Anovos Ghostbusters Proton Pack Kit

I do have question for you Got Maul.

I already have a very nice replica but this price point is tempting.

My question is is this a Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2 pack?

The pictured prototype and alice frame are clearly GB2 but all the advertising makes it out to be Ghostbusters just curious what the final product actually is?

While I wanted a GB1 pack, the truth is it is styled after GB2, simply because of the accessibility of some of the components like Ribbon cable. The idea is to start with this pack, all resin bits and make available different upgrades in the near future, such as GB1 greeblies, all metal greeblies...real upgrades to this base pack. This way, you have a choice of which level of accuracy, style or consumer price point you want to attain or maintain !

Cool of you to answer some questions! Can you guys reveal anything on the shell? Production-sourced? 3D scanned? Custom build?

After seeing the sort of research that went into the patch, I'm jazzed to see what's next!

So, when we got access to the archives (which was my dream come true) we got access to a number of their packs and scanned (what was believed strongly to be Venkman's GB1 and 2 pack). We actually scanned 2 very good packs and from my knowledge and research stemming as far back as 1997, was able to identify the GB1 base back "tells" . We then brought this into the digital world and cleaned up a lot of it to make it print worthy and water tight. When we did the prototype you see on the site now, we actually compared the casting we received to the digital model and found it to be extremely close with slight differences in the negative spacing. There was some differences in surface in texturing but that was about it. To be clear, the prototype pack you see on the site, IS NOT the base that the pack kits will be made from. It was made as an engineering model to get some base pricing from china, which, in turn, determined your pre-sale price.

I am still evaluating what will be the base pack. Right now we are exploring the possibility of simply printing the scanned piece and so far that this seeming the best path. You all will the first to know what decision I take but be rest assured, it will be a very very accurate pack, whether we alter the prototype we have now or go to print. It is just a matter of how much time each option takes to get to the final base.

"Tripoli...you remember the good days ? Great to see you here. I have to tell you, getting this license was like "coming home"."

Just looked at some old photos and realized my first pack was back in 98. Yep,everyone putting their heads together to make these packs was awesome. The GB group always has been interesting. My first fiberglass pack was with your shells. Super replicas. I hope to be able to budget and pick up an Avanos pack within the next month.
1998 !?!?! I didn't even graduate college ! wow, what a trip down memory lane. PM me brother, would love to hear how things are going.

Yeah, used the paranorman plans. :) But it was a bit fragile. So went with the fiberglass shells for later on.
My very first pack:

P0000704.jpg

P0000705.jpg

Cutting edge in it's time. :)

I contacted AVONOS recently to see if photos of the final consumer model were going to be posted. The paraphrased reply was, "No, we don't post images of the consumer model, but you might see it at a convention."

That concerns me. I wanted to run a story on our website when it was available for purchase, but I can't bring myself to do that if a product is being sold to the public based on prototype photos only.

I contacted AVONOS recently to see if photos of the final consumer model were going to be posted. The paraphrased reply was, "No, we don't post images of the consumer model, but you might see it at a convention."

That concerns me. I wanted to run a story on our website when it was available for purchase, but I can't bring myself to do that if a product is being sold to the public based on prototype photos only.

yeah, they have some weird policies.

What could POSSIBLY be the harm in showing the finished product?

IMHO, they are speeding things up TOO Fast.

Before they even ANNOUNCE a pre order, they should have everything designed and tested and finalized. The finished product photo should be posted, and THEN pre orders go up.

Even though this is the cheaper alternative for people wanting a pack, any company should be upfront with what they're selling. The prototype looks gorgeous, but it obviously contains higher end items that are (as stated in the description of the materials used) not included. Considering we're almost in the 4th quarter, now would be a good time to address concerns potential buyers and pre-order holders have. It's easy to have high expectations when you are only shown the gold standard and nothing else.

I've personally been on the fence about pre-ordering it and wanted to do a complete unboxing video at Dread Central when it did ship. That price tag with very little verifiable information, though ...

Still confused about this. Listed in what seems to be the description of what comes with the $600 kit, it says-
•Proton Pack frame and straps can be purchased separately.
Does this mean the kit comes with the frame but you can purchase other frames separately? Or that the kit doesn't come with the frame and it HAS to be purchased separately?

