Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Interesting to see that the decorative pins are actually holding the cape to the harness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tossing in a few more shots of the cape at FIDM, hope they're handy for somebody!

IMG_0849.jpgView attachment IMG_0856.jpgView attachment IMG_0879.jpgView attachment IMG_0883.jpg

I have been lurking on this thread forever and finally registered an account. You guys have amassed a TON of useful information and I hope to contribute something useful as I construct my costume. My plan is to do a cross-play version, with as close to screen-accurate cape and tunic as possible, but losing the undershirt and keeping the arm wraps.
I might add the undershirt back at a different time, but I mostly cosplay for Dragoncon in Atlanta's summer heat and am tired of making myself outfits that I get overheated in :p

Anyway, thanks again, and I can't wait to share my progress!

Right. I'm working on an Embroidery file since it appears to be threading and not a print. I share it with everyone asap.

If I have the funds, I plan on either printing the belt (mold then cast out of rubber), or making it out of EVA foam, make a mold, cast it out of urethane rubber (VtyaFlex 30)

If I model the belt, I'll let you guys know :D

Any chance you finished the embroidery file for the tunic? I am struggling in that.

I started embroidering it by hand, but then realized I'd made it too big, and now I have to start over. I'm working on inputting pattern coordinates into my sewing machine so it will do the outline and then I can hand-embroider the fill faster.

Here's what I had initially though:
IMG_20170630_142320085.jpg

I haven't had the chance to finish the embroidery file. I was using a vector to embroidery program, but it was a free trial and I didn't have the time to finish it. I think it was called Digitize and Stitch.

That sounds lovely though.
My sewing machine is just a ounzie bit too old. It can do custom embroidery, but instead of taking a file, I have to input one-at-a-time coordinates into the machine for the matrix every time the stitch will change angle, It is tedious and slightly daunting for such a complicated pattern.

Planning on picking up my last bit of fabric and supplies today and getting started on the vest/tunic. Made to cape pattern on butcher paper, but need to tweak that. Should pad is in the wrong place and I think the cape is too broad.

Would anyone who has a finished cape be willing to measure it for me so I have estimates? I think I just need the lengths of the "arms" I.E. from collar to end of embroidered trim, right and left sides (I think they might be different lengths?). I should be able to figure out the height of the cape by using my own proportions so that it ends just below my knee.

Other question! If any of you have used the magnet method of connecting the cape to the vest/tunic, what strength magnet did you use? N45? N52? Did you have any issues with the magnets shattering when the cape clicked into place on the tunic?

Also, I think I have finally gotten my 3d printer up and running, so for anyone else who has their own, here are the model files I've found for the Eye, the broaches, and the sling-ring, in that order:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1929165
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1550536
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1874099

Last edited:
The stitch work on his tunic is cross stitch. Some embroidery machines can do this type of stitching but it usually looks better by hand. If you choose to do it by hand, you can get a product called waste canvas that will allow you to do the cross stitch pattern at the correct size. Once your done with the design the canvas can be pulled apart under the stitches to leave a perfect design that looks like the movie costume. That is if you have the patience for that. I'm still working on hand tying the hair to the lace for the goatee for my husband's strange costume. Then I'll get back to the tunic and the hand stitching portion.

Does anyone know where I can purchase an embroidery file of the border pattern for his cape? I dont have the artistic skill to hand embroider it and my Google searches have ended up no where. Thanks!

Hi Bardon, would I be able to get a copy of your version of his cape border as a Pfaff digital file? Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm preparing to start this (as I said before I would) as Yara Greyjoy is going easier than expected. So in preparation, I look up fabrics, shapes and references and I've come to the conclusion that I'll use cotton for the tunic which I'll dye by hand (it just looks much more natural), but I have not a clue what the trousers even are like.

They look a little bit like blue skinny trousers? But not jeans?

NEW LOOK for Doctor Strange! Does anyone have any images of the new look we saw for Dr. Strange in Thor: Ragnarok? His tunic is different, and he's wearing the yellow gloves from the comic books. What else? And does anyone plan to Cosplay this newer look? Was this look ONLY for the Thor movie, because on-set shots of his costume for Infinity Wars looks just like nothing has changed from the Dr. Strange movie. If there's a new thread already going on for this conversation, can someone please direct me, please?

NEW LOOK for Doctor Strange! Does anyone have any images of the new look we saw for Dr. Strange in Thor: Ragnarok? His tunic is different, and he's wearing the yellow gloves from the comic books. What else? And does anyone plan to Cosplay this newer look? Was this look ONLY for the Thor movie, because on-set shots of his costume for Infinity Wars looks just like nothing has changed from the Dr. Strange movie. If there's a new thread already going on for this conversation, can someone please direct me, please?

His look for Ragnarok is the same as the one from the final scene of Doctor Strange and is also the one that they use at Disney parks. There are pictures of it further back in this thread, minus the gloves. It's still weird to me that Infinity War has him going back to his first costume.

You guys! I really can't say thank you enough to everyone who's posted such great info the last few months! It's really helped me so much! Especially to the Prop Lord for uploading the print for the lining! I'm attaching some photos of my progress on the cape. Finally got everything lined though the very top of the front panels still need to be finished off and the hem is just pinned up off the floor. Now to figure out how to attach it to the body! I'm making this for my husband so I think it will fit the shoulders better than my size 6 female dress form... ;)

Making costumes for theatre is my real-life job but I have to say that this project has REALLY challenged me. I haven't tried counting the number of pattern pieces involved in this cloak but WOW. I'm glad I started with the cloak otherwise I may have been too daunted to finish the project!

IMG-6438(1).jpgIMG-6439(1).jpgIMG-6440(1).jpgIMG-6441(1).jpgIMG-6442.JPG

I'll have fun! Edit: I have an UP Plus 2 printer and their software automatically generates supports so it'll be interesting to see how it goes with the # piece.

A minor update - we've finally gotten the embroidery patterns for the trim working well. It's all getting pinned in place so ignore the mess, but this is how it's turned out:

Here's the "brain material" section - all hand-done random patterns.
View attachment 649378

Here's the trim pattern done via the embroidery function of m'darlings new fancy sewing machine. If anyone would like the patterns, happy to share and/or convert to whatever manufacturer you require - this one's a Brother but the software lets me convert as required. We made one pattern for the arc, a reversed one to allow alternation and did the long flowing seam in between using a decorative hemming heirloom stitch (Brother stitch # 40).
View attachment 649377

Any chance I can get the embroidery patterns?

Hiya folks, sorry but Life has taken me away from this side of things for a while - my apologies for not replying earlier to requests for my embroidery files for the cloak trim!

Happy to supply them again, I just need to know what brand of sewing machine people have, as they're different for each but thankfully my software can translate. I've already put up the Brother and Husqvarna files, so looking for posts by me in this forum will get you access to them, but if anyone needs a different format please let me know!

It's the little details that really make a costume - like when Stan Lee came to Australia and signed my Cloak!!!!!

Signed by Stan Lee.jpg

Last edited:
The wife and I watched the movie again last night, and noticed something that I didn't see anyone else mention. His back belt is similar to the front in that he has a disc back there too. You can see it when he gets blown into the new york sanctum before he gets his cloak.

strange back.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back