CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod "FINISHED"

Re: CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod

@rbeach84 Some pretty serious calculating there, brilliant!
@robn1 Yea...1/32 it is :)...cool product, takes some time to get the shrink mold but really cool.

I got the Mörser Karl kit yesterday and of course its to big, but I cut away and sanded some off and I think it looks pretty ok...not screen accurate but still does the job I think.
Above where the Mörser part sits the Hasbro have a sort of compartment for "Seismic Charges" I guess thats what they are :p...anyway, that compartment is basically just a rectangular box and looks sorta odd. So I decided to get rid of it and got out the Dremel and now it at least looks closer to the right proportion, still a bit to shallow but better then that "Box" :)

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3160 Kopie.jpg

The plan is to at least give it a light coat of Primer today, I think I need to cause I always spot mistakes when its in one color.

Cheers Guys.

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3160 Kopie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course :) and in Cologne and Vienna as well. Absolutely brilliant to see those Original Models in real life!.

I found a supplier that has the Novocs Silicone Thiner here in Germany. I might give this a go...the F5 Tiger II under Fuselage, the Mörser Karl part and the Ferrari 312 nose might be the best candidates for a shrink test. It says it takes 10 Days for the shrink process...I guess I will continue modeling with the parts I have and if the Shrink works out simply exchange them later.

I did this once with Novocs and MoldStar16. The initial pour of the rtv/novocs was incredibly thin, make sure your mold box is completely sealed. I used as styrene box and sealed the seams with hot glue.

I did not wait 10 days to pour castings. 10 days is when it will be completely done shrinking, it may end up too small. I waited 24 hours, like normal, for the mold to cure and then poured a casting everyday for the next several days. At the end of the cycle I had several sizes to choose from and picked the one that was closest (perfect) to the size I wanted. Mold that casting and you can make as many of the perfect size part that you want.

Cheers! really good tips, sounds like a method that will work. Will give it a go as soon as I get the Silicon and Thinner.

I've heard of that technique before. Seems the properties of the 'shrinking mold' material is well known so you can get rather precise on the amount of reduction. But the iterative technique is an interesting idea!

R/ Robert

Hi Guys

Got another Kit part riddle.

SIB_0565 Kopie.jpg D_zps3b4384e5.jpgIMG_3421 Kopie.jpg
Sits next to the Radar Dish outside those Porsche Fenders, I think the Green part is from the Tamiya 88mm Flak 1/35, but I can't seem to find that red brownish part. My first guess was that it must be from a British Tank because of the Rivets, like a Crusader Mk II/III or something but I can't find a match. I also looked at different trucks (bonnets) but no match, Russian Tank...no match. Any ideas?

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

Was thinking Italian at first, due to the rivets and shape of the parts, but the Carro Armato and Semovente didn't look right. Looked through scans at Studioscale Modellers and found it. I have a "few" kits at home as well, which helps!

Hi Guys

Some small updates...

IMG_3427.jpg
Applied a light Primer coat to see what the model looks like so far.

I also noticed (by coincidence) that the Hasbro Slave 1 is 100% based on Jango Fett's Slave and not the original ILM Slave from ESB.
starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-7943 Kopie_bearbeitet-1.jpg
Screen cap from Episode II + Hasbro unmodified+ILM Original
Look at the details around the Radar Dish...and the "Ferrari 312 Nose".

Another Screencap from SWEII
starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-7823.jpg
Also the Details around the Engines looks more similar to the Hasbro then the Original ILM Model.

If I remember correctly the Hasbro Jango Slave came out first and then Hasbro Released the Vintage Collection "Boba" version later and simply did a repaint of the Jango version...makes sense or :p

Started to prepare for the Shrink Molds...
The 88 Flak, Japanese Type 1 SPG, F5 Tiger II, Mörser Karl and I will pic up the Ferrari 312 from the custom today.
IMG_3437.JPG
Mold box preparation ready to be hot glued together.

I think I will start painting the Cockpit in waiting for the Silicone and Resin, should be here sometimes next week.

Oh...just have to show this :)
IMG_3436.jpg
Got the Hottoys 6th Scale Boba last week...I might put him next to the Slave when finished...I think that will look pretty cool.

Thanks to Rats for the Parts IDs...really appreciate it!

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

Hi Guys

I actually got the Silicon yesterday and of course I went right at it :p

IMG_3438.JPG IMG_0043.JPG

I think the molds came out ok, might need to get rid of some flash or what have you. I realized that I did a mistake casting the Ferrari 312 nose, the mold don't have a back wall, but I fix that when pouring the Resin later.

Now comes the interesting part...waiting for them to shrink.
On the website from Smooth-On (maker of the Novocs Thinner) it says up to 18-20% shrinkage over 10 days...I really hope it will go faster.

Cheers Guys

Hi Guys

So I finished the Shrink Casts.

IMG_3442.JPGIMG_3444.JPGIMG_3448.JPG

As you can see I had to do two batches as the first one only shrank about 10mm, target was about 20mm. The shrink process sets in almost directly after demolding the parts. After about 20-24h it seems that the max shrinkage has taken place, it could be that it shrinks more over Time but I did not want to wait :p.

After the second cast I sorta hit the right dimension. The resolution or detail quality is not bad, not as good as the original but close enough I think.

This method does require a lot of patience and is somewhat costly, I think I spent around 70€ as I needed to do two batches. It does work though and is a pretty cool method if you don't want to scratch build parts and have access to original Kit Parts.

IMG_3449.jpg
I guess the next level would be to completely scratch build the hole thing...but as it is a Toy Mod I think the result so far is ok.

IMG_3160 Kopie_bearbeitet-1.jpg
Comparison of the Original Hasbro Slave-My Mod-Original ILM Model

Almost done...still some detailing stuff to do but it aint looking to shabby. Now I can seriously start thinking of Painting it...and that will be equally challenging, but fun none the less.

Cheers Guys.

Wow awesome work :) I have one of these but it's only getting some simple mods and paint.
Your Hasbro could probably be the best on the planet as I don't know if anyone (on rpf at least) has finished theirs, is that right?

Cheers man!

As far as I know there are some "light Mods" done and one that has a bit of more work put in to it but it was never intended to be screen accurate I think .LINK

I guess you can take a Toy Conversion only so far, the next level would be to actually scratch build a Studio Scale, like Nice'n Models or like Guy Cowen is doing over at the Studio Scale section (Awesome work),

Last edited:

Cheers man!

As far as I know there are some "light Mods" done and one that has a bit of more work put in to it but it was never intended to be screen accurate I think .LINK

I guess you can take a Toy Conversion only so far, the next level would be to actually scratch build a Studio Scale, like Nice'n Models or like Guy Cowen is doing over at the Studio Scale section (Awesome work),
Thanks for sharing your results , I was considering this shrinking method for reducing down real model details as well, the example video seemed to say you could shrink up to 50% in size , do you feel with more heat you could achieve this shrinkage

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back