Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

I've been to a little engineering shop today and had talks about having the nose/lip guard pressed / bent into shape should see what happens over the next couple of weeks image.jpg

Had a productive afternoon !! about 6 hours of painstaking, eye boggling, squinting work
from my 5th attempt of the face/fork linkage and pictures downloaded to auto cad I scaled the drawing using the copper Dynode as reference, I then placed I've a copy of my 5th attempt
and then altered the angles slightly and redrew the linkage, then I traced over the numbers 1-4 where the needed to be, and this is the final result so far !!!
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

Attempt 6 with numbers
IMG_0468.JPG

Printed number 6 for size check
IMG_0469.JPG

Attempt 5 over printed 6 (slight angle change )
IMG_0470.JPG

Last edited:
The next piece im going to have a closer look at today is what I'm calling the ( Pincers) if there is a more commonly known name please let me know so I can stay current with everybody
Question : is that looking like a number 4 on the sticking out tab ?
IMG_0479.PNG
IMG_0477.PNG

4 it is ... or otherwise it's a blob that resembles a 4 ... either way you've another job cut-out for you ... :lol

Chaïm

The next piece im going to have a closer look at today is what I'm calling the ( Pincers) if there is a more commonly known name please let me know so I can stay current with everybody
Question : is that looking like a number 4 on the sticking out tab ?

Hi Ben, yeah I also think that's a '4' but oddly I think without the middle triangle part of the number so it's really more just the outline of a '4'. I'm not sure how that could have happened on the original piece. I'll have to check again on this.

I don't know if there's a recognised name for these among builders, but I've always called them the 'crocodiles' (use a little imagination!) but Pincers is a good term :)

There were two of these on the Reveal originally but I'm so used to seeing the prop with one missing that I'll have to decide how many I include on mine.

Hi Ben, yeah I also think that's a '4' but oddly I think without the middle triangle part of the number so it's really more just the outline of a '4'. I'm not sure how that could have happened on the original piece. I'll have to check again on this.

I don't know if there's a recognised name for these among builders, but I've always called them the 'crocodiles' (use a little imagination!) but Pincers is a good term :)

There were two of these on the Reveal originally but I'm so used to seeing the prop with one missing that I'll have to decide how many I include on mine.

Hi Jeremy nice to hear from you again, same here regarding the 4, in two minds about what to do, have the shape 4 cut out and leave the rest to each individual builder to blob the middle or stamp the 4 and again leave it to each individual builder to get the desired look when painting or even a third mind !!! Get a 4 stamp and dremmel out the centre before stamping, trial and error at this stage.

As for the amount of pincers to put on, me personally I'm going down the screen accurate look not the old, bits fallen off over time look.

I don´t think its a "4".Only a defect from the metalcasting of this part that has the raw lines of a "4".

http://up.picr.de/29338833in.jpg
these linkages were stamped out not cast as the slight curvature of all the edges gives it away, if we could see a pic of the pincer on the other side and if it's a blank then it's a start, knowing that it's like the 1-4 linkage and flipped over when used

Ok so it looks like 4 but not a four ! so a stamp looking like a four should give me the screen look.

Also news on my ears !!! Drawing change again :wacko:facepalm I've noticed this little overhang I never even noticed
IMG_0485.PNG

My version is missing it !!! How did I miss it !! How did Kroenen77 miss this, it was right in front of us :facepalmThank lord Vader there not final cut !!!
IMG_0488.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
So its not really important what it is or how you made it..only the look is important.:lol
Oh and about the little overhang...I have it on my ears.;)

Just working on scaling the pincers and because of the curvature of the picture/mask I'm having a little trouble with the overall length, can someone please send me a pic of what you already have with a scale rule beside it.

IMG_0491.JPGIMG_0492.JPG

please please thank you
Ben

Update .....
scaled..... printed......rescaled.....printed.......and on and on and on.......
ended up with this little puppy, going to get it sent off for sample cutting and I will see how it looks with the other pieces, but my "laser cousin" is dragging his feet a little as he is busy looking for another house ( hope he doesn't want any plumbing work doing ) as I might drag my feet.
IMG_0500.JPGIMG_0502.JPG
The overall size came out at 46mm
image.jpg

Update
I've finally got back my redrawn brow and crown linkages, only a very slight difference to what they where, I'm much happier with these
take a look, tell me what you think as I'm going to send off to the photo etchers later this week for the LTRS brow linkage to be made and it should be the final and finished attempt as I feel these are bang on
IMG_0518.JPGIMG_0519.JPGIMG_0520.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back