Halliwax's Starkiller V2 tutorial

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello gang! I hope this thread helps someone in the future when it comes to doing a V2. first off I have to thank everyone who made this run possible, if it wasn't for the guys who took the time, and money to make these parts i wouldn;t be be able to do this.

PARTS LIST

Anakin Starkiller V2 (first generation 2015 run)

Trooper_Trent stencil kit

Slothfurnance RoTJ circuit board with soldered traces

Wannawanga (roy) V2 clamp lever

Wannawanga (roy) ANH D-ring

Roman's prop chrome graflex clamp (chrome isn't accurate, but is all he had left. see below for dealing with chrome)

Celebration 7 we saw new photos of the V2 in the state it is today. With these 4-5 new photos Dan (Anakin Starkiller) took it upon himself to set out and make the most accurate V2 replica to date. i was in the right place at the right rime and saw his Run thread go live, and i instantly joined being the first on the run list. The v2 has always been one of my favorites and i was glad i didnt miss the sign up list.

heres a few pictures of how the saber came to me, perfect

b5J3yqj.jpg

f72pl8C.jpg

PxsLPC9.jpg

I slowly started to collect parts, a vintage clamp was going for around 150 at this time. i had a hard time spending 150 for a clamp that i am going to bang up and damage on purpose. i contacted Roman's prop to see if he had a replica clamp. he only had chrome. I purchased the chrome clamp because i did alittle research on how to make chrome look like stainless. so i figured if i could get it to look like stainless then dull it, maybe it can pass for old nickel plating?

the clamp straight from roman, so shiny!!

5PlynC7.jpg

My trick for simulating the finish was, wet sanding with 300grit paper, then soapy water bath. then wet sanding with 400 grit paper, soapy water bath. then wet sanding with 1000grit automotive paper, then soapy water bath.

below you can see that i only started to the right of the square holes, i believe this was with 300grit paper at the time. to the left of the squares is still shiny
8zt2bNT.jpg

After all the wet sanding i needed to dull it, i poured some vinegar from my moms kitchen into a rubbermaid container and used a old allergies medication bottle to clamp to. to keep the clamp out of the vinegar so that only the fumes will touch it

vOoak9n.jpg

I let the clamp stay inside the container for 40 minutes
VlI0TOW.jpg

the end result i was very happy with! beware of the fumes it will take your breath away lol
UMpZAsj.jpg

a damp cloth removed the greenish tint and left the finish below

O7KlMeS.jpg

now was onto my first layer of weathering. i figured dent and ding the aluminum so that it helps the weathering stand out. Trooper_trent did a amazing job proving this works with his tutorial he made on painting. i tried my hardest to copy what he did.

I took a carpenters hammer and used the claw side to lightly dent some surfaces, i also used a ballpien hammer and used the round side of the hammer to dent the booster area. i also softly dropped the hilt (assembled) down my stone drive way to help simulate random nothingness. i use my driveway allot for weathering. especially cloths, my neighbors must think I'm nuts when they see me rolling down the driveway in different cloths trying to weather it up lol..

aTXumEN.jpg

above you can see the damage taking place. the photo above also shows i started filing 1 side of the emitter, in the Celebration 7 photos it looks like it was dropped pretty hard and 1 side of the emitter is really flat. i didnt want to do this fully, but filing 1 side so it wasn't completely symmetrical was my goal.

QpmhSj3.jpg

so now comes the first coat of krylon satin black. there was a reason behind going with the primer+paint spray. i find it that the paint is actually really horrible. when working with these paints with built in primers it seems if you let it dry and re-hit it it really stands out and looks horrible. which in this case i thought would add alittle more depth to the project.

Just like trooper trent did i followed his instructions to the tee. Sprayed the booster, let it get alittle hard, then started patting it with acetone soaked paper towels. i did the booster and emitter

INvdOLI.jpg

qX0lWiw.jpg

qavN3aN.jpg

and the finished result.

