Best way to finish 3d kit?

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All
recently a freind of mine bought a 3d printer. As a gift he found a Blade Runner PKD and printed it for me. It has a moveable cylinder and real bolt action. I know all 3d printers show lines some less than others. Whats the best way to smooth it all so the lines dont show? Wet sand and glazing putty? Any advice?

I use filler primer spray paint. It takes a few passes of sanding+spraying but in the end it looks indistinguishable from a resin cast. I know some people prefer using XTC 3D, but the issue I have with that is it can sometimes take multiple coats to get really smooth after sanding and sometimes the 3D printed object, depending on what it is, can lose definition (also its a bit messier).

I am currently working on a 3D printed Ghost Trap, and even though most of the pieces I am working with are flat, I am going over the pieces with Bondo spot putty, sanding that, then hitting it with a coat or two of filler primer. Having finished a pieces yet, but that is what was recommended to me

Thanks for the advice. Wet sanding wit 320 applying red spot putty, wet sanding that wit 400 then hitting it with primer. post pics when I get time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back