CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod "FINISHED"

CAPTAINCOX

Sr Member
​Hi Guys

I thought I take a break from modeling after I finished the JAAKS Pacific R2-D2 but I guess I couldn't.
Bought a Hasbro Slave 1 on eBay like a year or so ago and its been sitting in the basement since then, I also got a FM Slave 1 kit that I saved for a rainy day but it will now come in handy as a reference.

The biggest challenge will be that paint job, but there is enough good builds out there that one can check out for tips and tricks (Fichtenfoo is one of them).

IMG_3150.jpg
Out of the box

IMG_3151.jpg
For a Toy the over all detail and quality aint bad at all.
I did a comparison measurement to the 1/72 Scale FM Slave 1 and it sorta boils down to 1/46 or 1/45 Scale
As I will scratch build the Cockpit its sorta important when doing the upsizing from the FM.

IMG_3152.jpg
Also got me a Wizard of the Coast Boba Fett Figure. When I did my Falcon I also used some WOC Figures and they measured 1/48
Its a tick smaller then it should be but what the heck.

IMG_3154.jpg
The Scale is sort a right...

Slave_I_Bespin.jpg
Compared...not spot on but it will do as I am to lazy to sculpt a new Boba in 1/46 Scale.

IMG_3159.jpg
Taking it a part was super easy as its just screwed together, no glue like some of the other Hasbro Toys.

IMG_3160.jpg
Comparing it to some reference pics out of the SW Chronicles the Hasbro is not to far away. Needs some detailing and add ons but I think
the final result will be ok.

IMG_3161.jpg
Same thing...needs a bit of detailing and bondo to close some of the hatch opening lines original designed for the Action figures when using it as a Toy.

IMG_3175.jpg
Started to work on the Cockpit using Styrene card and pipes and what have you.
Some kit bash parts from Tanks and Planes.
I based the design of the FM 1/72 Scale and some Ref Pics.

IMG_3174.jpg
Until now I haven't found any reference pics that completely shows the cockpit
so some of it is simply Artistic License I guess.
Will fit some LEDs but I won't overdo it. There are 4 1mm Fibers in a makeshift console and I will put in some
0.5 that will be flashing Red...I think I will stick to Red as its sorta menacing and Cool color and will fit the Slave :)
IMG_3173.jpg
The back wall will have some Optical fibers 4-6 Red Blinking.

IMG_3177.jpg
I also redid the top Canopy Cover as the one from the Original Toy is more like the Jango Fett Slave 1.
Actually I think this is the Jango Slave repainted. The Cockpit had that three seat configuration that Jango's Slave had.
Will fit a Red LED lighting up the Cockpit from above.
As this is work in progress please ignore some of the roughness...will bondo and sand some before applying primer :)

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-8952.jpg
Talking about Seat, I got a Resin Martin Baker Mk IV Ejection Seat and looking at this screen cap
it would not surprise me if thats what they used for this "only scene" of the Slave's Cockpit in ESB.
I mean the Martin Baker was also used in the Falcon so...anyhow it looks cool :)

Will Start on the Undersection/Passenger compartment Next.
So far a really fun build.

Cheers Guys.

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

Slave_I_Bespin.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-8952.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod

Nice job on that cockpit, Cap'n! Hurrah for being the first to jump in on the S1 conversion... I'm calling it 1/48 scale just because I'm stubborn.

R/ Robert

Thanks Guys!

Got some time to work on the Slave this week as I got a Week off.

Cockpit sort a done and Base Coated.
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3205.jpg
IMG_3207.jpg
IMG_3208.jpg

I tried to get is as Close to the Studio Model as Possible using different Sources of Ref Material. I also have loads of Pics that I took at Star Wars Identities in Cologne and Vienna that came in handy. Will go again as its just opened here in Munich :)

IMG_3217.jpg
IMG_3216.jpg

Still some needs some fitting and what have you but looks pretty ok.
Will fit one Red LED in the Top Canopy cover and one underneath the Pilot Console lightning up the Passenger Compartment.

IMG_3213.jpg
Also started on the Main Guns...not to bad BUT!!! I read in a thread here at The RPF that the main Kitbash Parts came from
Guns: Tamiya 1/35 Duster + Tamiya 1/35 Flakvierling
Cover (Wheel): Tamiya 1/20 Porsche 935 Turbo (not 100%, but they look pretty close)
Cover: Tamiya 1/20 JPS - it's the seat
Cover intake thingie: Tamiya 1/20 JPS - brake intakes

So I ordered those kits after checking some pic of Sprues online and the Duster and Flakvierling is a 100% hit.
I am still not sure about the Seat from the JPS...will see when I get the kits.
Ofcourse the Studio Model is a bit Bigger then the Hasbro Slave but I will for sure replace the Gun Barrels in the pic to the Duster ones those are spot on.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-20 um 11.27.52.png
Sprue from the M42 Duster kit..pretty spot on :)

Will start fitting all the parts on the Main body next, the fit and finish of those lose hatches and panels are pretty bad so I got me some backup tubes with bondo on the ready.