RE9fRpI.jpg

vYAzaWo.jpg

now onto the oven clean. I saw D48thRonin used oven clean to dull the aluminum. this was a genius idea, my only concerned was i remember being a kid and my friends used oven clean on their aluminum rims to remove the brake dust. they left it on too long and it burned the aluminum, leaving it a orange color...

i figured i would soak the parts for 5 minute rounds. between rounds i had a bucket of warm soapy water to rinse them, i changed the water each round as well. i hung the center section upside down and taped off the booster. the center section (all the rings) i didnt want too dull, the pictures to me look like the rings are much shiner then the rest of the saber. so i only coated the center section once. with the booster taped, and the saber upside down, i didnt have to worry about damaging the booster section.

heres the pommel, and emitter after 3 rounds at 5 minutes each

oBr5hq2.jpg

jOXeCEO.jpg

I5gqRGe.jpg

above you can see i filed much more out of that side of the emitter

ZSOlyWZ.jpg

here you can see the difference in soak time, again pommel and emitter 3 soaks, at 5 minutes. center section 1 soak at 5 minutes
K0xcxjc.jpg

ZEXDRgo.jpg

next came the most intimidating part for me. i was so afraid of this next step. i had to have watched Trooper_trents videos 15 times! along with reading his instructables over and over. i just took my time and paid close attention to all the details being sure to put the stickers in the right locations
qgRghMe.jpg

one thing that really helped me was i marked where the upside down T is suppose to line up with the booster. i marked it with a red sharpie to stand out more
gNePkEu.jpg

tN4BEi7.jpg

i waited a long time to get this far, cracking at it 5-10minutes a night. glad to have gotten this far. i knew i now had to step it up because i didnt want the stickers to cure and give me a hard time in the removal process and destroying the paint job

Zp5wSU3.jpg

back to the yard.. time to spray. this is my makeshift spray tower. a CD case as a base and a PVC pipe lol.
j4Z4wDN.jpg

sFyeRkS.jpg

MiQMkeG.jpg

this is where this 2 in one paint comes in handy. with a sunny day it drys fast, 1 light coat, and the second coat i would only do say 1 side of the booster. let it dry, then i would do another side, i would make it all un even. these way the paint has a someway wavy feel to it. i dont know if this is the right way to go about it, it just makes it look and feel old to me
mK0mTz2.jpg

sticker pulling was more time consuming then i thought. i had couple hours this night pulling stickers because i still wanted the paint somewhat soft. for the up coming step

ancfjAC.jpg

i want the paint soft because i wanted to give the stencils a rougher edge. when doing this i used plastic spoons and wooden popsicle sticks. this way it wouldn't scratch the aluminum, and would still be able to remove the paint, and rough up the edges.
dafD3Mn.jpg

just softly rub the edgers, you dont really have to go hard, you can just see the edge slightly change color, this is exactly what i was looking for. i then used 3 spoons on the grenade rings... time was against me and the harder the paint got, the harder it was to remove...

here i ended up wearing out the spoon, so i used the other end of the spoon, i hit it on the belt sander and then went to town on the rings
Qhxy8XZ.jpg

there is some great reference pictures on this site, thank you Chaim for the photos, these really helped me determine which ring gets what scratch
7ELjKfz.jpg

heres another shot of the roughed up edges
Wn62qPu.jpg

this is something i did from day one. i was so tired of going back and forth on trying to get the alignment just right every time i took the saber apart.. i used a chisel and stamped a alignment line. this way it is hidden in the weathering and i can quickly lock her in the right orientation. i did the same thing for the clamp, i could fit a small chisel in-between the actual clamp (under the circuit board) and hit it with a tap of the hammer making a mark on the inside for throne room orientation.

0Q6oThH.jpg

the photo above also shows the sanding i did to the mysterchunk. this photo the chunk is 2 turns less then it should be. when tightened all the way it sits flat. the reference photos i swear i see angled sides to it. so i sanded the sides down, like a pyramid shape... if that makes any sense lol

HrYQdcs.jpg

some watered down acrylics on the cone knob, inside the clamp lever gives it a dirty feel. i also had to rust the metal block that Roy supplies with his lever. i think its stainless, i soaked that thing in everything i could think of to make it rust and that baby stayed like new. i had to result to many layers of acrylics
1LIMszN.jpg

FHvlKD5.jpg

3C92hrd.jpg

roys ANH D-ring installed!!
vIvxVCV.jpg

there we go, all finished!
I0Ja5Ur.jpg

Again i can't thank everyone enough, i really appreciate all the hard work you all put into these parts. they are truly amazing. i hope this thread helps the new timer with questions.