Second, it seems from this thread, that the wand pictured is a higher end wand ($700) that you can buy separately. The $600 kit though does come with a wand, just not the top of the line one that is pictured, correct?

Still confused about this. Listed in what seems to be the description of what comes with the $600 kit, it says-
Does this mean the kit comes with the frame but you can purchase other frames separately? Or that the kit doesn't come with the frame and it HAS to be purchased separately?

Second, it seems from this thread, that the wand pictured is a higher end wand ($700) that you can buy separately. The $600 kit though does come with a wand, just not the top of the line one that is pictured, correct?
I took it that you have to buy the Alice pack frame and straps separately.

GotMaul, I really wish you would stop calling the Pack pictured on your website a 'prototype'. It is hugely misleading to those ignorant of the facts, and that equates to what is essentially 'bait-and-switch' or false advertising - especially since in this very thread you have admitted it is not representative of what people will be getting.

The Proton Pack pictured on the Anovos site is a scratch-built prop made by Venkman71 SEVERAL YEARS AGO long before there was any prospect of licenced props from Anovos (actually I'm not sure Anovos even existed at the time). It is a well-known prop in the community and had been heavily featured on GB Fans. One of the features on this pack which you are most definitely NOT getting with the Anovos kit is a full aluminium Thrower. That aspect in particular makes Anovos' use of this pack to advertise their kit highly questionable.

GotMaul has put in a hell of a lot of work in researching the GB props, his background speaks for itself and there isn't a single person within the GB community who will dispute that. However, as longtime member of that community, GotMaul is fully aware of the hard work and pride exhibited by the prop building side of the community and the complete and total lack of *need* for 'officially licenced' props (much like the fandom didn't *need* 'Official Franchise' status from Sony/GhostCorps). Sony haven't cared abput the franchise or the fans for a very long time (and some would say the reboot proves that they kinda still don't) so why should we pander to them now? The fans have been doing their own thing for twenty years and are perfectly happy to continue that way. It's a shame then that GotMaul, now in possession of a professional prop/costume business, has chosen to take advantage of the heightened interest in the franchise caused by the (now failed) reboot by acquiring a licence and making some money at the expense of the community he has used as a stepping stone. It is naïve to think his motivation is anything other than financial, as it is also naïve to think that when (if) Anovos' GB props are available, Sony will not start making life difficult for the fans producing GB props and their related parts.

Master Replicas once announced licenced GB props, only to drop it after a massive negative response from the prop-building community. The reasons why they objected have not changed, so I'm at a loss to explain why so many are now drooling over the Anovos GB props. Especially as Anovos are asking for $600+ up front when they have nothing to show what they are actually going to produce...this is no different to MattyCollector asking for preorders on the light and sound Ecto-1 with only a photo-standee with flashing lights to give an idea of scale; the GB community largely weren't prepared to take that on faith (spoiling it for those of us who were) so I don't understand why Anovos, who not only have nothing *actual* to show but have in fact tried to mislead customers, are getting a free pass by so many. It beggars belief! The only other thing Anovos have shown us, the patch, was way off the mark. It was a valiant effort, but trying to make a mass-produced 'screen accurate' copy of something which varied in design/quality due to the production method used at the time, using modern production methods...there's no way that could have worked put and perhaps shouldn't have been attempted. And I say that as an Airwolf fan frustrated at the lack of availability ANYWHERE of a totally screen accurate patch, not to mention that the season 1 patches have the same problem as the Ghostbusters patches - they're off the 'standard' design and they each vary slightly.

GotMaul, I have the greatest respect for the work you've put in when it comes to GB prop research, the quality of Anovos' other licenced gear is astounding, and I wish you and your company continued success in the future, but speaking as a Ghostbusters fan, I really hope that the Anovos Ghostbusters line does not work out. Some things should be left alone.

To anyone who wants to get into GB props, I would advise you to support the hardworking folks of the Ghostbusters community; you'll find everything you need there, at high quality and reasonable prices, and all the advice you need is there too.

