Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

If you haven't already, read every post on this thread. There is a TON of information.

As for some of us, I created / designed the inside of the cloak / cape in Photoshop then had it printed through FabricOnDemand.com.

You can download it for personal use on one of the pages of the thread. As for "normal" (and I use that word very lightly) checkered fabric, you can find that just about anywhere. Joanns, Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, etc.

I used pictures from around the web and made the 3d models using Blender and a couple 2d to 3d grayscale apps.

On a side note, this isn't particularity costume related, but I'll probably release these files too on my Google Drive. It's the Eye of Agamotto stand (part of it anyway) and part of the Book of Cagliostro.

Demo.jpg
demo.jpg

I've succumbed now that my mum gave me her sewing machine and I wanted to create some fun on rave-festivals. So mine will be rave & con-proof. No cloak for me at least (until later maybe)...

I have until 2019-2020 for this though. Oh god why.

New here, thanks for all the costume tips. I see a lot of you used red cording but it looks like the back of the cape is fringe to me? What does everyone think?

Fringe. 100% definitely fringe. Brush Fringe.

I bought 1" fringe, sewed it in-between 2 cape panels, cut off about half so it was roughly 1/2".

Last edited:
Strange Cloak Pattern.png
If anyone is interested, I worked on the cloak pattern a bit. (I found an image and enhanced it, I did not create the entire thing myself!)
I'm ordering my fabric on spoonflower, and I think I can make a design public if anyone is interested! I'll let you know how it turns out once it gets here.

Meanwhile, I have been working on my tunic. I created my own pattern that worked really well, so I'll share that soon with some pictures!

I haven't tackled the cloak much yet... It is really intimidating for a first-timer like me! I'm willing to try it though, so we will see how it turns out!

View attachment 695849
If anyone is interested, I worked on the cloak pattern a bit. (I found an image and enhanced it, I did not create the entire thing myself!)
I'm ordering my fabric on spoonflower, and I think I can make a design public if anyone is interested! I'll let you know how it turns out once it gets here.

Meanwhile, I have been working on my tunic. I created my own pattern that worked really well, so I'll share that soon with some pictures!

I haven't tackled the cloak much yet... It is really intimidating for a first-timer like me! I'm willing to try it though, so we will see how it turns out!

Yes, that's my pattern :). I designed it in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, after using 15+ JPEGS, converted them into PNGs to enhance the pixel-ratio for my screen so I could make it as accurate as possible. No need to enhance it. If you need the actual print file, I'd be willing to send you the link from my Google Drive. It's already set. If your want to use your image, you need each square to be slightly larger than 1" each, and the file size itself has to be 72 DPI or PPI. That's the highest they will print anything at. But it's all that is necessary.

It's cheaper on FabricOnDemand.com

You will need a minimum of 2 yards of 54" wide bolt.

There's also a picture of my cape when it is completely flat. I haven't had a chance to turn it into a pattern on Adobe Illustrator, but you certainly could use that as a base. So far as I can tell, it's pretty a darn accurate.

Last edited:
Yes, that's my pattern :). I designed it in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, after using 15+ JPEGS, converted them into PNGs to enhance the pixel-ratio for my screen so I could make it as accurate as possible. No need to enhance it. If you need the actual print file, I'd be willing to send you the link from my Google Drive. It's already set. If your want to use your image, you need each square to be slightly larger than 1" each, and the file size itself has to be 72 DPI or PPI. That's the highest they will print anything at. But it's all that is necessary.

It's cheaper on FabricOnDemand.com

You will need a minimum of 2 yards of 54" wide bolt.

There's also a picture of my cape when it is completely flat. I haven't had a chance to turn it into a pattern on Adobe Illustrator, but you certainly could use that as a base. So far as I can tell, it's pretty a darn accurate.

So sorry! I found it on Pinterest and couldn't find the owner, so I went with what I could use. I totally would have credited you if I'd have known!
Meanwhile, having the file would be fantastic! Thank you so much for offering :)
Cheaper is better, so thanks for the suggestion!

Would you be able to show me a picture of your cape pattern? I have a lot of it done, but I'm trying to figure out how round to make it (if that makes any sense). And thanks for the information on the size! That was the next big hurdle for me to jump over, so it helps a TON!

One more thing, do you (or anyone) know where I can find the 3D file for the large belt buckle? I have a printer, but I am having trouble finding it on multiple websites and I'd like to get it printed soon.

Thanks!

Wow, it found it's way to Pinterest? haha

As for the cape pattern, I haven't digitized it yet. However, my cape has been posted in "flat form", here it is again. This is the shape you need it to be for it to sit accurately. I'll send you the link for the cape pattern. The only thing I don't have on this pic is the collar, and the 2 rectangular strips that go on the edges.

15207900_10202604046579318_1908342476_n.jpg

If you promise not to sell the files, or the prints from the files, I also have every single "hard" piece made up on the google drive.

EDIT:

Actually:
cape_Pattern.png
Darker red, Velvet / Micro Suede
Lighter Red, Herringbone Twill.
The white oval is an approximation of where your shoulder goes. The actual design of the shoulder, I don't remember what it looks like. I'll have to update this later.

