Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Here it the exact shape as traced from the mercedes typewriter parts. around 2005 i was working on my reveal with Michael Peter in Germany who was lucky enough to have found the right machine to scavenge parts. I was gonna make myself a new set soon. I have dimensions for many of the other metal parts as well.
:)View attachment 763818
what a nice surprise @steve148 I remember your name very well ( yuku forum I'm sure ? ) I cannot thank you enough for the pics and hopefully anything else you could share with us
as sskunky mentioned about the typewriter would the exact model still be known as I've looked at many Mercedes typewriters and still found nothing ( as yet ) I was going to move onto Mercedes adding machines next.
Many many thanks for getting in touch
im now going to be busy rescaling and re-drawing my parts for everybody to enjoy sskunky you need to get busy now !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I know Michael Peter said that he has found the right typewriter...but never said what model it is and never posted pics from the parts.
So this is very interesting now.

From what I know Michael Peter said that he has found the right typewriter...but never said what model it is and never posted pics from the parts.
So this is very interesting now.

What he wrote to me back then.

I don`t know the model because my typewriter was disambled and the main body was missing. Actually I bought some rusty metal things...
I called the man who sold it to me yesterday but he `didn`t tell me what type it is. I´m angry about that guy! I payed so much money for it...

But I can promise you that my polystyrene parts are exactly the same size and thickness of the material as the metal ones

- - - Updated - - -

I bought many a mercedes typewriter from gwrmany without success. It got too expensive so i just gave up.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill post more typewriter part drawings soon.

Here is a great story about that line under thr dome some fanatics have to add to their mask.

I also thought you might be interested in this story from Tom Mulack regarding his visit to the LFL Archives:

"When I was attending a STW con this year, a propmaker had a very nice Vader
reveal on display. It had a very thin, horizontal white line painted along
the edge of the dome on the right front side. I talked to the owner, who was
very proud of his screen accurate mask. I asked him why the white line was
was there, and he replied that you can see it in all the MOM images and also
the archives book. So I stated that it was not there when the mask was used
on screen, the thin line is actually a crack that happened when Lorne took
the mask from the shelf to hand it over to me. When he touched it, the heavy
top part fell over, and since then the dome had this crack. Bad luck."

A rare shot from the archives
Screenshot_20171005-211304.png

Screenshot_20171005-211304.png

What he wrote to me back then.

I don`t know the model because my typewriter was disambled and the main body was missing. Actually I bought some rusty metal things...
I called the man who sold it to me yesterday but he `didn`t tell me what type it is. I´m angry about that guy! I payed so much money for it...

But I can promise you that my polystyrene parts are exactly the same size and thickness of the material as the metal ones

- - - Updated - - -

I bought many a mercedes typewriter from gwrmany without success. It got too expensive so i just gave up.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill post more typewriter part drawings soon.

Thanks.So what I said.There is no proof that he really has the originalparts.Only his statement.

@steve148
the drawings of the brow / crown linkage and ears taken from actual used parts or are they scaled drawings from pictures
View attachment 764005View attachment 764004
Thanks

Ben

Ben. The brow and crown linkages are from the real parts and i think the ears are my drawings. I remember studying the photos and taking measurements to make that template. Same for all the keys. I have a cad program that allows me to trace an image from a photo. So i scaled the photo of the real mask, layered my see thru cad program over the image and traced the part.

Last edited:
Ben. The brow and crown linkages are from the real parts and i think the ears are my drawings. I remember studying the photos and taking measurements to make that template. Same for all the keys. I have a cad program that allows me to trace an image from a photo. So i scaled the photo of the real mask, layered my see thru cad program over the image and traced the part.
2 years on and I'm still learning how to use my autocad 2017

Ok update time !!!!
HA HA HA it’s Arrived
My long awaited CFO ROTJ Vader Mask for my reveal build, :D:lol:D:love I sooooooo love this mask it’s a work of art, Mark sskunky you are a genius, I can now carry on with my build and start to build my reveal parts to a much better scale
4639D434-79C4-4853-8199-A5FDDFCBC1E4.jpegB3608DC3-D75A-4706-A374-91BE551BB687.pngF5ED950C-A1E6-40BF-9870-CC7B7E43F17F.png
Oh im such a happy fella right now and a big thanks to my beautiful wife for getting me this for an early 50th birthday present ( 20 years early) cough cough ;):rolleyes:lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok update time !!!!
HA HA HA it’s Arrived
My long awaited CFO ROTJ Vader Mask for my reveal build, :D:lol:D:love I sooooooo love this mask it’s a work of art, Mark @sskunky you are a genius, I can now carry on with my build and start to build my reveal parts to a much better scale
View attachment 770266View attachment 770267View attachment 770268
Oh im such a happy fella right now and a big thanks to my beautiful wife for getting me this for an early 50th birthday present ( 20 years early) cough cough ;):rolleyes:lol

Congratulations buddy! looking great :)

Will you be using it just for scaling purpose or do you plan to make your own reveal helmet from it (instead of waiting for Marc to do this)?
What does Marc charge for this kit?

