miscast.

Black Canary is annoying, but a big part of that was her story arcs. That and the fact that Katie Cassidy just never really could convincingly pull off being a badass. White Canary is much more believable. She has much better physicality as an actress. Vixen was ok, but we didn't get to see her long enough to really form an opinion. Speedy is...meh. Again, lacks physicality. The problem with casting pretty waifish actresses is that they then struggle to really sell the physical side of things. Unless they're gonna put on 20-30lbs of muscle, it just won't fly, and the actress who plays Speedy, while perfectly fine as Oliver's sister before she was a ninja, just doesn't really sell the ninja side of things.

My point is more about the core of the characters, and the general vibe of the shows. They just feel to me much more like reading a comic than watching the DC Murderverse films.

That's how i feel about Savage...can't stand the actor or the character - at least on that show. We're talking fingernails on a chalkboard for me...

This feels like a film concept that WB should've greenlit AFTER seeing the reception for Suicide Squad. Totally feels like a Diane Nelson push, not just because she's a woman but because she was the one who championed DC Superhero Girls. Again I don't have an issue with this concept, but this seems incredibly premature.

Posted by Margot Robbie.

Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). In theatres February 7, 2020.

DseSuNlX4AAKvMh.jpg

Margot Robbie Reveals Full Birds of Prey Title

"The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed this is the official title and not just the star having some fun by riffing off of Michael Keaton's 2014 Oscar-winning movie Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)."

Saw this last night and had a blast. This movie is so much fun! It's not perfect by any means, but it kept me entertained and happy in a way I haven't been in a movie in a while. I've always thought no one could be a better Harley than Arleen Sorkin, but Margot Robbie is really starting to creep up to the #1 spot for me.

I watched (the awful) Suicide Squad the night before and Harley Quinn was the only enjoyable parts of the entire movie. She kind of reminds me of Deadpool in Birds of Prey.

I had a lot of fun with this one, though I think I like HQ in smaller doses. A little bit goes a long way for me with that character, she is A LOT.
The police station scene is great, colorful and manic.
Huntress was unexpectedly funny. Wanted more of her.
Ewan was also great as Black Mask.
Will get the Blu Ray when it hits.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back