Yes, it is lopsided and uneven. That is how it is supposed to be, oddly.

Last edited:

As for the cape pattern, I haven't digitized it yet. However, my cape has been posted in "flat form", here it is again. This is the shape you need it to be for it to sit accurately. I'll send you the link for the cape pattern. The only thing I don't have on this pic is the collar, and the 2 rectangular strips that go on the edges.

View attachment 696024

If you promise not to sell the files, or the prints from the files, I also have every single "hard" piece made up on the google drive.

EDIT:

Actually:
View attachment 696025
The white oval is an approximation of where your shoulder goes. The actual design of the shoulder, I don't remember what it looks like. I'll have to update this later.

Got it, thanks! That's really helpful! (and yes, haha!)

Of course I won't sell your design! That wouldn't be very respectful or lawful of me. I'll simply use it for my own cosplay :)
Thank you again, you don't know how much this means to me! I'm so glad I got an account here so I could get some help, it's been great!

View attachment 696024

EDIT:

Actually:
View attachment 696025

I was just about to give up on my attempts at the cape pattern and then you came and saved the day! I can't wait to get back from college to start on the cape!

Just wanted to share my new Masters for the my V3 Eye of Agamotto :D
Still have to finish cleaning them up a bit. I ordered them from Shapeways because my printer can't handle the detail. Oh! The Book of Cagliostro part that I posted, I had that printed too. And I'll just have to say, OMG, they printed the detail perfectly! I'm still working on getting it smoothed out with different spray paints.

16118641_10206245635099357_344192007_n.jpg16118718_10206245635459366_1679864910_n.jpg16118546_10206245634899352_528518843_n.jpg
16128504_10206245873985329_577582843_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my new Masters for the my V3 Eye of Agamotto :D
Still have to finish cleaning them up a bit. I ordered them from Shapeways because my printer can't handle the detail. Oh! The Book of Cagliostro part that I posted, I had that printed too. And I'll just have to say, OMG, they printed the detail perfectly! I'm still working on getting it smoothed out with different spray paints.

View attachment 699169View attachment 699170View attachment 699168
View attachment 699184

This is looking great! Looks like I'll be buying another eye from you before long!

My Marvel-licensed costume arrives today from Hong Kong. Hope it looks as good as the photos…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Marvel-licensed costume arrives today from Hong Kong. Hope it looks as good as the photos…

It does!!

Size-wise, the large is more like a US medium, and so some tailoring will be required. (I have a 35" waist) Fortunately the pants are just simple broadcloth pants that I can replace easily using "close enough" (color and fabric) commercially available pants. Then the matching fabric from the costume's pants can be used to let out the under tunic. The over tunic is really beautifully made and it has only very narrow sides between the arm openings and the slits from the waist down. This makes it easy to let out there using more pants fabric or, even better, lighter blue fabric from the fabric store. The belt, again nicely made with lots of detail, can be let out using a vinyl extension with heavy duty Velcro on both ends.

None of this would be required if I would just lose weight!

The belt will benefit from the addition of some 3D printed clips and mounts for the fling rings.

The cape is really nice and mounts with heavy duty clips (4) to the over tunic. I think I will find a way to fasten the front of the over tunic to the pants so that the weight of the cape doesn't pull up the over tunic as it tries to slip backward off the wearer's shoulders. The included metal cape brooches may help, also.

Overall, I am delighted with this purchase and I will try to post my mods as I make them.

This week my KillerBody Eye Of Agamotto and Sling Ring(s) arrived, very well packaged.
I had already some other Chinese Eyes of Agamotto and a Sling Ring in my collection, but the quality of the Killerbody versions is way better...and bigger!

The Eye is about 9,5 centimeters wide and 3cm thick, which is much larger than the cheaper Chinese versions. It is metal (brass) and heavy, like 275grams.
The details are great, the fluorescent stone can be covered mechanically.
IMG_2600.JPGIMG_2601.JPGIMG_2602.JPGIMG_2604.JPG

This is a comparison with my other (cheaper) Eyes:
IMG_2599.JPG

To my surprise the Sling Ring Box contained 2 (!) rings! Also metal (brass) and quite heavy.

IMG_2605.JPGIMG_2610.JPGIMG_2609.JPGIMG_2608.JPGIMG_2607.JPGIMG_2611.JPG

Compared to my cheaper Chinese version both Sling Rings are a little bigger and more detailed:

IMG_2612.JPGIMG_2613.JPG

I really must say KillerBody did a good job on these replica's!
What I have seen they did a proper job on the whole costume too, I might regret by now not getting a complete KillerBody Doctor Strange costume...it's sold out as far as I can see... :(

Last edited:
II agree with all of that. The costume is every bit as well- done and just needs a little tweaking to be really spot-on. I just wish it was a little larger. My seamstress can fix that but it would have been a lot easier to take it in than it is to let it out. If you are slender, it would be nearly perfect.

I am working on suspenders and a through-both-tunics nut-and-bolt system to take the weight of the cape.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back