Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

Yeah I just re-used my gaskets with the intent of getting some new ones eventually and swapping them out.. that exhaust came off waaaaay easier than it went back on.. your running a stock tire so wont have the issues with fitment.. I had to do a kick stand aerial with a friend to get them back in the frame, then fought with them for quite awhile to get them in the right place!

haha, I remember having to fight with my exhaust on my Dyna, the thing would not sit right! No one has gaskets in stock! Closest Honda with them is in San diego. I'm having them shipped should be here by Friday. Now I gotta figure out how to make the exhaust tips. (no welding capabilities here) :facepalm

Loose measurement on that end where it was cut was right at about 4".. may be able to find something that's a direct fit OR find someone that can do that sort of thing.. it'd be fairly easy to fab up a cap of sorts!

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mz0ae9l84k1bem/Video%20Aug%2025%2C%202%2019%2004%20AM.mov?dl=0[/video]

should be messing around buttoning up exhaust this weekend! Was looking at steel speaker grills lol..

finally got her running!! Still need to bleed the brakes and get the rear brakes adjusted.. Clean up the wiring harness and get the tank back on.. Couple small things to wrap up but damn it's nice to hear her fire! Oh! Definitely make note of coil wire position.. she wouldn't turn over at all at first and I thought I hosed up a splice then realized I should check the coil wiring.. First crank and she's purring!!

Tried to upload a video but this site wants a web link only?!

Last edited:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mz0ae9l84k1bem/Video Aug 25, 2 19 04 AM.mov?dl=0

should be messing around buttoning up exhaust this weekend! Was looking at steel speaker grills lol..

finally got her running!! Still need to bleed the brakes and get the rear brakes adjusted.. Clean up the wiring harness and get the tank back on.. Couple small things to wrap up but damn it's nice to hear her fire! Oh! Definitely make note of coil wire position.. she wouldn't turn over at all at first and I thought I hosed up a splice then realized I should check the coil wiring.. First crank and she's purring!!

Tried to upload a video but this site wants a web link only?!

Sounds amazing!!! My stock exhaust sounds like a blow dryer! Can't wait to mount mine and hear the roar!!! Good work pal!

Plan on making 4-6 inch baffles this weekend out of some Harley inserts a buddy gave me, re-using the black portions of the stock exhaust that was cut off for the rear mount at the punchscreen. Probably just going to plate it at the front and weld on a stainless washer.. have no idea what it will do to the sound but it should definitely get some of the back pressure back.. I think the entry from the front is about 1" and it'll open to a 2" insert surround with steel wool

Had a busy last couple of days! managed to get the electrical harness squared away so that the tank would clear it all.. Spent awhile chasing a problem with the blinker lines.. Then stock valve cover gasket decided to start spewing oil but got it taken off and coated with little RTV and seems to have sealed up..

Cruised to Seattle today and on the way back home my seat called and said seat was ready... was really worried about that.. he did kinda bum me out in that he left very little room to attach the leather to the pan but I was able to remove the layer of plaster I'd placed around the pan edge and it fit a little better.. Its not spot on exact but happy with the results..

All I have left is a couple little pieces and the exhaust baffles and i'll be good to go.. should get those the next day or two.. The bike definitely draws attention.. it's funny watching people check it out.. totally digging it!

unspecifiedRTHNKHA9.jpgunspecifiedSTUGAKAH.jpgunspecifiedYOHHFMUE.jpgunspecifiedRXSW1NSI.jpg

Going to button up some of the little things and mount up the bow and take it for a little cruise tomorrow

Have decided I'm going to make the left shifter rod and the right brake foot controls a little bit longer just to give my feet some room.... Bike is actually pretty docile on the street but where it is REALLY fun is in the dirt!

Here's another video link to the open pipes.. Didn't get a chance to get the actual baffles done today but have a plan devised...

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/umd688hofzoimke/Video%20Aug%2026%2C%207%2030%2048%20PM.mov?dl=0[/video]

unspecifiedLZ0NGY2M.jpg

Last edited:
Ragtop, I tip my hat to you sir. Looks fantastic. Mind passing me the info of the guy who did your seat? I may be sending mine to him.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No problemo! Thanks for the compliments.. I had no idea out much work this actually is to do something like this.. I'm glad I can finally get to a point where I can enjoy it!