Regarding Anovos selling the ALICE frame and straps separately...there's a valid reason for that and it has existed for quite some time. Master Replicas and MattyCollector both talked about it when they were discussing the possibility of producing Proton Packs. Essentially, any Proton Pack that has the frame and straps fitted 'straight out of the box' is classed as a 'costume prop' as it is wearable - and that directly conflicts with Rubies' costume licence (MR were talking about selling the pack with mounting holes in the motherboard, so you could easily add the frame yourself). Admittedly back when MR and Matty were talking about it, all Rubies had out was that costume with the inflatable pack, and the prospect of *that* blocking an 'out of the box' wearable replica was scandalous. Now that Rubies' have a 'higher end' costume with a more substantial pack available, I'd imagine they'd be in more of a position to challenge any licencing infringements.

So a builder decides to step up, and legally go about things for a change and drops tens of thousands of dollars for the licensing rights, and he is motivation is only for financial reasons? So for stepping up and avoiding copyright infringement, you "hope his Ghostbusters line fails", and you urge everyone to not buy his products and support the independent builders who in actuality are violating plenty of copyright laws? Just goes to show you that a lot of independent prop makers only view those who obtain licenses as sell outs and think the independent makers should band together. So keep making a ruckus and **** the license holder off... it only takes a phone call to Sony that every builder is in conflict of their license rights and GBfans.com will be slapped with tons of C&D letters. Trust me... it CAN happen.

GotMaul: Thank you for finally addressing some of these issues and shedding some light on the prototype and information about the kit.

I know there's a lot of people in the GB community that are on the fence just because of lack of information.

Some more questions I personally have and I'm sure many of the GB community members would like to know:

How were the packs scanned at the Sony archives? I'm sure it's unlikely that you guys had the opportunity to disassemble the prop and scan the individual parts on the shell, and that's understandable. If that was the case and the pack was scanned in it's entirety, do you guys plan to re-model the file to remove the attached parts and just print a "shell", or would the shell print have the parts such as the ion arm, booster tube, N filter, ect included in the print?

If you guys decide not to use the scanned files, will these just be Vincent/Biggi shells re-produced overseas with 3D printing?

Parts List: A lot of people are curious to know if the kit will come with replicas of the resistors, crank knob, clippard fittings, legris fittings, V hook, etc and what materials they would be made from (genuine / resin / 3d printed)

I'm very interested to see actual photos of the production parts, very exciting news about the scan. I think photos of the parts or scan will help persuade a lot of people, and help us see what's going to set Anovo's offering apart from fan made parts currently available.

there is no way I can preorder without seeing the real pack. @gotmaul you really need to let them know they would make so much more money if you had up what we were getting. That I feel is the only real problem

So a builder decides to step up, and legally go about things for a change and drops tens of thousands of dollars for the licensing rights, and he is motivation is only for financial reasons? So for stepping up and avoiding copyright infringement, you "hope his Ghostbusters line fails", and you urge everyone to not buy his products and support the independent builders who in actuality are violating plenty of copyright laws? Just goes to show you that a lot of independent prop makers only view those who obtain licenses as sell outs and think the independent makers should band together. So keep making a ruckus and **** the license holder off... it only takes a phone call to Sony that every builder is in conflict of their license rights and GBfans.com will be slapped with tons of C&D letters. Trust me... it CAN happen.

I found that post kind of odd myself. especially where they wish the other licenses does well, and they should stop the GB ones. the poster does know that the other licenses have a fan building community too that may or may not be just as effected, right?

I have no problem supporting local builders. have done so in the past and will do so in the future, regardless of anything official being out. But, if i can get it all at one spot, and in one fell swoop, it's nice to have an official option around.

Problem is, as noted, Quality may not be the same due to mass production...and shiftiness in advertising. the aforementioned showing pictures of FAN props. I STILL don't get why anovos doesn't get their prototypes completed BEFORE posting it for pre sale. that would seem logical

Anovos aren't showing anything because they don't have anything to show; they need the preorder money to fund it. And from what GotMaul said in this thread, it seems like they wouldn't want to show it in kit form anyway.

Anovos aren't showing anything because they don't have anything to show; they need the preorder money to fund it. And from what GotMaul said in this thread, it seems like they wouldn't want to show it in kit form anyway.

After Anovos brushed off my inquiry about posting photos of the actual consumer model, this makes sense. It's Q4 and nothing has been revealed. If a threshold for the number of pre-orders hasn't been met, then release a statement saying so, and real images of the pack. That may drive pre-order numbers up. If Anovos is in over their head with this license, it's best to just come clean with customers.

