Rogue One Vader costume

i dont know much about vader's but i just recently stumbled upon this video for R2 reference and vader makes a appearance

very very comical, also weird vader helmet no?!

p.s. is 3po drunk!?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one of the dueling helmets. Whoever dressed him did not seat the dome onto the face mask properly which is why it's sticking up all weird like that.

So that’s clear plexi glass we are seeing under the eyes? There is a weird grey out line on the left of his helmet (his left our right)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a very busy year, and I've been catching up on some reading, and have been late in responding.

I appreciate you trying to be the authoritative voice of what's wrong with Quasimodo or the Rogue One Vader. Here are some points you've overlooked and supporting screenshot analysis that anyone can decide on without bias.

Regarding the issue of the neck allegedly sticking out "10 feet", one thing that has been overlooked in this thread is the symbiosis of the neck and armor that must take place in order for the helmet to not only rest on the armor properly but the setup to appear anatomically correct. If the armor is misshapen, it cannot support the neck properly. The armor is no more a screen source than the helmet, cod, and other parts are.

These comparisons show the front chest angle to plunge too steeply, causing a significant neck gap, and there is a massive hunched-back look which will cause the neck to not sit properly on the armor. In short, the two costume parts are of different makes and weren't made in symbiosis for each other.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=9171fcc09fbcef3e34775626679c0f75&oe=5AC338F1

In the above, notice the first two (ESB) screenshots show a particular front-to-back chest depth and, accordingly, front chest angle. The back is not hunched. By comparison, the Rogue One does not exhibit the right shape. As you may recall, Brian Muir sculpted the original mask and armor over a body casting of Dave Prowse so that they would be structurally in symbiosis with each other. Conversely, the Rogue One clearly does not exhibit that symbiosis.

In fact, the issues are similar to what I've pointed out in the following infographic ("Large Neck Gap") I've shared regarding Quasimodo and its Structurally Matching Armor:

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=3dbefb81a30a0285af8d0a4dd18a15a7&oe=5ACB70E2

In the next image, let's study the mask's neck issue I've also included a sideshot from a second or so before, and how the neck does not stick out "10 feet" a moment before!

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=4978bfe29c70249d8c29ca2544826c8b&oe=5AB61B25

Again, notice the hunched back and the plunging angle of the front chest. Despite this, the neck of the mask does not appear to stick out 10 feet as you say. With some brightening, we can see the armor is clearly warped and inconsistent in shape with the screenused original trilogy armor. Like in my infographic on warped armor and ill fitting, you can sometimes win by making the front look good, but you sacrifice the back - or how it looks overall from the sides.

Also, note that Krennic has crumpled onto the floor. If you rewatch the movie, you'll notice for a split second that Vader is very slightly tilting his head slightly in Krennic's direction as Vader turns. The armor, which was poorly supporting the neck, is now not supporting it at all based on its shape.

Here is an additional look at the armor and its hunchback shape - a corroboration from the Blu Ray "behind the scenes" footage (right, brightened) in comparison with the ESB (left):

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=f1537ff008799c8786f6ec43ace74253&oe=5AB73FE2

Here you can see the hunchback effect with the Rogue One armor. There is significantly less space between where the flange silhouette ends and the armor's trapezius begins. For some reason, I find this to be more of an issue on the actor's left side.

To conclude, here are the potential dimensional differences between the armors:

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=2d87134c6aed8294cdc647b43fa46499&oe=5AF67B74

Under these circumstances, I cannot say that the armor here was GT, nor that it was too small, nor that Quasimodo's neck was modified or sticks out by the alleged 10 feet. The armor has the "feel" of a fanmade, which reinforces the many observations and suggestions of not only fan-sourced Vader costume parts but other props (such as the Death Star Droid) as well.

Say what you will about the Rogue One Vader look. I myself can't stand Vader's gloves, his bigger chin vent, the way his tunic is worn under his chest armor or his cod-piece in Empire, Jedi or Sith. I do have to admit that Vader's Rogue One chest armor does sink inward and looks kind of not great but until CSMacLaren pointed that out to me here I didn't even notice it. Judging by the Hot Toys Rogue One Vader and Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper that I got they beat the ever-loving hell out of the New Hope Vader and Stormtrooper look.