May the force be with you

Danny

Last edited:
this is kind of backwards as i should have posted this first. but this is a cheap way of installing a bearing retainer. i ended up buying a locking shaft collar and replacing the nylon spacer. but there is nothing wrong with going this route. the only reason i changed to the shaft collar was because its metal an.. well metals cooler isn't it?! ;P

i went to lowes the other day for parts for work and checked out a few things, though i like the snap ring idea i came up with a more simpler solution that only requires a power drill. so heres alittle tutorial on what i did ( i figured i posted in this thread to help others, if i am going about this the wrong way i am sorry and will repost it where ever necessary thank you)

Ok so first i ran to lowes and picked this up
gMvqHDn.jpg

i brought the rod with me to make sure the hole in the nylon spacer was smaller. here is the bag with part number i used.

I than mic'd the rod and recorded the number
rPWtFJw.jpg

i then bored out the nylon spacer with a drill bit .055 smaller then the rod
3QzPYJb.jpg

once bored out i tried pressing it on by hand and it was a no go ( which is a good thing, i wanted the hole small, so it was a very tight fit) i then took a file and filed only one edge. so no one side of the spacer is bigger then the other, i placed the bigger side on the end of the rod, and tapped it on with a hammer. CAUTION when tapping this on with a hammer use eye protection, though im not hitting it hard enough you dont want to hit hardened steel with a hammer, which i believe this rod is.

Mbza9c8.jpg

you can slightly see the mark i made a 3.442 (that mark later doesnt work for me)
Ay90QQA.jpg

now the spacer will only go down until its flush with the rod, so i used a 9mm deep socket to push the nylon spacer further down to the 3.442 mark
4sxxwCV.jpg

which will end up looking like this
SfrtyY0.jpg

this is so tight, i pulled and pulled and it wouldnt budge, so i was happy with it, threw the bearing on to test fit
bD6J5nj.jpg

when using the 3.442 mark, my tip was alittle long so i pushed the nylon spacer back until i was happy with this tip. dont know if it needs more or less
5GmySux.jpg

i used this measurement to achieve the above picture
2n1yu3S.jpg

measurement = 3.592

heres alittle video i made of it spinning, i love it!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DXxs19mAs

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude!!

Fantastic write up. You absolutely killed it.
One of my buddies got on Dan's second run and when he gets Roman's clamp in, he's coming over for me to help him put it together.
I'm using your tutorial instead of doing it the way I did mine.
Great job man!

This is some next level stuff Danny! Your saber looks dead on! It doesn't look like it was made anytime this decade, you have mastered the art of weathering/ painting!

Thank you for putting together such a detailed tutorial, I'm sure the write up alone took hours.

Last edited:
I found a good way of getting the rougher edges around the paint scratches on my hilt when I was mucking about with it, minus all the chipping the hard way. It may work with the stencils, it may not, but spraying the paint on some scrap and using a cotton swab to dab that paint on the metal instantly creates the rough, tattered-edge chipping without all the work. Because the fibers of the swab kinda make too fine a scuff, I found also slightly wetting my hands and just handling my hilt help chip the paint to get more subtle squarer cuts.

Danny, that looks superb! Thank you for your tutorial; now I feel ready to finally weather mine as well! I recently exhibited mine, but painted like new. I really felt like I was cheating!! LOL.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

Danny, great job man. What a fully detailed tutorial ! I look forward to when you begin your astromech builders log. Great job on the saber. You can definitely see the love you have for these. It shows in your work.

Dude!!

Fantastic write up. You absolutely killed it.
One of my buddies got on Dan's second run and when he gets Roman's clamp in, he's coming over for me to help him put it together.
I'm using your tutorial instead of doing it the way I did mine.
Great job man!

thank you so much trent! it wouldn't have come out looking so good without your stencils! to me honestly your stencils make this thing pop! I'm so happy you did a run, if you do another set count me in on one. i want another set

This is some next level stuff Danny! Your saber looks dead on! It doesn't look like it was made anytime this decade, you have mastered the art of weathering/ painting!

Thank you for putting together such a detailed tutorial, I'm sure the write up alone took hours.

thank you so much, you dont know how much this means to me seeing all the positive support. i live a very quiet life. this website means allot to me, i have made a lot of friends and learned alot of tricks. i spend most nights on this site looking through old threads taking notes and printing pictures. I dont have many friends on the outside because I'm not one for large crowds, loud noises or bars. my girlfriend tends to call me "boring" lol. so this site and its people on it are apart of my life. i seriously look up to all you guys on here, you are all very talented artists. to have your approval, it means so much to me.

i take a very long time

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back