I wouldn't show a kit to this group unless it was 99% accurate and had a ton of supporting archive images with notes and arrows all over the place. I've got a pre-order in on this and honestly I'd rather wait and hope that they are working hard on making this as perfect as possible. If it's a bit late so what? Get it right the first time. I can speculate all day on how bad this can be but I'm not sure what that would accomplish at this point.

The other thing that is curious about Anovos' pack is that they say it is going to have a "metal armature" inside their pack shell to help support it....that to me raises questions about the material Anovos are going to use for the pack shell; it seems like it might be a bit flimsier than fan built shells as I dont know of any fan shells that need internal armatures, they are usually pretty thick solid fibreglass or similar. The movie pack shells did not have internal metal armatures for support either.

I am sorry I was ignoring this thread. Let me try to answer some questions.

Even though this is the cheaper alternative for people wanting a pack, any company should be upfront with what they're selling. The prototype looks gorgeous, but it obviously contains higher end items that are (as stated in the description of the materials used) not included. Considering we're almost in the 4th quarter, now would be a good time to address concerns potential buyers and pre-order holders have. It's easy to have high expectations when you are only shown the gold standard and nothing else.

I've personally been on the fence about pre-ordering it and wanted to do a complete unboxing video at Dread Central when it did ship. That price tag with very little verifiable information, though ...

Absolutely. I will be personally updating the project via email to all the investors of the project.

The Kit doesn't come with the frame and it HAS to be purchased separately.

yeah, they have some weird policies.

What could POSSIBLY be the harm in showing the finished product?

IMHO, they are speeding things up TOO Fast.

Before they even ANNOUNCE a pre order, they should have everything designed and tested and finalized. The finished product photo should be posted, and THEN pre orders go up.

The good news is, the LF rules do not apply here. I will get to show you guys a lot more things as they are being put together. I plan on incorporating that into the emails and also here .

I took it that you have to buy the Alice pack frame and straps separately.

Correct !

GotMaul, I really wish you would stop calling the Pack pictured on your website a 'prototype'. It is hugely misleading to those ignorant of the facts, and that equates to what is essentially 'bait-and-switch' or false advertising - especially since in this very thread you have admitted it is not representative of what people will be getting.

The Proton Pack pictured on the Anovos site is a scratch-built prop made by Venkman71 SEVERAL YEARS AGO long before there was any prospect of licenced props from Anovos (actually I'm not sure Anovos even existed at the time). It is a well-known prop in the community and had been heavily featured on GB Fans. One of the features on this pack which you are most definitely NOT getting with the Anovos kit is a full aluminium Thrower. That aspect in particular makes Anovos' use of this pack to advertise their kit highly questionable.

Correction, that IS his pack he made for this project. It was a combination of Venkman71's and Vinny's work. The pics that were taken were meant to encompass the whole program. This pack is the base and we will be offering all metal kits and finished props. At the time though, we obviously couldn't use pics of a kit that hasn't come into existence so had to rely on the "prototype only" verbiage.

GotMaul has put in a hell of a lot of work in researching the GB props, his background speaks for itself and there isn't a single person within the GB community who will dispute that. However, as longtime member of that community, GotMaul is fully aware of the hard work and pride exhibited by the prop building side of the community and the complete and total lack of *need* for 'officially licenced' props (much like the fandom didn't *need* 'Official Franchise' status from Sony/GhostCorps). Sony haven't cared abput the franchise or the fans for a very long time (and some would say the reboot proves that they kinda still don't) so why should we pander to them now? The fans have been doing their own thing for twenty years and are perfectly happy to continue that way. It's a shame then that GotMaul, now in possession of a professional prop/costume business, has chosen to take advantage of the heightened interest in the franchise caused by the (now failed) reboot by acquiring a licence and making some money at the expense of the community he has used as a stepping stone. It is naïve to think his motivation is anything other than financial, as it is also naïve to think that when (if) Anovos' GB props are available, Sony will not start making life difficult for the fans producing GB props and their related parts.

That's a tall statement and I don't think the community has anything to worry about.

