Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Finally ready for prime time...attended Baltimore comic con and got stopped a lot for photos. Still need to attach the arm wraps to a piece of fabric instead of manually tying them around (we ran out of time) and we'd like to eventually make our own cape.

strange.jpgstrange2.jpg

So having seen this picture of the Doctor Strange shirt I have come up with a bit of a pattern. Clearly the design in the set picture is made to be as lightweight as possible. It is also pretty tight, which I figure is because it has to take the weight of the Cloak of Levitation which must be substantial. I have made a basic mock-up out of the most god awful material but it looks to be working. I have tried it on and it is snug however, the stretchy side panels give you enough movement to somehow drag it over your head. In the basic plan I have attached (no seam allowance) I have made the lower sleeves very tight with a long vent so that there is as little fabric as possible bunching up underneath the lower sleeve wraps. I haven't done a pattern for the collar yet as I figure I will work that into the final finished shirt using a bit of trial and error. Like I said above this shirt pattern is designed to be snug so anyone wanting to adapt it is going to have to take their own measurements into account.
43666924_10157830423633835_3207877508212981760_o.jpg43253517_10157819379428835_1892075240125628416_o.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.13.49 PM.png43828191_10157830413933835_554747369044836352_n.jpg43395095_10157823052733835_3245173037116424192_o.jpg43425726_168054617435084_8715826461472194560_n.jpg

Hi Kialna,
Would you sell the 3-D models? Yours are the only 3-D rings I've seen which differentiate between the front and the back ring.
Cheers! :D

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard on this thread and costume. What a wealth of information! Really looking forward to my own build now!

As above, thanks guys. I'm about to make a very... minimal Dr Strange costume for Halloween, and there are few nice ideas here.

Looks very authentic. But what is the brown version for?

I've made it entirely myself by using 1mm leather, dyed it black (also using it for the boots) and 'braided' it.

vuP3sO9h.jpg

Q1XtcZmh.jpg

kOsEQ9ph.jpg

I'm currently stuck trying to find that other braided belt. I wanted to braid it myself, but I can't figure out the braid and it's not in my leather-braiding book. So I'm not sure how to deal with it. I don't know where to get something like it. At this point, I'll be happy with something that is approximate rather than 100% accurate but... god it's not easy to satisfy my eyes.
Could you please show me the back of that belt? Are the "v" one continous piece or did you cut each one seperately?

Hi Kialna,
Would you sell the 3-D models? Yours are the only 3-D rings I've seen which differentiate between the front and the back ring.
Cheers! :D

I had them on Etsy for a little bit but no one 'bit'. I can send you casts to finish if you want, or would you want the files? I made a mould and used resin rings for myself in the end.
JuTrZAfl.jpg

That looks VERY nice! How did you do that? I've been breaking my head over it.

Could you please show me the back of that belt? Are the "v" one continous piece or did you cut each one seperately?

They're two strips of thinner leather. On that picture the belt is actually bent so you see the back and front. It's essentially just two strips that I continuously weaved into a wider strip.

I had them on Etsy for a little bit but no one 'bit'. I can send you casts to finish if you want, or would you want the files? I made a mould and used resin rings for myself in the end.
I'd actually love to get a look at the files as well or maybe I might buy a cast from you.
They're two strips of thinner leather. On that picture the belt is actually bent so you see the back and front. It's essentially just two strips that I continuously weaved into a wider strip.
Ah I tried that, but I guess I had the relation of the sizes and the angle wrong so it didnt match up in the end. I will try again :)

Right. I'm working on an Embroidery file since it appears to be threading and not a print. I share it with everyone asap.

If I have the funds, I plan on either printing the belt (mold then cast out of rubber), or making it out of EVA foam, make a mold, cast it out of urethane rubber (VtyaFlex 30)

If I model the belt, I'll let you guys know :D
By any chance did you finish the embroidery file?

I never actually posted my costume even though this thread is what helped me so much. So here it is.

I want to re-print the eye and brooches now that I have a new 3D printer, just haven't done it yet as I can't find the files I used to have.

Attachments

• strange_wong.jpg
    strange_wong.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 302
  • strange_discs.jpg
    strange_discs.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 314
  • strange_ancient.jpg
    strange_ancient.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 317
I never actually posted my costume even though this thread is what helped me so much. So here it is.
Same here! I love this thread and this board.

Reprinting the belt buckle (size), not quite happy with some colors... tunica would be another big project. I'm sure I will have lots to do when Dr. Strange 2 is closer :love:

strange.jpg

Hi, I'm new to the Marvel side of costuming, normally I dress as Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi or a Resistance Pilot. Last fall I got a premade Dr. Strange costume and tailored it, weathered it and made some real copper belt greeblies, among other things. I recently got some yellow gauntlets to wear at cons and am wondering if anyone has any good images of the glove's stitching patterns. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_212313004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191025_212313004_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20191018_193357674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191018_193357674_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20191018_205859011_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191018_205859011_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 315
Hey Matt, is there any way you could post these photos again? I was going through this thread again to find any detailed photos of the actual fabric used since I thought I'd try and make a real start on this costume this year, saw your post from a couple years ago about sharper photos of the actual costume, but the link has expired. I'd greatly apreciate it if there was something you could do to make them available again. Thanks!

A thought to contribute to the thread. I've started this build with a theatre costumer and she is convinced that the cloak has been done as a normal cape style in symmetry, then the neck line got shifted over to the shoulder and is hidden under the shoulder patch. This creates the illusion of asymmetry. The collar and the shoulder patch hide the crimes. The cut lines on the back are actually straight from the original cape circle, even though the modifications to the cape make them appear slightly curved (especially the highest line).

This makes sense to her as a costume shop that is making multiples would be looking for shortcuts that come across as complex.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back