Jumanji Board - 3D Printed

Jumanji is on today 11;00am on Freeform (use to be ABC family, never noticed the change in name) ill be thinking of this build thread while watching!

...Justy, what method were you thinking to animate the letters with? I used a shatter effect with a custom pattern, with everything in the physics tuned to "floaty" then reversed, using an overlay gradient on the letters to get them to fade in, then blurring that using a luminance based blur. Which is okay, but it means the letters sort of "thud" into place, which is something I can't really fix. Any ideas?

I had been doing text expressions toying with per character 3d. That gave me plenty of control and allowed it to be easily applied to a bunch of them without hand animating every single one. I'll post a video when I can, I'll have to dust off that old project file haha. I agree on adding the extra riddles from the board game, I made a list a while back, I'll post those as well.

Ah rightio, that's what I ended up playing with last night. Better animation came from it, but I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing with that area, and I might just end up making a custom damaged lithos font to get the look accurate to the board. I'll upload the new version tonight.

I just dug this from the depths of my harddrives. This is the animation test for the Jumanji riddles in After Effects. I rendered it out side by side with the movie for comparison.

https://youtu.be/XQM09pzM50I

I think it can still use a little work but it's a start. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think it looks amazing, but it might need some more waviness overall.

What do you plan on doing with the animated riddles, Audrey2?

Last edited:
I agree, a bit more distortion is needed. I may also brighten them up so it will pop on a screen more, it'll need some testing though.
I have been building a board in my spare time, nothing as awesome as the stuff you guys have going here, I wanted to build a screen into it but the animations were as far as I got. Some day I'll get my hands on a nice board:D to go along with the videos.

Looks great!
I'll upload my V2 when it's ready. I'm currently making a damaged font from scratch to match the film one, and should hopefully finish that in the next day or two.

Alright so here is my version two of the animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFP2DxInouc&feature=youtu.be

Done with a custom font that I drew up, which ended up being a bit thin, so when bumped up we lost out on half the detail that I put in, but I'm happy with how it turned out anyway. To make a new animation, all I have to do is change the text (double click>change text>render), so I am happy that I can churn out a huge collection of them very quickly.

Done with a custom font that I drew up, which ended up being a bit thin, so when bumped up we lost out on half the detail that I put in, but I'm happy with how it turned out anyway. To make a new animation, all I have to do is change the text (double click>change text>render), so I am happy that I can churn out a huge collection of them very quickly.

Looks perfect to me :p

That turned out much smoother, nice work:) Was it the text expressions that did the trick? I'd love to see what your custom font looked like, pre-extend edges, that's a cool idea.

I'll happily PM you the font if you want?
It was all done with text animation using the wiggly and range selectors. The only expressions used were "time*60" and the like to give the letters a bit of movement without having animated wiggles, because that made the motion look a little juddered, which is what I was trying to avoid at all costs.

I also dug out my old board game of Jumanji, with the intention of adding the extra clues from that to my board. They include some double ups/almost the same as the movie ones. They are as follows:

You better watch
Just where you stand;
The floor is quicker
Than quicksand.

They march and eat
And march and eat.
If I were you
I'd watch my feet.

Don't stop the game
You realize.
Or one of you
May vaporize!

Enormous and yellow
These flowers grew;
Their flesh-eating blossoms
Are hungry for you!

With six-foot wingspan,
Sound of swish;
It thinks the gameboard
Is a fish.

Don't be fooled,
It isn't thunder;
Staying put would
Be a blunder.

You're almost there,
With much at stake;
But now the ground
Begins to shake.

At night they fly,
You better run.
These winged things
Are not much fun.

Need a hand?
Why you just wait;
We'll help you out
We each have eight.

When you see it
You will shake;
It's big and green
And rhymes with lake.

Raging and howling
A gale throws its might;
Hold on for dear life
Or be blown out o'sight.

Hush now! Just listen.
No complains, no more gripes.
The power belongs
To the beasts with the stripes.

Crawling and slithering
Up from the flood
Come thousands of leeches
To suck your blood.

Raging waters
Ebb and flow;
Beware piranhas
Down below.

Every month
At the quarter moon,
There is a monsoon
In your lagoon.

A hunter from
The darkest wild;
Makes you feel
Just like a child.

Like a great white shark
Down the Nile;
Before the 25-foot
Crocodile.

Splintered rafters
All around;
Duck them or
They'll pin you down.

An angry sky hurls
Bolts of light;
If you can't take cover,
You'd better take flight.

Big as fists
The balls of ice;
Through umbrellas
They will slice.

His fangs are sharp
He likes your taste;
Your party better
Move posthaste.

A cavernouse yawn
With tusks of course,
Be sure to skirt
This river horse.

Their boisterous laughing
Does provoke;
In this adventure
They are no joke.

THey grow much faster
Than bamboo;
Take care of they'll
Come after you.

Feline spots
In the jungle blend;
Be cautious of her
She's not your friend.

Elephants charging!
You must confess,
A freight train's damage
Would be far less.

These purple lovelies
You'd want to grow,
If it weren't for the
Poison barbs they throw.

This will not be
An easy mission;
Mokneys slow
The expedition.

A tiny bite
Can make you itch,
Make you sneese,
Make you twitch.

Jungle plage germs
There's a medley,
You can't see them
But they're deadly.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back