New Luke ESB lightsaber

Crazy idea, what if they just took rectangular tube stock and cut a slot down the middle?
31vDsKD-WxL._SX466_.jpg

and maybe fabricated a rectangular countersunk washer that fit inside?

There are regular tapered cap plugs, however there are also these. what if we're looking at a conical one with a flat top, and the base is the washer beneath the steel ring?Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 1.46.28 PM.png

I took a snap of the pen base. Another thought; If it was glued in place and a crystalline fog was left from smudged glue (hate when that happens), it could have been sanded off leaving the finish we see on the top edge.

How about this fiction I put to it; Vader was sparring with his son until things stepped up getting hit on the shoulder armour. This he gripped the rings top and tail of the lightsaber, taking it out of action with Luke's hand(to do with sparking effect too). Recovered later from debris collector, set back in place.

Youre right, originally I thought the nut and box may be one piece. I tried making one but it was pretty difficult.

Making the T track is pretty easy, Im going to make a few sizes then see what looks best.

Now that you mention a sliding nut that gives me another idea :)

???

I only see the one part box, and a sliding nut in the channel?

I bought this book for a reasonable price. Does anyone know if there is an English version of the book?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WP_20170104_12_05_35_Pro.jpg
What kind of monstrosity of a G R A F L E X hybrid is this??? ... This is to much to take in ... the solutions those propguys came up with seems to astound me even till this day ... not to mention having been fooled since 1981 when Vader lopped off Luke's hand ... the utter horror ... Okay I have to lay down to fully recover from those pictures :wacko

Chaim

No ordinary build. Needs the extraordinary. I guess you're up, held to advertisement. :)

So - I may have found something cool.

I dug through some american caplug sales things. (Some are used to plug test tubes, so I think these are meant to be used upside down) The tapered shape seems legit to me, that doesn't look like a straight cylinder on the real prop.
Anyway - Kurtyboy had originally deduced just under 8mm for the diameter of the red button. 7.9 mm is 5/16 in the US, and I found one with a 5/16 top (or bottom, however you look at it.)

Originally I thought it was too short - however that is because my Larbel socket has no pins in it. I dropped it in there and it was barely over the rim.

The original Graflex pins are the key here - if you squish the conical plug onto the pins it will sit rather tight and slightly at an angle just like the photos we've seen! You can't push a cylindrical button of that diameter around the pins, it would have to be really short. Also, this has a flange which helps keep it from falling out if the spacer is glued down.

Also, Kurtboy had measured 5-6 mm for the height of the mystery metal spacer. When this is stuck on the pins, it sits 5-6mm above the rim of the graflex! Mine just has "2 X" written on top....I bet I can sand it off, but I wonder if there are any without any writing on them.

here are pictures, including one with an incorrect spacer - just a tad too short, it's 3-4 mm thick.

DSCN4224.jpg

DSCN4225.jpg

DSCN4226.jpg

DSCN4228.jpg

DSCN4229.jpg

DSCN4230.jpg

DSCN4231.jpg

DSCN4232.jpg

DSCN4234.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So, did they or did they not use the shorter kobold flash for the bottom section?

Yes and no!

What Marcus and I both have are the stabndard silver Kobold flash unit, and it's still not quite as long as a full graflex. the stubby kobold would look weirder!

Also, you can see the sockets and slide thingy between the grips.

I noticed the red button sits a bit above the metal spacer, and without squishing it down, these caps sit that high as well.

Does anyone have a shoulder puller for making the Graflex bump? I know these were around years ago.

I've got one of these older upper halves that had the old style switch and the black lines around the top of the body. It's flat where the red button would go. I wonder if a shoulder puller would completely destroy the nickel plating around that area if I were to attempt it...

Maybe I should just leave it alone and make something custom with it. I dunno.

Does anyone have a shoulder puller for making the Graflex bump? I know these were around years ago.

I've got one of these older upper halves that had the old style switch and the black lines around the top of the body. It's flat where the red button would go. I wonder if a shoulder puller would completely destroy the nickel plating around that area if I were to attempt it...

Maybe I should just leave it alone and make something custom with it. I dunno.

Does it have the telegraph button? Make a Super Trooper Blaster with it! If you don't wanna, I'll trade you a regular top for it [emoji106] ;)

So - I may have found something cool.

I dug through some american caplug sales things. (Some are used to plug test tubes, so I think these are meant to be used upside down) The tapered shape seems legit to me, that doesn't look like a straight cylinder on the real prop.
Anyway - Kurtyboy had originally deduced just under 8mm for the diameter of the red button. 7.9 mm is 5/16 in the US, and I found one with a 5/16 top (or bottom, however you look at it.)

Originally I thought it was too short - however that is because my Larbel socket has no pins in it. I dropped it in there and it was barely over the rim.

The original Graflex pins are the key here - if you squish the conical plug onto the pins it will sit rather tight and slightly at an angle just like the photos we've seen! You can't push a cylindrical button of that diameter around the pins, it would have to be really short. Also, this has a flange which helps keep it from falling out if the spacer is glued down.

Also, Kurtboy had measured 5-6 mm for the height of the mystery metal spacer. When this is stuck on the pins, it sits 5-6mm above the rim of the graflex! Mine just has "2 X" written on top....I bet I can sand it off, but I wonder if there are any without any writing on them.

here are pictures, including one with an incorrect spacer - just a tad too short, it's 3-4 mm thick.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have the telegraph button? Make a Super Trooper Blaster with it! If you don't wanna, I'll trade you a regular top for it [emoji106] ;)
Sorry, it doesn't have the button. It never did. It's actually gutted. :(

I'm guessing you're not interested in a trade without those parts.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back