Rogue One Vader costume

I didn't realize people were complaining about how the Stormtroopers look. I thought some had said they were pretty consistant with ANH. But you realize there are differing variations of the armor in all the films.

Yeah it's probably my only complaint and even then it's only a very VERY minor complaint. For a person who is obsessed by the ANH Stormtrooper the new ones stick out like dogs balls. I get the whole comfort and agility thing I really do but to me they could have at least started with original ANH armor and worked from there. But I feel I really shouldn't complain as what we are getting looks awesome. Just wanted to share the point of view of someone else who shares the same view as a few others.

Ben

I'm fairly anal retentive when it comes to small details like that but the TK suits changed subtly with each OT movie so I can reconcile the differences of the RO TK as merely continuing that trend. We simply have a new variation now. About the only possible difference in this case is that RO very possibly ends right where ANH begins, unlike any of the OT movies. That's obviously not confirmed but if true, it does make it harder to explain away why the suits suddenly change. Of course, we're also getting a Han Solo movie allegedly starring a guy that looks and sounds nothing like Han Solo as we've known him, so I suppose it's all relative. Suddenly, variations in TK armor doesn't seem to be such a biggie. Lol!

Just like ANH hero and stunt stormtrooper armor are meant to represent the same armor, I don't think we should assume every change in details from film to film is meant to represent in universe changes to the armor. The film makers care about getting the shots for the film, not keeping every detail consistent.

It is difficult to know for costumes like Vader or Fett where it is a unique character if the changes are meant to be in universe or not. Mass produced armor isn't given as much attention to detail.

Just like ANH hero and stunt stormtrooper armor are meant to represent the same armor, I don't think we should assume every change in details from film to film is meant to represent in universe changes to the armor. The film makers care about getting the shots for the film, not keeping every detail consistent.

Also, to the majority of people watching the movies, they will never notice any differences between any of the movies.

Well that's obvious the changes were likely not meant to be noticed, that goes without saying. Regardless, the changes are there and additionally I think diehard fans like to imagine there is an in-galaxy reason for it.

A really tough one to explain in universe is the changes to Luke's X-Wing pilot helmet in ANH. Was he painting it during breaks? Maybe he was trying to relieve stress before attacking a giant space station.

Back to Vader, I'm happy to read it is very close to the ANH suit. It makes the most sense and that suit looked like he took care of more dirty work himself. It showed wear and tear. The cleaner suits make him look more like a general that stays behind the lines. Obviously we saw that he still did some things himself, but it appeared to be less.

In a way this thread is a contradiction. It's about the loving attention to detail the Vader suit is getting to look like it did in ANH yet us Stormy guys want the same with the stormtroopers and were shot down. Lol. ;)

Ben

In a way this thread is a contradiction. It's about the loving attention to detail the Vader suit is getting to look like it did in ANH yet us Stormy guys want the same with the stormtroopers and were shot down. Lol. ;)

I like that they made a new stormy design instead of the same old one.

If you're expecting an accurate ANH style Vader that looks like this, you are going to be very disappointed.

vader_anh_16.jpg

Ben

I think 'in universe' when you think of thousands and thousands of Stormtroopers, all wearing the 'same' armor, it makes sense to me that the armor is being made in different factories over periods of time and small changes could have been made during production runs, accounting for small changes in how the armor looks.

On the flip side, one guy (Vader) should look pretty much exactly the same.

Ben

Unfortunately the original Stormtrooper design isn't very good for action, stunts, combat, etc. They look great walking around! It's just reality that if they want the Stormtroopers to do much action changes needed to be made. I'm not happy with how they look either, but I can certainly understand the issues with the original design. The shoes are terrible for traction. There are pointy parts of the armor that could jab you in the midsection if you fall the wrong way. Plenty of people building the suits complain about mobility. The vision is pretty bad. Someone wearing a Stormtrooper suit in combat would be significantly hindered in their ability to fight.

If you're expecting an accurate ANH style Vader that looks like this, you are going to be very disappointed..

Based on what? Are you saying the people that say they saw photos didn't see the actual suit, they don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying? I have no idea if the report is accurate or not. Just curious what your statement is based on.

Ben

I don't have any problem with the rivet counters. I think it would be awesome if they had made the Rogue One Stormies exact and would have preferred it if they had. At the same time I also understand that the majority of people outside of this forum won't notice the difference and if it meant that they could move more freely resulting in better action sequences I'm okay with it.

I think 'in universe' when you think of thousands and thousands of Stormtroopers, all wearing the 'same' armor, it makes sense to me that the armor is being made in different factories over periods of time and small changes could have been made during production runs, accounting for small changes in how the armor looks.

On the flip side, one guy (Vader) should look pretty much exactly the same.

This is very valid. The military often has lots of different manufacturers make the same things for them which results in slight variations between all of them. It would be plausible that troopers in different parts of the universe would have slightly different armor coming from different manufacturers or plants.

The military often has lots of different manufacturers make the same things for them which results in slight variations between all of them. It would be plausible that troopers in different parts of the universe would have slightly different armor coming from different manufacturers or plants.

Even the same manufacturer makes minor changes to their products. Sometimes at the request of the customer. Generally the older versions are still used for quite some time.

What I don't understand is that the FX people working on Rogue One surely have all the access they need to the original props at the Lucas archive, probably more access than, say, EFX... Yet EFX sourced a mould for the ANH Vader helmet and an original Hero Stormtrooper suit, that would make GREAT props for the new movie.

One would think this would be an easier, more accurate route to take than hiring Brian Miur to re-sculpt the helmet and sourcing their Stormtrooper armor from Rubies....

I predict that this ANH Vader armor they are bragging about for Rogue One will no more ANH accurate than the Revenge of the Sith armor. Sure, green light on the chest box and cape over the shoulder armor, and they'll call it good.

lol guys you don't need to explain the ins and outs of ANH Stormtrooper armor to me. I know they are uncomfortable. I own 2 sets. They are not that bad though. I've seen people do many things in them though. Things people thought weren't possible. As I said its a really minor gripe and what I've seen of the movie Im happy with. :)

Ben

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back