Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

We're considering hidden straps that run under the armpits like a luchadore cape just due to the weight. It doesn't help that the cape is assymetric (like just about everything else on this costume!) so it pulls a little to the left.

We thought about weights but this is for conventions so I'm looking at wearing it all day and the cloak is not something I'm going to take off - it makes the costume! :)

Minor update: We've gotten the base pattern for the edging on the cloak started and it's looking good! Took a lot of work to get the pattern (I wound up having to make an image and convert it to a sewing pattern her Brother machine could understand.

Please note that it isn't finished, there's still the stitching to run between the patterns, it needs ironing etc but I'm so proud of what a great job she's done I have to share! :)

Cloak edging start.jpg

There's a video from Comic-Con on the Doctor Strange Facebook page showing a good amount of detail on the costumes. I muted it when the redhead entered the picture, I don't know if there are any spoilers after that, if that's a concern for you, but I seriously doubt it. She directs the recorder to the Baron Mordo costume, but he moves back to the Strange costume for a little bit at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorStrangeOfficial/videos/1772365166319044/

I was surprised to see just how off-kilter the cloak-cape actually is. The detail on the patterns on the cloak are amazing (if you can't see it well, you may need to download the video), I really like what he called the "brain pattern" around the collar.

Hi I don't know if you've started your boots yet but I found out what I believe are the exact soles on his shoes
9aa143807cb43b9cbeeaa73dc5819159.jpg

They are as gt 2000 3's
da8cd53a8cce98cc6ef127f7403b669d.jpg

And there is an image with higher brightness, you can really see the lines are exact also here's the reference pic we have have of the sole to compare
7360a0118424f38d3305a2d22a85a5a5.jpg

And here's a proper orientated one to compare
2b89e1d109454b4bfba4b47fb4a4710f.jpg

Please note they are opposite feet so the one in the costume is on his left leg. And the sole used to do its picture is on his right leg, this is why I believe there isn't an asics symbol right at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey gang...
I am a part of the Facebook group that was also working on this project. I made the models in the JerTwitch store on Shapeways. BBeauty Designs and I worked on the same fabric design as well. I love that this has finally taken off so well on theRPF. The name of the Facebook group was "Sorcerer Supreme Apprentices"...simply because I didn't see anyone doing this project for Strange at the time. Here is an image of the cloak brooches I got from Shapeways and made a mold of. I have been cold casting mine, but need to pull another set this weekend as the metal I used was too dark for my liking. I look forward to seeing more of what you all post, and great job on the modeling PropLord...

20160616_220712b.jpg20160616_223914b.jpg20160722_132715b.jpg

20160616_220712.jpg

20160616_223914.jpg

20160722_132715.jpg

20160616_220712b.jpg

20160616_223914b.jpg

20160722_132715b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, we have found that both the Asics GT-1000s and GT-2000s are similar enough. I bought the GT-1000 4s.

imgrc0065752425.jpg

So I spent this afternoon looking at the belts!
I started by studying the bottom layer of the belts, which is a bigger section of leather about 3 reg. Belts tall.
Unfortunately, there arnt any good pictures of all sides of the belt, i'm kinda assuming some stuff so let me know if anything looks off!
20160724_225207.jpg

Heads up, Spoonflower is doing a sale on a different fabric each day this week for a "dog days of summer" event (this Saturday 7/30 is the final day)

I don't, and I have a great deal of pics.

Here is where I'm at with the Cape print. It's a LOT more accurate than the one I made before, and free for everyone to use. Any input is welcome!
The picture is an example, the link is the full image.

It is 72 inches by 56 inches. I plan on printing it on Cotton Sateen at FabricOnDemand.com

View attachment 634785

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J6vajd9j1wbG1iZDVsSVJZV0k/view?usp=sharing

EDIT!
I have a more accurate version uploading to Google Drive.
The new texture is tilted into "diamond shapes" so you can cut out the cape as one solid piece. There is left over space so the second link has the "ugly squares" that are colored differently on the cape. Meant for adding the "patches" wherever you see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the file was set to "download", yes.

The thing about the crazy " # " symbol on top of the eye, is that it can not be printed on a filament based 3d print machine. Unless you added a crap load of supports.

I don't think I set the eye to be downloadable, simply because it took about a week of modeling and fine tuning the details.

I can, however, send you the files if you want though. Just don't sell the file / casts of the Eye, since I'm going to be selling them myself once I get it molded.

I plan on having my Eye ready to cast by Sunday. It's already sanded, cleaned, and smoothed. I just haven't sat down and done it yet. I have enough electronics for 4 sets (Green micro LED with button cell battery/battery holder).

To be honest, on ours the brooches are purely decorative - they're too small & fragile to hold any weight and the cloak isn't going to be lightweight. We're still experimenting with the best way to hold it in place.
Had the "weight" problem with the fabric I chose for my Jedi robe-it kept sliding off! I solved it the same way I'm dealing with this cape: I molded a hunk of a 20 litre bucket I got from a restaurant to go over my shoulders, then glued the robe to it!

If the file was set to "download", yes.

The thing about the crazy " # " symbol on top of the eye, is that it can not be printed on a filament based 3d print machine. Unless you added a crap load of supports.

I don't think I set the eye to be downloadable, simply because it took about a week of modeling and fine tuning the details.

I can, however, send you the files if you want though. Just don't sell the file / casts of the Eye, since I'm going to be selling them myself once I get it molded.

I plan on having my Eye ready to cast by Sunday. It's already sanded, cleaned, and smoothed. I just haven't sat down and done it yet. I have enough electronics for 4 sets (Green micro LED with button cell battery/battery holder).

I most solemnly swear, here in public on the RPF, that I am legally and morally bound to only use the files to print my own personal copy of the Eye for my costume and to give full credit to The Prop Lord in all published photos thereof!

Seriously, this is the last piece of this costume that's been giving us nightmares - I've got the electronics already (3W green LED w/remote belt battery pack) but as we want to debut this at the Brisbane Comic-Con in mid-September time is drawing close and I've been panicking about the Eye! I'm happy to experiment with printing the # piece, I just don't have the skills to model up the pieces yet.

You sir, are a textbook example of what the RPF is all about!

P.S. My wife also sends her thanks as this is such a joint effort between us.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back