Cheers Guys.

Hi Guys

Small update on the Slave 1 build.

IMG_3220.JPG
Decided to do a clear cast of the Upper Aft Engine so got my casting stuff out of the basement (bought it last year for a project that never happened)
Mould Release Agent, 2 component Silicon and Clear 2 Component Resin.

IMG_3218.JPG
After applying the Release agent I simply masked of the engine and poured the Silicon in to the Aperture.

IMG_3219.JPG
I let it cure over night and just took it of this morning...looks pretty good :) considering that I last casted stuff way back in Auto Design School, we are talking 1991/92 :p
Will pour in the Clear Resin before going to work, needs a final cure Time of 48h.

IMG_0014.jpg
Also got me a Pair of Reflectors that are pretty close to the Engines from the Studio Model...one problem is that they are incapsulated in Glas...Not sure how I will get it off.
Might go gently with the Dremel to at least cut of the back part that holds the Halogen Lamps and replace them with LEDs later.

IMG_0011.jpg
Applied Car Paint Paint Promotor and a Automotive Primer...I hope this will prevent the Fup from my last build (R2-D2) where the paint was ripped of when masking.
Still some sanding and Bondo work to do but thats all part of the fun :)

Cheers Guys.

Had a hard run the last two weeks, As the two sides of the main body are mirrored (Starboard side is sort of ok) wich means that if one wants to make a model that sorta looks like the original Studio Model one will have to do ALOT of SANDING! and BONDO work :)

Also spent a lot of time checking ref pics and glueing greebles and Styrene strips.
Closing Panel Lines with Bondo and cuting new ones...fing up and doing it again :p
Modified the Main Guns using parts from the Tamiya 1/35 M42 Duster and Flak Vierling, looks pretty cool I think.

IMG_3331.JPGIMG_3335.JPGIMG_3333.JPGIMG_3329.JPG

After a light 2nd coat of Primer/Filler its starting to look sorta like the Original Studio Model...not 100% but I am pretty happy with the result so far.
Still need correct some panel lines that are wonky, hard to see that when you are working on a Patchy model with flecks of bondo, primer and original plastic color shining through, so the 2nd primer coat makes all those small mistakes visible. Oh well I guess I will sand and bondo some more ;)
IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpg

On the Port side I had to use some Artistic License as I could not find any Ref material...only pics of the mysterious Green Rectangle.
I was sure I had a pic from some older Star Wars Exhibitions...been sifting trough all my Ref Material but couldn't find it...maybe I dreamt it :)
IMG_2251.jpg

I really want to start working on the Engine Back Part soon as it will also need some scratch build parts and a fair amount of Greebles.

Cant wait to start the main challenge...PAINTING IT! Hell Yea!

Cheers Guys.

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That cockpit is stunning and you're making excellent progress on the body. Greeblies looking great and yes, the paint job seems like challenge alright. Keep up the great job!

Hi Guys

Got a question...does anyone here know from what kit this part comes?

SIB_0555 Kopie.jpg

Been looking all over and I can't ID it.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-29 um 06.20.54.png
Comparison to the Original ILM-Hasbro-where I am at the Moment.

As the Scale of the Hasbro Slave is about 1/48 I can't really use the original kit parts as they are to big, like the F5 Tiger II Under Fuselage 1/48 Monogram/Revell Kit(Scratch built it) and the Ferrari 312 Nose Tamiya 1/12, same thing. I have to use parts that looks sort a similar that are to the right scale of the Hasbro, so it will not be spot on but "look" like the Original...thats the Theory anyway :)

I tried to build those side greebles but I am not happy with the quality...I might give it another go but if some one knows from what kit they come it would help me a lot.

Cheers Guys

Last edited:

Part is from Hasegawa Morser Karl 1/72. Get that and the Leopold, lots of parts for SW models!!

Well done ! Great attention to details my man.....that's the key. It's definitely one of my favorite ships. I can't wait to see it finished.

Hi Guys

Got a question...does anyone here know from what kit this part comes?

<<PIX snipped>>

Been looking all over and I can't ID it.

<<pix snipped>>

Comparison to the Original ILM-Hasbro-where I am at the Moment.

