TIE Killer based on DaveG open source

Re: Open source Y-Wing (DaveG)

Nice start!

I've noticed that the hurricane engine blocks overhang the wings when I test fit mine. Same on yours? Is it accurate that way? I have a hard time telling with pics so far.

I had to add a strip to the leading edge. I've noticed a few shortcomings in areas but I'm not sure if the plant on parts are supposed to make up for it.

This is really just a prototype for lack of a better term. I do plan on finishing it however, then I'll make a legitimate one once I know what I need to do.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

As I said, looking great. I look forward to seeing all the builds.

Looking good Hammer! The shot you have with the forward fuselage attached, is that your own creation or from something else?

Looking good Hammer! The shot you have with the forward fuselage attached, is that your own creation or from something else?

Thanks, the forward fuse is from DaveGs file and the cockpit, canopy are from files that Flintlock gave me some years back, they are low poly so the facets show and there are no panel lines. I'll be using the DaveG parts once I get them.

I'll be using the DaveG parts once I get them.

An update - i rejected the first 3D printed forward fuselage parts i got from Shapeways as they were warped. I expect new ones in another week or so.

I mentioned to Hammer in a PM that I encourage posting of any corrections that need to be made to my files (just do it nicely!). Be as specific as you can. If it's something simple I might be able to update the files.

I mentioned to Hammer in a PM that I encourage posting of any corrections that need to be made to my files (just do it nicely!). Be as specific as you can. If it's something simple I might be able to update the files.

There's problem with the wing pipe, on your model it's centered with the wing plate, which is wrong, the bottom of the pipe should be almost flush with the bottom of the wing plate.
The top front of your cockpit is curved where the canopy starts, it should be flat (the front of the cockpit is basically a flat triangle).
The front of the bottom half of your neck has a 90 degrees angle which is incorrect.
I dont have your files so I cant check the measurements but the body seems to have small innacuracies that may lead to bad fitting of the kitparts.

I've come across some problem areas mostly related to the mid section,forward block and the Droid area. I think some styrene to build up areas would work if a person doesn't 3d model in order to get kit parts fitting. I'm just using castings for now and building as is without any major modifying, I'll do a more accurate version down the road someday. I'm not super concerned for this build as its not costing me a lot and it sure looks like a Y (more so than another version on Ebay).

......another thing. What's up with the fuselage design being as funky as it is if they just cover it all up with parts and pipes? Seems like a lot of work. Anyone know some history on it?

Just a note - there were a couple of areas on the fuselage I had intended on adding styrene to make the printed parts easier to clean up. This would also allow fine tuning to fit kit parts. You're all seeing this project evolve as it goes and some are building along, or are way ahead. I've not got to attaching the kit parts yet.

Last edited:

Not sure adding some styrene would fix the misaligned wing pipe, the too curvy -in some places- cockpit or the neck

No but 3D modelling will address all these issues, perhaps someone will do just that in the future, the neck has some of the bigger problems, however adding to the mid and fore section can be done to get things close, yoke needs work too. I guess it will all come down to what makes the builder happy and how much patience they have.

Cheers

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back