Congratulations buddy! looking great :)

Will you be using it just for scaling purpose or do you plan to make your own reveal helmet from it (instead of waiting for Marc to do this)?
What does Marc charge for this kit?
Hi Markus
I will be using this helmet for my reveal, as I’m building I will be scaling all my parts for this accurate helmet, I will also be using the helmets measurements to help me rescale my first mask.
I want to build 2 reveals, my first helmet is way smaller than this accurate one so I need to chop it up and rebuild my first helmet before I can actually get on with my build, I’m so excited to get on with it, but real world work has to take priority.

Many a night has been spent sitting and looking at it !!! ( my wife says I need to get a room ) !!!

Hi Markus
I will be using this helmet for my reveal, as I’m building I will be scaling all my parts for this accurate helmet, I will also be using the helmets measurements to help me rescale my first mask.
I want to build 2 reveals, my first helmet is way smaller than this accurate one so I need to chop it up and rebuild my first helmet before I can actually get on with my build, I’m so excited to get on with it, but real world work has to take priority.

Many a night has been spent sitting and looking at it !!! ( my wife says I need to get a room ) !!!

:lol :thumbsup

Since my own activities with regards to the VR are limited to collecting parts, I should have plenty of time to either wait for Marc to come through with a VR or buy one of this standard ROTJ helmets, when the time has come :cool

Again...congrats!

p.s.:
Would love to see some side by side comparsions of your ROTJ facemask to the screenused VR (cheecks, tubes, nose, mouth vents etc.) :)

Last edited:
:lol :thumbsup

Since my own activities with regards to the VR are limited to collecting parts, I should have plenty of time to either wait for Marc to come through with a VR or buy one of this standard ROTJ helmets, when the time has come :cool

Again...congrats!

p.s.:
Would love to see some side by side comparsions of your ROTJ facemask to the screenused VR (cheecks, tubes, nose, mouth vents etc.) :)
PM sent

I will post some comparison pics shortly of my first bought helmet that I will be ripping apart to rebuild, but it is really not a pretty sight ( I have a lot of work to do on it ) I might start a separate rebuild thread on this task alone, as I don’t want to be thought of a re-caster :lol then all the evidence will be documented, but trust me it still won’t be anywhere near as good as Marks

something in my gut is telling not to bother trying to rebuild the old helmet I bought 5 years (on a whim) (compulsive buy) but it takes a lot for me to say no ( god loves a trier)

454B5CF9-EC0F-4A81-A26E-A7C21B89E847.jpeg6A1D139A-022B-4AE5-B885-059CC03E7C7D.jpegFBCB82F6-90ED-4579-B0DC-10564371030E.jpeg1BD06920-4783-4E1D-B04B-B4D4E7101F52.jpegC6EB7BA3-7765-430E-9926-5462888D6736.jpeg
Ha ha ha I hear you laugh !!!! It’s nowhere near !!! I know I know I’m laughing with you and crying inside :lol:cry
I’m just glad I didn’t scale any of my existing and upcoming reveal parts from this piece of SHog dIT !!
The old one I mean not the beautiful new one ( phew)

Last edited:
Hey gang,

I figured this was as good a place as any to post this as it seems to be relevant to the discussion in this great build thread! I've recently been getting into 3D modelling and printing and thought I'd take a quick stab at the Glenross expansion screws. My only real reference was the photos that "gonk27" put up in post #300 of this thread that features both the large and small versions of the expansion screws next to a ruler. So my measurements are largely guesstimates from that, so they are going to be a little off, but once I printed it out for the first time, I really was surprised at just how tiny this thing is, and this is the "large" one. Am I way off here or does this seem to be about right? If anyone has some more detailed measurements they'd be willing to share, I can update my model and then make prints available for people if there is interest. I'd actually be up for trying to model and print a whole bunch of the Vader reveal parts, so I'm always open for any plans, details, or measurements people would like to share!

Glenross3Dprint1.jpg Glenross3Dprint2.jpg Glenross3Dprint3.jpg

Glenross3Dprint1.jpg

Glenross3Dprint2.jpg

Glenross3Dprint3.jpg

I am planning on adding the inset "GLENROSS" text to my model, although it would take some tests to get the scaling right so that it prints properly. The resolution of the 3D printer I'm using is the limiting factor, so it'll take some experimenting. Conceivably I could model the whole thing and then see about getting it printed on a higher-end machine...

But I wanted to make sure I was in the ball park with the basic dimensions of this thing before I get too far into the details! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back