T-16 Skyhopper

Yeah, you can break it when I bring it in November.

Kits will be available as soon as those BSG Turret kits are done, :devil

Jason, off topic, please PM me with a recommended area to stay in when I visit Tokyo in August or September. Where will I maximize my chances of running across kits needed for SS building?

No need to PM - this is good info for anyone on this forum!

;)

We usually fly into Narita, and stay at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel. It's Western friendly/easy, you can get a bus from the airport where they take care of your luggage (it's about an hour bus ride) and it is literally across the street from the JR Rail/Yamanote Line. From the Yamanote you can get just about everywhere you need to (it's like the beltway!).

Model shops - you can, from the Yamanote, stop off in Akihabara. Hit the "Radio Tower" right outside the train entrance. I have gotten Karls and Leopolds there for $8 a pop. No horse****, Jack? No horse****, Wang.

Also look for "Leonardo" in Akihabara - it's near "Miniature Park" if I am remembering correctly. KILLER multi story out of production kits.

No, you will need to walk a little more for the next place, and it's not in Akihabara, but in Nakano (or Nakano-Sakaue). It's in the "Nakano Broadway" building, and the shop is called "Mandarake". Got 1/12th Tamiya F1 donors for $32 there one time.

HAVE FUN!

That is exactly what I do!! LOL

I nest the clothes one in an empty one - one checked bag on the way out, two on the way back!

This was one year's haul, lol. The bag was just shy of 50 pounds.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.18.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.19.42 PM.png

Another year's haul:

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.20.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.20.32 PM.png

When I went there in 2002 for TamiyaCon, I had to - literally - throw away some of my clothing AND snag a box and some duct tape from Tamiya to fit all the crap I bought. Who needs dirty underwear when you can transport styrene?!?

gene

I can fit my 5 day trip in a carry on, honestly. That leaves an empty medium suitcase inside an empty large suitcase for check in. Crap! I can't wait!

Jason, I'm wondering if you found the maquette stand that was used on the T-16. I don't have to know what it was but would like to know if I should start making an effort to custom build a replica of it or keep searching.

Pretty close! This is the fifth time I have built it - once in card stock, once in foam core... and then I got the accurate measurements and had a good laugh about how off I was on some of them: the main sail I was bang-on in one dimension and crazy-off on another. The side "Griffon Panels" I nailed, and the back triangular base was not changed much from what Ed Minto drafted first. I was close on the two side wings at the tops and then it was guesswork on length of course. So armed with measurements, we set to work.

Craig drafted things in 3d to see how it all worked together, and I made parts in lasercut acrylic - built two of these that I wasn't happy with for one reason or another. Third one (this one) has a few SUPER minor quibbles but it's DARN close to the real one! Got the little pilots into position now!

3642713561_b0aed31d23_o.jpg

Good. At it until it is right! Did you end up making he wings symmetrical or did you leave one longer than the other?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back