Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

I am planning on adding the inset "GLENROSS" text to my model, although it would take some tests to get the scaling right so that it prints properly. The resolution of the 3D printer I'm using is the limiting factor, so it'll take some experimenting. Conceivably I could model the whole thing and then see about getting it printed on a higher-end machine...

But I wanted to make sure I was in the ball park with the basic dimensions of this thing before I get too far into the details! :thumbsup
Hi Dude
nice start with 3D print all I can suggest regarding all round measurements is to message gonk27 and see if he will be willing to send you or post all round pics of the measurements or even if anybody has real expanders that would be willing to help out, I would be interested to see how these work out and maybe purchase a set until some originals turn up

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little update !!!
Im still here, but not much happening on the build, I’ve loads of work to get through in the real world and Christmas just round the corner I need to complete a couple of little builds for my sons and grandson

But in the meantime, a little pic of what I picked up the other day

on the left is an original LMK AM connector, Courtesy of @OdiWan72 and on the right is a UKW FM connector I picked up from the Bay
i was pleasantly surprised with overall look, size and shape, identical, just the lettering is different and one hole for the metal prongs is the same angle, not opposite like the original

1802ADEE-FB22-48F6-88DD-5570ED9C74CA.jpeg952B235F-7068-4DD7-A66B-35DF69551B67.jpeg
CACBA3A8-D304-434B-BC5D-C19947AC7F66.jpegD02AC473-CE14-45C8-B3B2-8A3FB3DB8FC4.jpeg4945CA79-B617-4B8A-A83D-A3847EF7B78A.jpeg
Im going to try and copy these in the new year.
Also I’m going to rearrange my garage into my workshop as I need to get my CFO Vader helmet worked on, Mmmmmm 2018 is going to be a great year for Vader reveal builds.

Last edited:
Well I just printed out my first test of the same expansion screw model with the "GLENROSS" text inset into it. It's simply beyond the resolution capabilities of this particular printer unfortunately, but it does give the general impression of the word being there... :lol

Glenross3Dprint4.jpg

Glenross3Dprint4.jpg

I’ve had my first attempt of moulding and casting, these are for the neck collar,
i need to try a few more, I also need a more flexible resin as it’s a little brittle, as for my first attempt I’m quite pleased, things can only get better
C7EC9D74-2709-4ED9-9BB1-6C0B64C08A86.jpeg
Second photo not loading
the piece on the left is the original, the one on the right is the cast, it’s missed a couple of the finer details that I will improve on and not as flexible as I wanted, just need to change the mixture or get another resin that’s not as brittle

If you heat the resin in hot water you can bend it in shape.;)
Thanks Mark
have you got a small piece of the neck collar grill you could share ? I’m thinking of drawing some up for photo etching

- - - Updated - - -

Well I just printed out my first test of the same expansion screw model with the "GLENROSS" text inset into it. It's simply beyond the resolution capabilities of this particular printer unfortunately, but it does give the general impression of the word being there... :lol

View attachment 778715
any updates on your bits

I believe the neck grill mesh could have been from a Telefunken reel to reel tape player. It would have been the speaker mesh along one side. A different player to the ANH mesh reel to reel. But I saw a grill very similar on another player.

Thanks Mark
have you got a small piece of the neck collar grill you could share ? I’m thinking of drawing some up for photo etching

- - - Updated - - -

any updates on your bits

No problem.I must look if I still have some rest of my ABS plastic mesh.

I believe the neck grill mesh could have been from a Telefunken reel to reel tape player. It would have been the speaker mesh along one side. A different player to the ANH mesh reel to reel. But I saw a grill very similar on another player.
thanks Mark
starting the long search now
I will be in touch soon over ROTJ trooper costume for my 50th birthday party ( if she lets me ) :lol

- - - Updated - - -

LOL search over

The mesh openings on the real mask are a lot thinner and smaller.But I think its a good track.:)

Ah the last pics from Mark are looking really good!

I wanted to show that I’ve done a first test pull of the rubber washer from inside the mask but my photos are not loading, been having trouble for a few weeks now with photos periodically loading and not loading
they came out ok but I need to change the rubber I used, it’s too floppy, need to be more ridged, it’s in pink at the moment so when I order some new rubber I will also order some black pigment, but if anybody knows of black rubber you can pour available in the uk I would appreciate the input

CEF070F9-F93D-4B8F-9A1D-34D60D618BE6.png
Horay it’s loaded
I did one in rubber, it’s to soft, it needs to be more rigid and black, I also did a plastic one first so I could see the overall mould shape, I like it a lot

Last edited:
any updates on your bits

Well I've just returned home from an extended trip out of the country so I haven't made any further progress on these 3D models, although the resin copies of original Glenross expanders (both the large and small models) that Kroenen77 kindly sent me arrived in my absence and I can now compare the dimensions I estimated. It looks like I almost perfectly nailed the measurements for the larger model, but I can make a couple updates. Here's a quick comparison of my grey coloured 3D print next to the black resin copy.

LargeGlenross3Dprintcomp1.jpg LargeGlenross3Dprintcomp2.jpg

Thanks again to Kroenen77! I'll be sure to post when I have some updates made!

LargeGlenross3Dprintcomp1.jpg

LargeGlenross3Dprintcomp2.jpg

Well I've just returned home from an extended trip out of the country so I haven't made any further progress on these 3D models, although the resin copies of original Glenross expanders (both the large and small models) that Kroenen77 kindly sent me arrived in my absence and I can now compare the dimensions I estimated. It looks like I almost perfectly nailed the measurements for the larger model, but I can make a couple updates. Here's a quick comparison of my grey coloured 3D print next to the black resin copy.

View attachment 787627 View attachment 787628

Thanks again to Kroenen77! I'll be sure to post when I have some updates made!
you have done a fantastic job can’t wait to see more, these might just be on my to buy list ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back