CSMacLaren, I would have a question for you, since you are very focused on the emotion and character of Vader's suit and mask.
What do you think is the single or say the two most important thing that sets the ANH Vader from the ESB/ROTJ one? Sure we can list the actual differences but I'm talking about difference(s) in the overall costume that affect the overall look and feel of the character the most. The ANH Vader is almost a different character by feel and look to the ESB/ROTJ one. The question came to me as I was playing with ANH screencaps and looking at dome placements. It's obviously all over the map in the movie and I was trying to find a placement that's closest in ANH to the ESB one and shows the brows more. But even with photoshopping off the widow's peak and expanding the chin triangle it was still distinctively ANH. Is it the matted finish? The dome itself? The robes worn over the chest armor? Is it just that the difference in Vader's demeanor and voice (talking about the voice effect and the way JEJ talks in ANH vs the rest) to the other two is so associated with the costume nuances?
I mean it in a way that polishing an ANH up superglossy is probably still going to be ANH by feel. Playing with the dome placement did not make that kind of difference either. Putting the robes under the armor does make a big difference to me but the pre-CGI shots of R1 do look more ANH than ESB.
The reason why I'm asking in this thread is that the R1 costume is a very interesting one in this sense. Sometimes it does feel like a polished ANH suit, other times it just looks like an ESB-style with a widow's peak added and the robes CGI-d over the chest and I think that exemplifies that there is a marked difference that is kind of elusive to me. Of course, happy to move to a more appropriate topic if it feels like derailing this one.

@CSMacLaren, I would have a question for you, since you are very focused on the emotion and character of Vader's suit and mask.
What do you think is the single or say the two most important thing that sets the ANH Vader from the ESB/ROTJ one? Sure we can list the actual differences but I'm talking about difference(s) in the overall costume that affect the overall look and feel of the character the most. The ANH Vader is almost a different character by feel and look to the ESB/ROTJ one. The question came to me as I was playing with ANH screencaps and looking at dome placements. It's obviously all over the map in the movie and I was trying to find a placement that's closest in ANH to the ESB one and shows the brows more. But even with photoshopping off the widow's peak and expanding the chin triangle it was still distinctively ANH. Is it the matted finish? The dome itself? The robes worn over the chest armor? Is it just that the difference in Vader's demeanor and voice (talking about the voice effect and the way JEJ talks in ANH vs the rest) to the other two is so associated with the costume nuances?
I mean it in a way that polishing an ANH up superglossy is probably still going to be ANH by feel. Playing with the dome placement did not make that kind of difference either. Putting the robes under the armor does make a big difference to me but the pre-CGI shots of R1 do look more ANH than ESB.
The reason why I'm asking in this thread is that the R1 costume is a very interesting one in this sense. Sometimes it does feel like a polished ANH suit, other times it just looks like an ESB-style with a widow's peak added and the robes CGI-d over the chest and I think that exemplifies that there is a marked difference that is kind of elusive to me. Of course, happy to move to a more appropriate topic if it feels like derailing this one.

Its all the small physical differences that add up to create "THE" ANH look. The overall look of ANH is beaten and worn down when you compare it to ESB/ANH. The gunmetal color was brushed on instead of sprayed, like ESB/ROTJ, that really contributed to the weathered look.

Now with R1, everything is off. The gunmetal was sprayed and the armor was painted with the ESB/ROTJ paint scheme instead of the ANH scheme. That is why R1 sometimes gives off ESB/ROTJ look at times.

Its all the small physical differences that add up to create "THE" ANH look. The overall look of ANH is beaten and worn down when you compare it to ESB/ANH. The gunmetal color was brushed on instead of sprayed, like ESB/ROTJ, that really contributed to the weathered look.

Now with R1, everything is off. The gunmetal was sprayed and the armor was painted with the ESB/ROTJ paint scheme instead of the ANH scheme. That is why R1 sometimes gives off ESB/ROTJ look at times.
Absolutely. However looking at the efx PCR non weathered helmet it is still totally ANH Vader to me. So not sure if the duller and weathered finish is the BIG thing that makes the ANH so unique. Vader was pretty dulled down at the second half of ROTJ but still wasn’t even a ringer of ANH. Again I’m looking for THE thing that makes the ANH Vader and there just might not be a one element.

