Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Great thread. It's awesome to see all the co-operation and sharing on this.
Having just watched the movie again I would love to attempt this costume, but it is way beyond my skill level.

I did notice the spell circles and the way they are presented in the movie reminded me of these LED fan blade gizmos.
I'm sure someone is smart enough to make this work.
DIY-Gadget.jpg

TsunamiHolmes:
For the edging on the cape: Make a base pattern, use heat n bond to attach to cloak. Around this do the double layer lazy daisy stitch. Anchor the base pattern with a leaf satin stitch. Outline the curve with leatherette anchored with a couching stitch. The collar and back panels were done with rattail using a couching stitch. Good luck.

Hey! I realize I'm a little late to the party, and may not get a reply, but I was wondering what you did to achieve the checkered pattern on the segments of the cloak. I was thinking that maybe you used fabric paint, because your "squares" stretch like they do in the movie, which is not something that I think regular fabric can do (even on the bias). Anyway, thanks for the pictures!! You did a really amazing job.

Hey! I realize I'm a little late to the party, and may not get a reply, but I was wondering what you did to achieve the checkered pattern on the segments of the cloak. I was thinking that maybe you used fabric paint, because your "squares" stretch like they do in the movie, which is not something that I think regular fabric can do (even on the bias). Anyway, thanks for the pictures!! You did a really amazing job.

Do you mean the back checker pattern? Or the inside of the cape/cloak?

With my cape, I made a giant stamp out of EVA foam and then used embossing powder.

For the inside, I designed the pattern in photoshop, had it printed through FabricOnDemand.com, then sewed it into the cloak as a "lining".

Do you mean the back checker pattern? Or the inside of the cape/cloak?

With my cape, I made a giant stamp out of EVA foam and then used embossing powder.

For the inside, I designed the pattern in photoshop, had it printed through FabricOnDemand.com, then sewed it into the cloak as a "lining".

Thank you so much for responding!

For the embossing, did you use an iron or a heat gun?

A heat gun. Though I suppose an iron could work. It would probably be better, honestly. I ended up burning the fabric (I used suede) or blowing of a good portion of the powder, resulting in a kind of splotchy melted mess that resembled the checker pattern. lol

A heat gun. Though I suppose an iron could work. It would probably be better, honestly. I ended up burning the fabric (I used suede) or blowing of a good portion of the powder, resulting in a kind of splotchy melted mess that resembled the checker pattern. lol

Thanks again for responding Prop Lord!

I was thinking of using velvet and ebossing that with an iron and a handmade rubber stamp (or maybe craft foam). Do you have any thoughts about that? I don't want to ruin the velvet (or buy it and not need it).

Thanks!!

It was this particular picture that made me think it was a suede / micro suede fabric, for the trim, and quite possibly the checkered section.

Benedict-Cumberbatch-in-New-York-City-doctor-strange-2016-39457340.jpg

I used craft foam / EVA foam to make a giant 18 ' x 24 " stamp. I stamped clear embossing ink on the stamp, then pressed it onto the fabric, and proceeded to pour the embossing powder. However, the material soaked up the ink and also wasn't "even" enough because of the fabric type, and wasn't evenly coated with powder.

I ended up brushing a super watered down red puff paint onto the stamp and pressed the fabric with that. It left the fabric much more damp and help keep more powder. In the areas that I missed, I touched it up with the watered down puff paint, or applied the embossing ink directly to the spots needed and "double" embossed the sections leaving me with the results below.

15207787_10205847148737447_1583933990_n.jpg 15207939_10205843228719449_238268582_n.jpg

Oh, I haven't updated my Eye of Agamotto pictures yet. Here's a couple pictures. The new version is super awesome and even makes a nice little "snap" when the backplate pops into place.

(These pictures do not have the "Cord Plug, Cords, Eye Ball center piece, Vishanti emblem, or magnets) If you're interested, I will be adding this to Etsy as soon as my awesome photographer friend has the time to take pictures.

18449819_10203180753797841_360045888_n.jpg18471401_10203180753637837_324203719_n.jpg18492064_10203180753677838_1001093162_n.jpg

a1.JPGView attachment a2.JPGa3.JPGa4.jpg

Thanks in large part to the advice on this thread, I made a fab Doctor Strange costume for my husband. I entered it into the Novice category at the Phoenix Comicon Masquerade. They decided to bump it up to the Master category and gave him third place in that category! I spent a lot of time making it but I guess it was worth it in the end! :) Thanks to everyone for your help.

(Yes, those grumpy kids are all ours. They felt left out of the pictures so we included them in one.) :)

I am happy to answer any questions about creation you might have!

I wonder why they bothered making him a new suit for the last scene in the movie? Maybe it'll be used for Thor: Ragnarok?

-Side note. I just found out someone has been selling my cape lining pattern on Etsy. :'( I had no problem at all with people using it for their own means, but to sell someone's work as your own? Not cool. (I referenced my work to theirs. 100% the same).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back