Master Replicas once announced licenced GB props, only to drop it after a massive negative response from the prop-building community. The reasons why they objected have not changed, so I'm at a loss to explain why so many are now drooling over the Anovos GB props. Especially as Anovos are asking for $600+ up front when they have nothing to show what they are actually going to produce...this is no different to MattyCollector asking for preorders on the light and sound Ecto-1 with only a photo-standee with flashing lights to give an idea of scale; the GB community largely weren't prepared to take that on faith (spoiling it for those of us who were) so I don't understand why Anovos, who not only have nothing *actual* to show but have in fact tried to mislead customers, are getting a free pass by so many. It beggars belief! The only other thing Anovos have shown us, the patch, was way off the mark. It was a valiant effort, but trying to make a mass-produced 'screen accurate' copy of something which varied in design/quality due to the production method used at the time, using modern production methods...there's no way that could have worked put and perhaps shouldn't have been attempted. And I say that as an Airwolf fan frustrated at the lack of availability ANYWHERE of a totally screen accurate patch, not to mention that the season 1 patches have the same problem as the Ghostbusters patches - they're off the 'standard' design and they each vary slightly.

GotMaul, I have the greatest respect for the work you've put in when it comes to GB prop research, the quality of Anovos' other licenced gear is astounding, and I wish you and your company continued success in the future, but speaking as a Ghostbusters fan, I really hope that the Anovos Ghostbusters line does not work out. Some things should be left alone.

I can't comment on the business's practices of MR or Matty- all I know is this the world I come from and its going to be a great ride if I have anything to say about it.

GotMaul: Thank you for finally addressing some of these issues and shedding some light on the prototype and information about the kit.

I know there's a lot of people in the GB community that are on the fence just because of lack of information.

Some more questions I personally have and I'm sure many of the GB community members would like to know:

How were the packs scanned at the Sony archives? I'm sure it's unlikely that you guys had the opportunity to disassemble the prop and scan the individual parts on the shell, and that's understandable. If that was the case and the pack was scanned in it's entirety, do you guys plan to re-model the file to remove the attached parts and just print a "shell", or would the shell print have the parts such as the ion arm, booster tube, N filter, ect included in the print?

If you guys decide not to use the scanned files, will these just be Vincent/Biggi shells re-produced overseas with 3D printing?

Parts List: A lot of people are curious to know if the kit will come with replicas of the resistors, crank knob, clippard fittings, legris fittings, V hook, etc and what materials they would be made from (genuine / resin / 3d printed)

I'm very interested to see actual photos of the production parts, very exciting news about the scan. I think photos of the parts or scan will help persuade a lot of people, and help us see what's going to set Anovo's offering apart from fan made parts currently available.

1. We scanned three packs. I am having two lines of prototyping production being done right now . One is via fixing the scanned data, averaging all three packs, and having it printed. The other path is taking Venkman71's pack and correcting it (re-shape body and resurface). I will then decide which way to go once I have both in front of me.

2. The parts are high impact resin. I am also trying to work with Clippard to become a short term distributor along with Nycoil to offer true sourcing. I will update.

3. I can put together some pictures and release it to the email people first. I can then share here.

there is no way I can preorder without seeing the real pack. @gotmaul you really need to let them know they would make so much more money if you had up what we were getting. That I feel is the only real problem

I totally get it. But that's the problem with a pre-order investment. I will start posting some pics here to hopefully alleviate some fears.

Agreed with the first part, second part as stated before, I can show pics.

The other thing that is curious about Anovos' pack is that they say it is going to have a "metal armature" inside their pack shell to help support it....that to me raises questions about the material Anovos are going to use for the pack shell; it seems like it might be a bit flimsier than fan built shells as I dont know of any fan shells that need internal armatures, they are usually pretty thick solid fibreglass or similar. The movie pack shells did not have internal metal armatures for support either.

The metal support is another name for the metal backboard. Terminology mix up. The shell is thick as heck fiberglass.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't show a kit to this group unless it was 99% accurate and had a ton of supporting archive images with notes and arrows all over the place. I've got a pre-order in on this and honestly I'd rather wait and hope that they are working hard on making this as perfect as possible. If it's a bit late so what? Get it right the first time. I can speculate all day on how bad this can be but I'm not sure what that would accomplish at this point.

I'll actually take you guys along for the process. I just sent over the China pack this week and have it all marked up. Don't mind showing you guys this

- - - Updated - - -

Why would showing it in kit form be bad? Especially HERE it might drive your pre orders up

Like I said, this is not the LF license so we have more freedoms here. I intend on taking you guys with me as head to a final product.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back