Absolutely. However looking at the efx PCR non weathered helmet it is still totally ANH Vader to me. So not sure if the duller and weathered finish is the BIG thing that makes the ANH so unique. Vader was pretty dulled down at the second half of ROTJ but still wasn’t even a ringer of ANH. Again I’m looking for THE thing that makes the ANH Vader and there just might not be a one element.

Like I said its all the little details in the helmet, like the widows peak, shape of mohawk and positioning of the dome etc...that what creates the look. That it, That is your answer. The ANH has its own details unique to ANH just like ROTJ has. You are over thinking this way to much.

Even though the A New Hope Vader will always be the first and best look of him his look in The Empire Strikes Back will always be the classic Vader standard in people's eyes. I just can't stand that.​

Like I said its all the little details in the helmet, like the widows peak, shape of mohawk and positioning of the dome etc...that what creates the look. That it, That is your answer. The ANH has its own details unique to ANH just like ROTJ has. You are over thinking this way to much.

Thats right..but you can see the different helmet positions also in the same movie.In some shots of ESB the dome is higher as in other scenes.
But the best domeposition is in the Tie Fighter scenes in ANH.:lol

31887491nn.jpg

The cape looks like a cheap polyester hallowen costume cape... no weight, no drape...

Whilst looking at and studying the cape and tunic of Vader in both Rogue One and A New Hope more and more each day I have to ask this of you, WTF?! Vader's cape and tunic looks WAY, WAY better in Rogue One than in the original Star Wars film. All you have to do is open your eyes. And at the end of Revenge of the Sith Vader's cape is barely covering just one-half of both of his shoulders. Why even put a cape on him?

Whilst looking at and studying the cape and tunic of Vader in both Rogue One and A New Hope more and more each day I have to ask this of you, WTF?! Vader's cape and tunic looks WAY, WAY better in Rogue One than in the original Star Wars film. All you have to do is open your eyes. And at the end of Revenge of the Sith Vader's cape is barely covering just one-half of both of his shoulders. Why even put a cape on him?

Vader's cape in ANH was heavy weight wool. VERY VERY heavy. My wool cape is a good 5 or more pounds. Probably almost 10.

There are way more folds on the R1 cape and that suggests they used a much lighter material. It also flowed and moved a lot more. Watch him walk through the smoke in the Mustafar scene and see how wide the span was on it, That never happened in the OT.

They also used far to much material on the cape and that is why it covered the front to much. The ANH cape was made in 4 panels at only a half circle. ESB and ROTJ were 3 panels at half way between half and 3/4th which is 225 degrees of a circle. But R1 used 6 panels at 3/4th of a circle. That was the accepted standard for OT capes in the fan community but it is actually wrong and way to much material as we see in R1.

Vader's cape in ANH was heavy weight wool. VERY VERY heavy. My wool cape is a good 5 or more pounds. Probably almost 10.

There are way more folds on the R1 cape and that suggests they used a much lighter material. It also flowed and moved a lot more. Watch him walk through the smoke in the Mustafar scene and see how wide the span was on it, That never happened in the OT.

They also used far to much material on the cape and that is why it covered the front to much. The ANH cape was made in 4 panels at only a half circle. ESB and ROTJ were 3 panels at half way between half and 3/4th which is 225 degrees of a circle. But R1 used 6 panels at 3/4th of a circle. That was the accepted standard for OT capes in the fan community but it is actually wrong and way to much material as we see in R1.

I've just come to really appreciate the cape and pleated tunic on the Rogue One Vader. I think that it looks so very elegant and divine. :D Vader having a wool cape in A New Hope doesn't really sound all that majestic. I believe that the lesson that we learned here today is that weight does NOT give a fabric a whole lot of character or charm that's for sure. ;)

I've just come to really appreciate the cape and pleated tunic on the Rogue One Vader. I think that it looks so very elegant and divine. :D Vader having a wool cape in A New Hope doesn't really sound all that majestic. I believe that the lesson that we learned here today is that weight does NOT give a fabric a whole lot of character or charm that's for sure. ;)

That is your opinion. To me wool is heftier and higher quality and looks better vs a thin light weight cape.

That is your opinion. To me wool is heftier and higher quality and looks better vs a thin light weight cape.

I don't think that Vader's cape in Rogue One was light. Lighter than wool most assuredly but it still looked awesome and draped and flowed beautifully in Rogue One.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back