Jumanji Board - 3D Printed

Hi, I'm Blake.
here are my tokens on SketchUp 2017

Having been really busy the last few months, there hasn't been much work done on the Jumanji board other than completely remodelling it from scratch to make it even more accurate than it was before! While I'm working with xkuco on making up some wooden ones and resin ones to sell as kits, I'm still making an entirely 3D printed one.

Here is the print of the front two plates:
View attachment 739704

Printed on the Raise N2 Plus, these took 80 hours each, and I'm not happy with them yet, so I'm planning on reprinting these even slower on the Craftbot XL which is currently printing the play area plate and only has about 70 hours until done.

Now because the trailer released today and I figured people would want to get their hands on their own, I've put up a slightly crushed version of my original files for anyone wanting to have a base to sculpt on or make for cosplays.

I'm still not sure what to do with the files as they have now over 1000 hours work into them, and I'm incredibly happy that what I've got now is significantly more accurate to the original film than the new films prop is!

Thank you so much for posting the stl files. I went to go print these at shapeways and they wanted $4000 for the whole board. If i cut this so I could just use the top and print it at my local library on their MakerBot Replicator 2, how much do you think it would cost if they charge $0.10 per gram of material?

great work by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have the board pre-sliced into sections on thingiverse, and having run it through Makerbot print, you'd be easily looking at $150-$200 I think to have your library print it up, which they might not want to do, as each piece would take over a day to print.

It's a very big piece, I'm afraid no matter who you get to print it for you, it'll cost a bit.

Ok got it. I sliced the top to .346 of an inch thick and then sliced it into 8 pieces. I've never 3d printed before but thought I could potentially print them thin and in pieces then put them together after they all print. Is it possible the way it looks from the photo?
Screenshot_20170803-220758.png

I finally get my household goods from my korea move back to the states on Thursday!!! First thing on my agenda is starting the jumanji board !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So an update: Audrey2 sent me a cast from a collector that saw our project and decided to donate. These are going to be inserted into the CNC lids that I make out of was we are thinking is walnut, might choose a darker walnut just so that we don't have to paint the wood and it has a more natural feel.
eb57f96d4bffcc1c3c8dcdf5cb51a6f8.jpg

c89ae7e44837ee66500bedf35c3e2cc5.jpg

Once gain sorry it has taken so long for this project but I promise once audrey2 and I are done with this project it will be super accurate. To include a screen in the middle with video riddles

Steam no not immediately there are a lot of factors that we need to consider if we do sell it. I'm sorry. And if we do it will be cast resin versions not wooden ones.

Hey Audrey2, I'd like to thank you for your project, because it finally convinced me to start working on my 3D printed Jumanji board as well. Your fantastic plans and your Thingiverse version of the lid will be my main sources. I'm planning to print this at about half scale, to work as a box for the Blu-ray of the movie. I guess I'll have to make some modifications to make this work, mainly putting the playing field lower into the box, as well as lifting the four starting spaces of the game board up, to be at the same height (or slightly higher) than the center dome, so that the Blu-ray case isn't supported solely by the dome.

You can see my current state in the attached images.

Since your plans of the box are probably the most detailed ones, I have a few questions:

1. Are the 9mm high feet of the box any indication that the front relief is supposed to protrude by 9mm from the lid as well? So that the relief basically acts as the lid's "feet" once the box is opened?

2. What exactly is the hinge mechanism on the game piece compartments? I've seen people using just regular hinges on the edge of the divider under the lid, but judging by the pin hinges of the main box lids, this somehow doesn't fit the style.

Thanks again for this fantastic project!

Attachments

• j_open.jpg
    j_open.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 282
  • j_closed.jpg
    j_closed.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 290
  • j_field.jpg
    j_field.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
2. What exactly is the hinge mechanism on the game piece compartments? I've seen people using just regular hinges on the edge of the divider under the lid, but judging by the pin hinges of the main box lids, this somehow doesn't fit the style.

This is a shot from the DVD I have, it's the only time in the movie that I can think of (off the top of my head) that shows the game from this angle. It's from when Judy rolls the dice after the 'afraid' speech Alan gives.

compartment hinges.png

Unfortunately it doesn't make for a very clear screenshot due to the focus centering in on the dice.

EDIT: I wanted to add, not trying to be picky, but the decorative indent on the outside "half-pipes" on the lids doesn't extend all the way up. Here is an image from when Joe Johnston was selling the foam board. -- http://www.trbimg.com/img-52e2cca6/...-prop-used-in-movie-on-eba-001/1600/1600x1200

Mh, you're right, that screenshot isn't very clear. It does look like two pins, but they don't seem to extend all the way into the side walls. But that might just be a shadowing problem. I think two pins glued under the lid, with two holes in the side walls might get close enough. Thanks for the image!

And I will fix the half-pipe carving... looks like it needs to be a bit more rounded as well, and then just blend into the edge before it reaches the top. Good info :)

EDIT: Fixed! (see the attached image)

Attachments

• j_b.jpg
    j_b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 675
Last edited:
I'm pretty interested in the mini version. If and when you put them into production, what do you estimate the cost will be for a fully painted, finished mini-Jumanji?

Oh, I don't think I'm going to mass produce and sell them. I plan on uploading the finished 3D files once I'm done though. I don't have a 3D printer yet (I want to get a Prusa MK3 in the next few months), so figuring out if and how well this prints will be a whole big experiment in its own right.

By the way, right now I'm modelling the thing at Audrey2's full-scale measurements. It will be shrunk down once I send the parts to the printer.

Last edited:

There are some pictures from my archive. And it seems like on the wooden hero board they used regular metal hinges and the divider under the lid was flat. I think white pieces on the movie shot are just parts of metal hinges that look like pins because they're not in focus. But on the top left picture of SFX foam version of the board it looks like the divider is not flat and has an extrusion that represents the hinge. It may be result of foam casting though. Who knows)

jumanji-hinges.jpg
jumanji-hinges.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for these! Incidentally, just yesterday I took a screenshot (actually two, retouched together to get look at both hinges) from the UHD version of the same lower center shot you posted:

j4k.jpg

That's freaking awesome!
There are a few minor details to clean up which I'll post in your other thread. Seriously, an incredible board, and I can't wait to see it once you've printed it all up! You've really captured the vibe of the board!

Hey Laserchwert, I am actually working on making my own Board and I've already taken the Game cover Audrey2 made. I honestly just made an account to ask if I could maybe get a copy of that 3D-model and try slicing it . see if it will fit on my Mono-price Maker Select. If you want to charge for it, that's fine as well

Right now I am not sharing my 3D model yet. I am sharing it with one member on here who is helping me print it, and helping me figure out how to have it print well. I want to finish it before sharing it with the public (probably charging for it, yeah, I've already put a lot of work into it - though I don't know what the ethics around here are regarding that).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back