As the Scale of the Hasbro Slave is about 1/48 I can't really use the original kit parts as they are to big, like the F5 Tiger II Under Fuselage 1/48 Monogram/Revell Kit(Scratch built it) and the Ferrari 312 Nose Tamiya 1/12, same thing. I have to use parts that looks sort a similar that are to the right scale of the Hasbro, so it will not be spot on but "look" like the Original...thats the Theory anyway :)

I tried to build those side greebles but I am not happy with the quality...I might give it another go but if some one knows from what kit they come it would help me a lot.

Cheers Guys

CC, have you calculated the size differential between the original ILM model and the Hasbro? Perhaps it is such that we'll get lucky & it will fall on standard (but smaller) kit scales, such.

R/ Robert

Sort of...
SCALE COMPARISON SLAVE 1 PARTS.jpg

I am not 100% sure what Scale the original ILM Model is...I measured the Hasbro to the FM 1/72 Slave 1 to 1/48-46...tricky but that is sorta right.
As you can see in the Pic above ILM used the 1/48 F5 (99% sure they did) and thats to big...I got the Italieri 1/72 and thats almost ok but a tick to small (only my opinion)...so lets say ILM used a part thats in 1/48 scale then the Hasbro would then need a part that is like 1/60-65 or something...again tricky. I think if you want to build a model that "Resembles" the Original ILM model you have to improvise...basically using parts that sort a looks like the Original or Scratch build them...only my 5 cents.

Lets see how that "Mörser Karl" part turns out, it will be to big to the Hasbro Scale but it might look ok after all...it will for sure save some time trying to scratch build something thats pretty complicated...can be done but :p

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

Yes, sounds like scratching might be the best bet, as you have done. As you have both the original donor part & your scratchbuilt version which seems to be an excellent match, why not measure the 'wingspan' of both for me. The ratio of those two values is the reduction value for everything on the Hasbro, which can then be applied as needed either to ID suitable replacement donor kits or to assist converting measurements from an original part to a scratch replacement.

Speaking of details, I find that I actually like some of the Hasbro detailing, such as the center "plate" between the two circular nozzles...

Regards, Robert

IMG_3415.jpg
My Scratch built F5 measures 70mm

IMG_3413.jpg
Revell F5 1/48 Scale measures 90mm

So lets see if I can sorta calculate the actual scale of the ILM Model based on this :p
This will not be 100% scientific but still sort a fun.

kg_slave1_back1_bearbeitet-1.jpg
Did a quick measurement in Photoshop using the original ILM Photo as a base (could be slightly off but thats what I have) scaled the pic using the 90mm from the Revel F5 as a base and got 160mm measuring from center to the outer body shell.

IMG_3417.jpg
Measured the Hasbro in sort of the same spot as I did in the ILM Photo and got 103mm

Sooo....presuming that the Hasbro is 1/48 scale (almost 100% sure) the Original Slave 1 from ILM is 1/31 scale what a weird scale :)
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-30 um 10.36.39.png

Maybe thorst have a more exact measurement, pretty sure he has as he did the photogrammetry from the REAL Slave 1.

Capt'n, I pulled that same 'thread' and using Thorten's dimensional determination for the skirt length (588mm), I calculated that the Hasbro is 70.73% the size of the original:
16.375inch/(588cm/2.54)inch = 0.70735

So, if an original donor part was 1/48 scale (like the F-5 underside) then a corresponding 'Hasbro-scale' donor would have to be at 48 / 0.71 or 1/67 scale. That isn't a standard scale for kits, so 1/48 is a 'bust' for downsized bits. 1/72 is 93% of the needed 'size' and so might work in some instances, however in many applications - as you found - even that 7% difference *at that size* is quite noticeable.

For other standard scales (the smaller the scale the less the differential impacts the physical size difference):
Reduction to 71%::
1/12 > 1/16.9 or approx. 1/16
1/20 > 1/28.2 (1/25th would most likely be too large so probably also a 'bust')
1/24 > 1/33.8 or approx. 1/32 - might work okay but most likely need some 'fettling' to fit correctly.
1/32 > 1/45 (1/48 might work okay with some modification)
1/35 > 1/49.3 or approx 1/50 - so those 1/50 scale tanks are useful for something after all...?)
1/48 > 1/67 (bust unless you can find some S-gauge railroad items)
1/72 > 101.4 or approx. 1/100 (Winner!)
1/144 > 202.8 or approx. 1/200 (Winner!)
1/350 > 492.9 or approx. 1/500 (Winner!)
1/700 > 1/985.9 or approx. 1/1000 (Winner!)

And so it goes...

The advantage to having these factors in hand is it is possible to more easily generate correctly sized templates using either real or image data. For example, you could scan your Monogram F-5 part and then print it at 71% to provide an accurate template for scratching a Hasbro part. Same with some of the standard kit scans found on RPF and elsewhere that have scale rulers in the image.

Regards, Robert

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back