Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Trap Joe I've just had a look at your Vader build to see what I have to aim for but cannot connect to any photos :thumbsdown do you still have any photos you could share with me and other members reading my build ?
My appreciation as always

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse the roughness of this test piece but it's just a first attempt, not as neat and tidy as it's going to be but I just wanted to see if my idea had any weight behind it !!

First a piece of canvas cloth and a wooden dowel shaped to approx size, the cloth was marked up with lines for the wire, the wooden dowel was wrapped in packing tape so not create an adhesive surface.
IMG_0263.JPG

The cloth was then wrapped around the dowel and stapled to keep in place, they will be remove at a later stage.
IMG_0264.JPGIMG_0265.JPG

The wire (very stiff suspended ceiling wire )was then wrapped around the dowel following the lines ( ish )
IMG_0266.JPG

Now that it's wrapped I've straightened up and spaced them out, please remember this is just a test piece so accuracy is not my main concern, I've now started to coat it in a very very thinned out latex solution, I will give it a few coats to adhere the wire to the cloth, more pics and progress tomorrow

IMG_0267.JPG
Please remember just a test piece

Last edited:
Update on the grey pipes
please don't be disappointed with the results that you see !! I'm not at all, in fact I'm very encouraged by what came out after only a couple of hours work
I removed the inner wooden dowel after only a couple of thin layers of latex and 80% of the wire had adhered to the cloth and because of the wrapped wire around the dowel it had caused it to twist like a spring, so I now know the wires need to be cut into individual rings

IMG_0277.JPGIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0275.JPG

I gave it it a coat of primer just for a coloured look and gave it a quick bend, as you can see it has some sort of similarity to what we are looking for and you can still see the cloth pattern effect as the original ( maybe I need a tighter more heavier canvas )
IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0280.JPGIMG_0283.JPG
Next test piece will have thinner wire, all cut and bent individually the stiff wire I used was 1.9mm ( to big for the correct scale ) but it was quite ridged, next test will be 1.5mm copper wire, softer, more workable and I can solder the ends together for more rigidity
the cloth will be covered in a layer of thin latex before it's put on the Woden dowel for easier removal later, I will also hand paint or spray the whole thing with a rubber based paint, 1. so you don't see to much weave from the cloth and 2. To give it much more rigidly when it's bent

im happy with the failed results as they are positive results in my mind, I'm sure this can be achieved

Looks good..but you must find a way to attach the fins permanent on the cloth if its bended.
I pulled an old one apart a couple of weeks ago at one of my cousins work shops/ garages ( to big to use ) and it was only held together with rubber thats what gave me the idea on the original one, but I will get there

Next test piece will have thinner wire, all cut and bent individually the stiff wire I used was 1.9mm ( to big for the correct scale ) but it was quite ridged, next test will be 1.5mm copper wire, softer, more workable and I can solder the ends together for more rigidity

Back when I was a lad, there used to be plastic covered electrical wires used for connecting a blasting detonator to the charge. These were quite flexible, but held their shape rather well when first bent into shape. I think copper will work better than steel for the tubes.

Back when I was a lad, there used to be plastic covered electrical wires used for connecting a blasting detonator to the charge. These were quite flexible, but held their shape rather well when first bent into shape. I think copper will work better than steel for the tubes.

Thanks F/F I will try again later this week

Did you manage to measure your set Markus?

Hi Ben, sorry but no :(

Only had the chance to dive into all the boxes in my workshop last night after "mini me" went to bed. Seems like I put all resin parts for my VR build into another box than all the metal stuff I have been collecting over the years, but could not find those damn resin-parts anywhere. Have two spots in my cellar, that I haven´t checked as of yet...maybe later tonight.

Hi Ben, sorry but no :(

Only had the chance to dive into all the boxes in my workshop last night after "mini me" went to bed. Seems like I put all resin parts for my VR build into another box than all the metal stuff I have been collecting over the years, but could not find those damn resin-parts anywhere. Have two spots in my cellar, that I haven´t checked as of yet...maybe later tonight.
hi Markus
if it's to much trouble please don't put yourself out it's not a problem at all, as and when it's totally convenient for you, I've plenty of time with R n D on this item anyway, I'm also waiting for trap joe so it's really not a rush don't ransack your cellar just for me

photo etched parts due in on Friday can't wait :D

hi Markus
if it's to much trouble please don't put yourself out it's not a problem at all, as and when it's totally convenient for you, I've plenty of time with R n D on this item anyway, I'm also waiting for trap joe so it's really not a rush don't ransack your cellar just for me

photo etched parts due in on Friday can't wait :D

no trouble at all Ben!
It just takes more time, thanks to my real life schedule and the my storage room(S!) still not being organized :lol

I've asked and asked closest I've got with about 6 same answers is from vintage car mechanics AIR INTAKE PIPE off an old classic car and they have all said the same it was probably round and flattened for the prop

Perhaps I should pop the hood of my 1990 Volvo 340 GL ... it's considered a 'classic' already can you believe it ... and they did use some Volvo parts for Han Solo in Carbonite ... though I have been said mine isn't vintage enough :cry

Chaïm

They would be 3/4" diameter if memory serves correctly (it was a long time ago I researched these). Isn't that a bit small for a car's air intake? Also the bright teal/turquoise green color would be an odd choice unless it matched the color of the car.

I didn't know the size of the pipes when I asked the question, could be correct there Markus, need to keep looking, but are we looking for a round pipe to be flattened or a pipe already this shape?
im still working on the home build pipe, I might get the correct look

Oh my !!!!
photo etched parts are back
the new vocoder wire
IMG_0330.JPG
The new brow linkage with LTRS etched ( nice )
IMG_0331.JPG
Both brow linkages together, need to get some LH side ones cut now
IMG_0332.JPG
Had them cut in brass a bit cheaper and they are being painted

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back