Weird things in movies you always notice...

KrangPrime

Master Member
This guy gets a laugh out of me every time in twister. Everyone else is acting over shocked. this guy is actually looking kind of happy his boss just died.
13139012_10154033037935211_602277431664537695_n.jpg

This guy on the left is the most famous extra next to 'ghostbusters, alright'. he must have been a producer relative. he's in at least five shots in all different areas of the city prominently.

Check them walking into the library and them walking out of the real estate office for two more.
13166001_10154033037945211_4188624301725567941_n.jpg

SW-ANH The ghostly image of writing visible as this Stormtrooper runs through the scene.

SW-ROTJ The weird black blob on Palpy's hood, just beside his right eye.

Attachments

• Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.44.04_[2016.05.04_05.35.48].jpg
    Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.44.04_[2016.05.04_05.35.48].jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.44.05_[2016.05.04_05.36.07].jpg
    Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_01.44.05_[2016.05.04_05.36.07].jpg
    915.2 KB · Views: 214
  • ROTJ v2.0 Workprint.mkv_snapshot_01.40.53_[2016.05.04_05.39.44]a.jpg
    ROTJ v2.0 Workprint.mkv_snapshot_01.40.53_[2016.05.04_05.39.44]a.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 190
The worst adr I've ever seen was this line from The Godfather.

Last edited by a moderator:
SW-ANH The ghostly image of writing visible as this Stormtrooper runs through the scene.

SW-ROTJ The weird black blob on Palpy's hood, just beside his right eye.

damn, that first one is good eyes. must be a film scenenumber on the edge of the frame. the kind you occasionally see when a film starts in rough cut mode.

From the first time I saw it in 1981: the fly in the mouth.

..that and the telephone pole sticking out from the bottom of the truck when it flips over

One thing I always notice is when someone is playing guitar. I always obsess over watching their fingers to see if they are actually trying to play the right notes or just totally faking it air guitar style and can't play at all

The other thing is when people are working on computers. It drives me crazy when they are just randomly pounding away on the keyboard and making things fly around the screen or trying to program stuff

damn, that first one is good eyes. must be a film scenenumber on the edge of the frame. the kind you occasionally see when a film starts in rough cut mode.

The writing doesn't move though, it's fixed in place and only shows against the trooper. There's rotoscoped animation for the laser cannon superimposed in this shot, the writing must be some notes or something on the animation stand.

The Palpy blob is also rotoscoped, it flickers a bit like a hand animated matte does. It must have been added to cover something on his costume, I've thought for a long time that it may have been a rip. But looking at the scene this morning I noticed that his eye sockets appear to be lit up, there must have been small lights mounted under the hood to light them. The light must have shown through requiring the mattes to hide it. Weird.

I can't stand Michael Keaton's bouncy swagger. He does it in just about every damn movie he's in. It's annoying.

You can see it in 0:08 to 0:16. When you notice it once you can't help but see it every time he does it. Every time he's in a film I know it's going to come up somewhere - even subtlety. It's like a visual Wilhelm Scream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sets that are lit with artificial lighting in a movie that takes place before the invention of the electric lightbulb.

e.g. The Hateful Eight - it didn't bother me because it's a Tarantino film. The conceit of a Tarantino film is the unapologetic and deliberate sacrifice of historical accuracy and chronology in service of a compelling narrative and great characters. Each one of his films is like a tall tale spoken, transcribed and translated verbatum to the screen. But the lighting is still something I couldn't help but notice.

02Look-HatefulEightEdit-6.jpg

Last edited:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. There's no way the match could cast that shadow, and in the second shot the shadow has changed direction.

Attachments

• Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) BDrip 1080p ENG-ITA x264 - Il Tempio Maledetto -Shiv.jpg
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) BDrip 1080p ENG-ITA x264 - Il Tempio Maledetto -Shiv.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 115
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) BDrip 1080p ENG-ITA x264 - Il Tempio Maledetto -Shiv.jpg
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) BDrip 1080p ENG-ITA x264 - Il Tempio Maledetto -Shiv.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 111
Maybe this isn't so weird, but a lot of times you see a cat in a movie or show, they always seem to use this particular "meow" sound, Maybe its like the Wilhelm Scream for cats. Just seems weird they don't use another newly recorded one.
Also, a lot of times when theres a cop onscreen, you can hear the radio saying something and a ton of movies, shows, and even some games use the sound.

Mic booms, random objects that move from scene to scene. It actually quite annoying being able to notice things most people seem to never see.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. There's no way the match could cast that shadow, and in the second shot the shadow has changed direction.

No light falls on the match though. That would be Harrison's elbow you are noticing. See the highlight along the underside of Harrison's arm.

...No light falls on the match though. That would be Harrison's elbow you are noticing. See the highlight along the underside of Harrison's arm.

Yeah that was my point. The match is supposedly the only light source, but it's above his arm and casting the arm's shadow up. There is obviously a light placed below but there is no on screen source, the scene was dark until Indy lit the match.

But this is part of the Indy series' homage to classic Hollywood. Many older films just placed lighting wherever it was needed, with little or no thought given to what the practical source would be.

Yeah that was my point. The match is supposedly the only light source, but it's above his arm and casting the arm's shadow up. There is obviously a light placed below but there is no on screen source, the scene was dark until Indy lit the match.

But this is part of the Indy series' homage to classic Hollywood. Many older films just placed lighting wherever it was needed, with little or no thought given to what the practical source would be.

:lol sorry :p

They still do that, mostly. Even as a child I thought it was odd, like when a person goes into a dark room with a flashlight as the only light source, yet their back is being back lit.

Back to the Future III. Since it was pointed out to me, I can never unsee that kid at the end pointing to his wee wee.

That should really be digitized out.

I've never seen that before, maybe thats a good thing. Also, in BTTF towards the beginning where Marty is getting to school on the skateboard. He grabs a jeep and in the far shot, the driver looks back at him...most likely to make sure hes ok. Then in the following closer shot, the driver then looks back and sees him and is surprised. Sticks out to me everytime.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back