Marvel's The Punisher

Thain

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's official:
http://marvel.com/news/tv/26104/netflix_orders_marvels_the_punisher_to_series?link Id=23992377

RS_Punisher_Series_Coming_RAB_02a.png.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they can maintain that same character tone that recognizes that Frank, while homicidal, manages not to project instability of emotion or thought. Frank's has an eerie equilibrium with his ethic which has him making unexpected but logical choices throughout DD series 2. I hope they can preserve that.

Super excited about this, but also a little surprised. I really didn't expect them to give him his own show. I definitely agree with dascoyne, here's hoping they are able to stay true to the character we saw in Daredevil.

Le sigh. Punisher was wonderful in Dare Devil. Don't get me wrong. It's just... I don't know. We already have our dark brooding white guy vigilante who kills people with guns.

Batman!

:p

Le sigh. Punisher was wonderful in Dare Devil. Don't get me wrong. It's just... I don't know. We already have our dark brooding white guy vigilante who kills people with guns.

Batman!

Batman doesn't use guns (okay... except for weird dream sequences/visions for some reason). If they stay true to the character than The Punisher should be a great series, and it will be an interesting contrast to Daredevil in that the Punisher lacks the faith and moral compass that so strongly influence Daredevils actions.

Not sure how I feel about this.
Part of me says "Awesome!!!"
The other part says "He was great as a side character in DD. Can they really pull it off as a full-time series?"

They certainly have decades of source material to draw from. The fan base of the actual comic has been an up and down over the years.
It's always an interesting character because he does what most/all of the Marvel heroes won't do.... finish the job. The fact that someone like that exists in the Marvel universe and is still considered in some way a hero makes him very interesting.

Being a series and not movie I would love for them to cover the first mini series back from the 80's when he was in jail and escaped!

Batman!

There's a huge difference between the two.

The Punisher doesn't brood.

If he talks about his family or life it's only in the company of a confidant.

Batman broods. He ponders in solitude relentlessly. He ruminates over his transference of fear to bat symbology to comic excess. He deconstructs like a detective and pontificates on existentialism.

The Punisher kills bad people.

Stop.

"If there's even a one percent chance of him being our enemy we must take it as a absolute certainty."

Geez. The Punisher wishes he could have that kind of mentality.
Batman broods.
Punisher doesn't.

If you think they're the same character then more power to you - troll on.

If you think they're the same character then more power to you - troll on.

This is just making fun of the fact that the theatrical Batman we're now stuck is now a gun carrying, criminal killing vigilante who thinks that bad people should be wiped out with extreme prejudice. Trust me. This isn't me arguing that Batman and the Punisher are the same character. This is me mocking the new Batman for not being more like the Punisher. At least the Punisher doesn't take a 'holier than thou' stance on everything the way Batman does.

I think this would be much better as 4 or 6 episodes mini-seasons to fill in between the "regular" netflix marvel stuff.

I enjoyed him in DD but think it won't work for a whole season. I also think Netflix already has a habit of overcomplicating and doing kinda stupid stuff to stretch the season out to the 12 or so they want to make. I see Punisher stories as fairly straightforward and not needed the fluff.

Iron Fist and Defenders put a dent in my faith that Marvel/Netflix can't muck it up. It's so easy to make The Punisher a conventional vigilante story only innovative in the creative methods of violence - which is how everyone portrayed him on the big screen. Suddenly he was a heck of a lot more riveting in Daredevil season 2 simply because he was written and acted so well. I don't remember that Punisher for how he killed bad guys. I remember him for the rooftop scene and his exchanges with other characters.

The trailer hasn't convinced me one way or another. It does worry me that it might have been hastily written because of how well he was received in DD. Please don't muck this one up.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back