Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

http://www.creatorsofwrittensins.com/?p=4118
I'm going to assume that this is one of us? CosView has posted to FB trying to ID this cosplayer if you the owner wished to claim responsibility.

Not sure who it is, but I do recognize that mostly his costume is this ebay version for sale. Which isn't too bad, but of course better quality can be made if time is taken to do it yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Strange-...hash=item43eeb9adfc:m:mKwC6rIbIO43VFLhEpfAvzA

I had someone ask about my stencils today, so here are a few images of the pressed fabric:

As you can see, some of it worked great, other bits however did not hold it as well.
I have contemplated using the stencils as a stamp for dye but I don't know that it would have quite the right effect.
The back looks fine but the edging isn't defined enough for my liking.
In hindsight I could have just got them printed in metal/CNC milled and heated the stencil directly..
So now I'm wondering if I cut out a custom solder tip, I could press the bits better and define them more...

- - - Updated - - -

And yes. I cheated on sewing them on..

Attachments

• 20160921_215708.jpg
    20160921_215708.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 321
  • 20160921_215828.jpg
    20160921_215828.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 296
  • 20160921_215721.jpg
    20160921_215721.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 340
  • 20160921_215634.jpg
    20160921_215634.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 374
  • 20160921_215851.jpg
    20160921_215851.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 433
I can't for the life of me find my file for the laser cut grid pattern but it's pretty easy to make as all I did was tessellate the one X shape repeatedly and line up the corners.
I found my edging file but it won't let me upload it cause it's too big.. so now it's zipped

Attachments

• screenshot.zip
    273.4 KB · Views: 193
So I wore my cosplay to a convention over the weekend. Thankfully got it to a wearable state but still more details to add and weathering to be done before the premiere. Other than that pretty damn happy with how it all came together and that my wig and beard worked out haha

34936f086100d1c96542c82345456d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where did you find 3D files for the belt buckles? Apologies if I missed that in this thread somewhere.

EDIT; I found the awesome belt buckle files on Shapeways.com by Prop's Shop. The rings aren't downloadable though. :(

Last edited:
I can hardly believe that it's a week until this gets released! We're already booking in for the midnight showing...so stoked! :cool

Does anyone have tips on the collar? I tried interfacing but it won't stand. I've been thinking about craft foam, but wanted to hear what you all were doing.

I also need a pattern for it, Mine looks BAD.
Whenever I need a huge standing collar, I use the thickest iron-on interfacing(of course!), but I also add it to the yoke area as well, usually a couple of inches will do, all around the yoke to the front of the cloak. That should do the trick. Also, for this cloak I am making a front and back yoke of bucket plastic, and attaching the cloak to that-otherwise, it's just too heavy to stay on!

- - - Updated - - -

Where did these pics come from?

PHOTO DUMP!
I figured out the collar using quilt batting! After I took these, I also ran a wire through the edge seam so I can fix the shape as I need.

I made a piece to back up the belts, and sewed the arm wraps.

I weathered a pair of boots I bought and put the strapping on with shoe goo. The boots are brand new, and black, so any shading/weathering is paint.

449a5f326a56f1a56478e63bb709844e.jpg
51c11bb407aaa3d0a6fb10ee6206b74e.jpg
c88d56897149f944539a528d539b766e.jpg
833461298a9291b892ca244907a9a887.jpg
7c9b2446c1dfc97f97de15e53eb913c2.jpg
b4b769b8995367835dee3be2a9bafa18.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So the tabard and trousers are made of denim. Perhaps someone has mentioned this before but I wasn't aware of it until just now. That is going to make it so much easier. I was thinking of using linen (of which I have about 12 metres) and thought that I would dye it to get the various colours. Finding the various blues in denim is going to be so much easier than dying the right colour. I imagine that I will use linen for the shirt.

I've not made this particular cape/cloak before but I've made a number of historical costumes and to get that sort of drape and movement it needs a curved bottom. Rectangles lie very flat against the body with little to no flow. Good luck. Very much looking forward to how this turns out. :)

Hey, who's the lady who got interviewed at the premiere? Is she here?

It was I, and I am now. :)
(I'm a long time lurker here and on the RPF FB, but only finally made an account here now.)

The costume still looked a bit wonky because it was unfinished, but I was so happy I managed to finish it enough to wear it for the premiere. I thought I'd have enough time to finish it all before then but ended up not being able to finish everything I wanted to, far from it.
It's particularly telling when it comes to the cloak collar, which I just McGuyvered into a random shape since I didn't have time to make the actual one before the event. Hopefully by the opening day I'll be ready! :)

Also, I didn't have time to finish my own version of that either so that gorgeous Eye of Agamotto I was wearing was the one made by the wonderful The Prop Lord.
I'm sure he'll be happy to know that Benedict Cumberbatch himself loved it, even more when I lit it up for him to see. :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back