Proper Buttons for Rocketeer Jacket?

TimeyWimey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I got a Rocketeer jacket from South Beach Leather a few years ago, and it has served me well. The collar is a little too big, but I've been dealing with that -otherwise, it's pretty accurate and well-made. Except:

The one thing that's driving me crazy are the buttons. They're basically metal hemispheres, sometimes difficult to get through their button holes, and I always seem to end up with a sore spot under my thumbnail from the sharp bottom edges. My thumb still hurts from Free Comic Book Day the day before yesterday.

Does anybody here have a good suggestion for replacement buttons that are the right size, look reasonably correct, are durable?

I have the same jacket and have toyed with the idea of making my own, so I am very interested to see what anyone has to suggest.

I have the same jacket and have toyed with the idea of making my own, so I am very interested to see what anyone has to suggest.

I don't know if yours has the same buttons, but mine are very painful. I always end up pulling a nail loose trying to get them through all the holes. I found some buttons a while back that look like they're close to the right design, but they're plastic (so I'm not sure they're sturdy enough) and they're bright gold, so I'd have to paint them a brass color and dirty them down. I'd much rather have actual brass.

People making/selling headstones might be able to help you (some headstones have brass designs, like leafs, statue, etc)...you could try that avenue.

I have the capability to cast in pewter, I just need to get a button to cast done. I may either try to 3D print one or sculpt one, but I need to finish other parts to my Rocketeer costume first.

I posted this on another thread yesterday for Rocketeer buttons. I was looking for the proper buttons since I built my jacket in 1991 and finally found almost perfect replacements. C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Metal Rimmed buttons, polished gold, size 36, on Amazon.

I posted this on another thread yesterday for Rocketeer buttons. I was looking for the proper buttons since I built my jacket in 1991 and finally found almost perfect replacements. C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Metal Rimmed buttons, polished gold, size 36, on Amazon.

Ooh. Thanks, I just ordered some, they do look a lot like the proper buttons (and they're very inexpensive). I'll report back if they work well with my jacket and the size of its button holes.

You're quite welcome. I like the way the C&C buttons look much better than the domed ones I had to use back then. When looking closely at several movie stills, one other thing I also noticed when I got around to putting the cuffs, side and shoulder straps on my jacket is that the shoulder straps use snaps, not buttons. I've never looked at the commercially produced jackets that much to see what they used, but I suspect they used buttons instead of snaps.

To anyone that has found this post through a search engine: Most or all of the dozens of websites currently offering the C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Metal Rimmed buttons are apparently scam sites. The C&C Metal Products Corp. may no longer be in business, as I have been unable to reach them for months. Pay very close attention to the security certificates and launch dates of any sites currently offering this item. Pay through Paypal or a service that can answer a fraud claim if you can.

Just happened back by this thread. The C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Metal Rimmed buttons are still on Amazon but I only found them in Silver right now. I suppose you could paint them shiny gold.

It's seems very close to the buttons used on the jacket. You know how costume designers are: "First, let's raid the Disney Costume Dept. to see if they have buttons we could use...oh, wait, are those the old marching band's uniform over there?";)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back