Cat that did the seat works at an upholstery shop in Anacortes.. He'd have done it for $100 bucks but I gave him $150 because it was as closely detailed as it was.. the only thing I'd have redone is the tubing he used to separate the panels was a little larger and the stitching across the pleats isn't correct.... I'll probably have him give me another one when the weather turns.. something much more detailed..

You get close to having that pan finalized ya let me know and we'll get er done!

I say leave the exhaust open! Love how mind sounds now. I'm doing the same with the end caps. My first ring I made was a little short. It's just a hair over 4". I'm gonna have to buy a welder....

Managed to make some progress before work on the baffles, have to say it definitely quieted the bike down a bit, sounds more like a Honda now but definitely got some torque back in 1st and 2nd gear.. Haven't done a flat out highway test yet due to the rain that decided to show up today but hoping it has the right amount.. I can block off the nose easily enough or completely open if it need be, going to tac in some nuts on the inside frame to hold it all together manana!

unspecified4SXXFNXC.jpgunspecifiedMPXORCP2.jpgunspecifiedV2874V5L.jpg

Picked up the walking bike's evil cousin this weekend.. a '54 Harley service car.. not sure about a power plant.. hopefully a cb750 or 650 if the 750 motor is too big.. going to go the same route.. Black anodized R6/R1 front end and kenda big blocks :)

14225509_10207232274745389_5484812751076594079_n.jpg14212750_10207241553937363_8173695439025790755_n.jpg

UPDATES!! Finally!

Funny story, I was stripping down the frame and prepping it for paint, when someone pulls up in my driveway. I have no clue who this person is, but I recognize the car from the neighborhood. Turns out the guy just moved here and him and his wife see me working on the bike sometimes, he just finally stopped by to say hi. Long story short, he offered me the use of his "paint booth" and he lives literally right around the corner.

So I continued stripping and grinding, when I noticed something....my bike is trying to talk to me. I dont know if this was something done at the factory or a previous owner. The F looks stamped, but the U looks carved. Either way, made me smile.

FB_IMG_1473012806826.jpg

Once the frame was prepped, I took it over to the "paint booth". Pretty decent place for painting, a 10'x20' shed with ventilation. So we strung her up and began shooting it with the bedliner.

20160905_130747.jpg

After the frame, I shot the wheels. Ended up using a glossy black plastidip like spray made by Rustoleum. I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it turned out. I may go powder coating in the future, perhaps at the next tire change.

20160905_152717.jpg

After 2 days of baking in the shed, I must say I could not be happier with the result.

FB_IMG_1473201101622.jpg

20160906_183231.jpg

20160906_183227.jpg

From here, I just need to paint the engine, get it reinstalled, and then just reassemble everything.

Only things left for fabricating are the fenders, the crossbow shelf (which I cant finish without the crossbow), the exhaust end caps, and the little decorative piece next to the kickstarter. Then I just have to wire her up, top off the fluids, and enjoy!

Progress from this weekend.

Got the motor back in. As I learned taking it out, it is FAR EASIER to lay the bike on it's side and pull the frame off the motor. So installation was the reverse, laid the motor down, dropped the frame on top, bolted it in and flipped it upright. Probably took all of 5 minutes.

20160911_125349.jpg

Fork, swing arm, and rear suspension on

20160911_143816.jpg

And now I have a roller.

20160911_161048.jpg

It looks like I may need to get the wheels repainted sooner than I thought. The plastidip is starting to bubble in certain spots on the rear wheel. I may be able to repair it for the time being, but I will most likely take them to get powder coated in the next few months.

Good to see some progress! She's coming along! I made a monumental goof, I ran the crankcase tubing without the Y (one leg to filtered air) and couldn't for the life of me figure why I was squirting oil here and there.. figured it out and so far there isn't anymore pouring out! I used a small prop filter for an EP3-E aircraft with some misc hardware.. seems to have done the trick! Been out playing with the bike and taking snaps! Still hunting parts for the Harley, it's getting my spare CB750 motor this next weekend :)

wdaa.JPGwdab.JPGwdac.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back