New Luke ESB lightsaber

The more I look at this, the more it looks like the red button is stuck over something, and it looks like theres some lettering on the steel knob, on the left. An L or a C?

Also, theres something red/brown underneath the beer tab, what if thats whats underneath the red button

I did see the engraved characters but I can't make them out. Could be the size if it is something like drill-stop.

Looks like a washer under the button.

I picked up these spacers. They're shiny, like the cone knobs and look great however they're slightly too small. They are 3/8 ID by 5/8 OD and 1/4 Height. The inside is slightly bigger than this kobold button I have - great! They look like a decent height too but the OD is 1-2 mm too small. Technically they're around 15 mm, the exact diameter of the hole/socket. I have a spacer coming from Europe from a vintage motorcycle place and the OD is 19 mm roughly. I fear that will be too big.

also these American ones are both beveled differently, sloppy machining, but they're identical sizes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 320
I picked this vintage motorcycle spacer from Austria. It surprisingly is an identical diameter as my Larbel beer tab. The inside is slightly bigger than the kobold button. I'm on the fence, what does the RPF think?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 299
What I'm seeing is if this were curtain track, it would need to be cut from a larger piece. I'm not finding any track splicers that match, or that include a stop.
Most of the miter track has an extra recess in the bottom, I even looked up Boat convertible tops and that track is 7/8" wide, way too big.

This box seems to be precision cut, like a single machined piece that comes that way - and I'm at a loss after hours of searching different areas

I'm also at a loss with the button, it seems to be a non-standard size, and that seems to rule out hardware almost all together. I don't know vintage audio equipment, but I'm stumped. Any other ideas?

Also, Would anyone with machining capability be willing to make a kit of both the box, rectangular stop and button/spacer? T slot cutter and some drilling and lathing...cant be too much aluminum or steel stock at least, but im not sure if theres enough interest.

There are also these things on the side of Graflex and large press cameras, but I don't feel strongly about it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 6.58.45 PM.png

You are close with the curtain track it looks like. Closer than what I thought for a moment with something else. Must be some kind of quick grab from parts for a stunt fx. The old stripped metal parts box of the production worker would have such things like varied metal fixtures torn from here and there.

Last edited:
Good eye! I think we're looking at one of those things that looks identical to the real part used. This has happened with the sink drain obi wan emitter and toothed lathe gear as the obi wan rear grip. we now know they were aircraft parts but I was so convinced it was a gear for years.

These builders were known for using what was in shop, aka the excess parts from all the camera parts, audio eq. and machinery and model kits they stripped. Like, it almost defies logic sometimes what they chose :lol Obi Wans stunt saber was cast in molten aluminum instead of being lathed. No clue why, as they lathed plenty of things for those movies, but it happened haha

That track is very close...3/4 is too wide but holy crap that's close. Those caps may explain the shape too!

- - - Updated - - -

Can we get some higher res versions of that page?

edit: sorry that IS a pretty high res photo, nevermind, I was on my phone haha

we now know theres a countersunk flat head in that block...and the track is most likely 1/2 inch wide, like the T track. im also voting for those cap buttons as of today

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back