Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Thank you! No problem! I'll send them over to you.

There's a program called MeshMixer (it's free) but I haven't had time to sit down and figure out how to use it. There's a function that allows you to Generate Supports for the weak spots of your model. However, when I tried printing it, there were 6 "Shells" even though it was only 1 object.

So my printer decided to print the support first. Which is bad, because it's impossible to print the object you need because the supports are in the way.

You can manually add supports with any other program, like Blender. It us just very, very, time consuming.

I'll have fun! Edit: I have an UP Plus 2 printer and their software automatically generates supports so it'll be interesting to see how it goes with the # piece.

A minor update - we've finally gotten the embroidery patterns for the trim working well. It's all getting pinned in place so ignore the mess, but this is how it's turned out:

Here's the "brain material" section - all hand-done random patterns.
brain material smaller.jpg

Here's the trim pattern done via the embroidery function of m'darlings new fancy sewing machine. If anyone would like the patterns, happy to share and/or convert to whatever manufacturer you require - this one's a Brother but the software lets me convert as required. We made one pattern for the arc, a reversed one to allow alternation and did the long flowing seam in between using a decorative hemming heirloom stitch (Brother stitch # 40).
Cloak pattern small.jpg

Last edited:
Netfabb and Blender work. This was designed in Blender. Both programs are free.

Oh, btw, the diameter is 2.75 inches.

My ring is 2.25~ inches wide, so I took one of the newly released pictures of Doctor Strange on display that show both the ring and the belt. I tossed it into Photoshop and it measured about 2.75".

So major props (pun intended) to The Prop Lord, here's a photo of my first print in quick & dirty mode just to test sizing, supports etc.

Quick print Eye small.jpg

And here it is with the LED. Please note that I'll be using a green LED of the same wattage, I just had the blue already hooked up to the driver & battery pack so it was convenient. It'll be a bit different when painted but I'll also be printing the eyeball part in translucent PLA to allow more light through.

Quick print Eye with blue light small.jpg

Note that both these photos were taking in the same place under the same lighting - the camera just had to darken the whole photo in the LED shot to compensate for the brightness. This will be easily visible outdoors in the sun! :)

NICE!!! I can't believe how well the "eye bars" came out!

Yeah, they were easier to clean off the supports than the main body was! When I do my detailed print (slower speed, finer detail & smaller layers) I'll take a photo of that section with supports and post cleaning for you & post them here. :)

I'll be printing the eyeball in translucent PLA as well to allow a bit more light through, though I do like how the runes are faintly glowing. Mind, it's a pretty bright light - a 3W LED taking 750ma. I used these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13107

The cape appears to be Herringbone. The inside is a custom print.

I bought 3 yards from Etsy, but the thing is, they are out of stock. There is another one that they have listed and the description is exactly the same, but the picture is brighter than the one before. And it is quite perfect for the cape. I'll ask them if this (below) is the same as what I purchased before. If it is, GRAB THIS.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/386880...ch_query=Herringbone&ref=shop_items_search_17

Well, the cloak is starting to look like a real cloak! It's the most assymetrical thing we've ever worked on.... Note: What appear to be marks on the fabric are just the way it looks in the light - it changes all the time depending on the angle of the light. :)

Cloak progress.jpg

Also, I received a request for the embroidery files we used on the trim. Here they are, for anyone to use! These are in Brother format but if you need them converted for a different machine let me know!

View attachment Dr Strange cloak pes files.zip

Edit: resolved the file loading issue, it accepts a zip file!

Last edited:
That cloak is looking absolutely awesome!!

-I haven't started on any parts of my costume. I just learned how to 3d model complicated pieces from scratch and I haven't been able to stop, haha.

I'm basically modeling and printing an anatomical correct muscle suit that I'll mold and cast out of foam rubber for different costumes. I have a mild Muscular Dystrophy so it's insanely hard to gain real muscle. haha.

I'm also working on a Headpool (Deadpool's head ) project, and a couple other things I'm trying to get up on Etsy.

I intend to start my Doctor Strange costume next month though. It shouldn't take me more than a week. Except the cape. That may take a bit longer.

All right, I have now started this project in earnest. I'll start posting update pics over the next few days. So far finished the pants and under tunic. I should have the tunic and tabards done tonight. I have a rough pattern of the cloak ready, but will need to start prepping fabrics fore the textured bits.

Now that I have caught up on this thread from page 2, I am not sure if I want to rejoice at all the research or cry knowing it will be the death of me if I start it. I will have to consider this very seriously after Dragon Con and decide if I have the time to finish my wookiee before celebration next year. If not, I guess I may jump into this with the rest of you and try to finish before the movie.

Hey guys, quick update with no pics but a few questions.
- started on my tunic last night. I was all set to just run with a Jedi type pattern and make it work until I saw the fit of BC's costume. The neckline and slim fit through the arms have me reevaluating my pattern. I'm gonna take a quick look at Walmart tonight, see if I can find something similar. I have the disadvantage of building it as a female version, so I'm kinda winging it on patterns and fit.
-I think I'm going to use the Jedi pattern without the sleeves for the tabard. the current plan is to layer it with interfacing, then do stitching on top to add detail. Im planning to do the pleating on top of that as a separate piece.
-I had ordered a corset to serve as a base for my belt, but it's the last day of the shipping window and I don't have it so I may have to make another plan.
-I have an idea for creating his spell discs, but no means to do it right now. I'm looking at prices.

Questions!
- does anyone have a pattern they're using for the shirt piece?
-what are people doing for shoes? I know some of you are BUILDING accurate shoes but that's a little beyond my skill level. I'm looking for a base boot, then I need to figure out the wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per my promise to PropLord...

Here's the full-sized, printed at slow speed Eye.

First pic is the dreaded "X" with the supports as generated by my UP printer. I found it interesting how it made a kind of channel holding up each arm of the X - that popped away fairly easily:.

Eye X with supports small.jpg

Second, the assembled (yet to be painted) Eye. I printed the eyeball itself in translucent PLA to allow more light to pass through.

Eye assembled small.jpg

As an aside - do you have an STL for a back for the Eye or is it intended to remain open-backed? Just wondering as I think I'd prefer to close it up, if only to prevent light leakage from the LED as it's pretty powerful.

Hey guys, quick update with no pics but a few questions.
-I think I'm going to use the Jedi pattern without the sleeves for the tabard. the current plan is to layer it with interfacing, then do stitching on top to add detail. Im planning to do the pleating on top of that as a separate piece.
-I have an idea for creating his spell discs, but no means to do it right now. I'm looking at prices.

Questions!
- does anyone have a pattern they're using for the shirt piece?
-what are people doing for shoes? I know some of you are BUILDING accurate shoes but that's a little beyond my skill level. I'm looking for a base boot, then I need to figure out the wrap.

I'll check with m'darling when she gets home whether she used a pattern for the shirt or just winged it - the odds are about 50:50. I *can* tell you that we've done the shirt as one piece, the pleating as a separate piece rather like a priest's cassock (I think that's the name?) and for ease of dressing added the one assymetrical pleating bit on the left side directly to the belt. When you're wearing it you can't see that it's not part of the other blue clothing and it's always in exactly the right spot.

As for boots, I can't afford to be *that* big of a purist so I got a pair that looked close from Demonia and we're working on the best way to do the wrap right now! :) The cloak is 90% finished too - when it's done I'll put up some photos of it with the full costume.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back